C unit Loads?

flatbedin

Seasoned Expediter
I am trying to break into the expediting industrie after almost 9 years of being a maintenance manager/supervisor in an Industrial setting. I have a strong business background, and have read just about every post on OE. I understand what the ups and downs are of the industry, but still have a few questions.

I plan on buying a used 99 truck to get started until my cash flow reserves are built up, and I have more experience and know the industry a little better. With a C unit, no air brakes, is a class C CDL all that is required, or do most companies require a class B?

I will get the hazmat indorsement, but do not want to go to Canada. Will any companies out there take me on with no experience in expediting, but a strong background in driving with a good record, maintenance, and business management?

Thanks in advance for all the advice..

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
flatbedin

My company cannot sign you on due to insurance restrictions that require two years experience with your present CDL; However I can advise you about your choice of vehicles. Many of our customers have restrictions on the age of equipment allowed into their facilities; for those having restrictions, 6 years seems to be the norm. Choosing a 1999 vehicle may be much less costly for you to purchase, however restrictions on the loads you can handle (if some company would accept your truck) and the maintenance necessary for the vehicle would have you in an up hill struggle from day one.
There are many different opinions regarding C units vs D units, each person arriving at that opinion from personal experiences. I believe that the D unit offers more options on loads than the C and my company will not sign on any C units, due to limited weight and many times limited sizes.
I am certain there are many owners out there who like the C units, however think about the times you may miss out on a load because you cannot fit another skid or the weight exceeds the limits you have placed on your services.
Again, everyone has their own beliefs, however if you are in southern Texas and a load is offered to Windsor Ontario, your decision to stay out of Canada limits your use and your income.
There will be those who tell you that going into Canada is not worth it, but those who do make the trips have more flexibility and more load offers than those who do not...(speaking for my company only! )

In order to be successful in any industry, you should develop your skills and abilities to the highest level possible, which in this industry means having the best equipment you can afford, a can do attitude, and going wherever the freight takes you.

Best of luck with your choices in our industry.

Tom Robertson
owner
A. Blair Enterprises
22 years

targuard86

Expert Expediter
A 99 truck and refusing to go to Canada will limit your choices and cut into your income to the point I'm not sure it will be worth it to you. You can find a company that will take you and the truck but most small companies don't have the freight network to get you home so your deadhead may cut into your profits to the point that you have no profit.

Its possible but make sure you run the numbers before you do anything!!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Flatbedin;

The crux of your question is "will any expediter carriers hire me as an owner-operator without any (recent) driving experience?". Surely, you will find a carrier that can hire without experience - I believe Panther's ads currently are stating that no experience is necessary (correct me if I am wrong Panther recruiters). Most carrier's hiring criteria is driven by their underwriting insurance company. Most will require at least one year verifiable driving experience, others more - 2 years.

A suggestion is to apply to all of the companies you are interested in. An application is not a commitment on your behalf - just shows your potential interest in that company. These companies can then begin their qualification process (running your MVR, employment verifications, criminal background checks, etc...)and get you approved or qualified prior to getting the truck. You can then choose which carrier appeals to you the most and schedule orientation with them.

Good luck in your ventures. Keep researching the posts here on EO. There is much useful info here.

Best regards,
HotFr8Recruiter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would guess that C and D load availability varies with the carrier. In our case with FedEx Custom Critical, Diane and I have driven both DR and CR units ("R" for reefer). Our numbers show that we gross (revenue to the truck) as much with a CR unit as we did with DR units previously driven.

If you review the revenue sheet published by FedEx Custom Critical, you will see the revenue difference in team-driven C and D units is slight. While the edge goes to D units, the difference can be made up with a load or two. Thus, an above-average C-unit team can easily outperform an average or below-average D-unit team.

The kind of freight you haul varies some between carriers. What is true with FedEx may not hold true with others.