C & M Good? Bad?

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I guess I was lucky, had the funds to get started and not have to get any advances. Never had to pay an escrow either. I just see a red flag with them holding my money.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two things you better watch out for, Rob:

1. Are your food stamps usable out of state? You better check before you go hungry :eek: .
They might not be usable in your situation for four reasons: a. State welfare systems assume that if you're on public assistance, you can't afford long term/distance travel; b. You might not be allowed to leave your state without losing your benefits; c. The accounting systems are different for each state, e.g., Ohio most likely cannot handle nor be reimbursed for New Jersey food stamps, and d. You cannot (at least in Pennsylvania) use food stamps for prepared food such as restaurant meals.
IF you bring all your food with you from home, AND wait until you're back in your home state to restock, you might be okay :) . Just be prepared to pay cash for perishables (milk, etc) and for coffee & donuts at the J.

2. Both you and your F/O better watch the weight in the van! The winch sounds cool, but all the toys in the world won't help you if you don't have enough capacity to haul the freight you need to haul, nor especially if you go overweight. You might find yourself leaving your precious case of ramen noodles and box of jumbo cans of ravioli at the chicken coop, because if you leave his winch behind to make legal weight, your F/O will lighten your wallet double quick time :eek:

That said, good luck and Godspeed to ya :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I was lucky, had the funds to get started and not have to get any advances. Never had to pay an escrow either. I just see a red flag with them holding my money.

My 1st carrier was $1,000....$100 a week for 10 weeks...
2nd carrier was $800....@ $50 a week
Latest carrier is $500.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Im not 100% sure how or what the winch system includes. I was multi taskin and doing three things at once so some info escaped me lol. And I know my food stamps arent goin state by state, just here in Michigan so I just plan on buyin as much as I can that ill be able to get to work in the van and go from there. Sucks doing this being flat broke but I been out of work for three years almost four now and kinda gotta do something some how some way ya know?

**edited P.S**

I do know C&M is going to cover the physical and drug test, or my fleet owner is, one of the two, but I just got to stay with my f.o for two months which Im thinking that won't be a problem :) Sounds like C&M is going to be a good launch pad for me :)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

Some see it as that, no doubt. I know these guys pretty good though. It's just my opinion, but I think they can weather more of a storm than most out here. I don't know of anyone EVER not being paid and paid on time.

I'm not sure what their reasoning is. I've never asked actually. It is what it is. Their a good company and they help and respect their drivers. The rest can be dealt with.

To the original poster:
You do have to understand that your under funded to start with. It's going to be a tough stint for you during that first 3-4 weeks until you get a check. For showers, you will get shower credits at the truckstops. Have you fleetowner explain it to you. You shouldn't have to buy any showers. I have found also that most of the time, you can ask on the cb if someone has an extra shower credit and a lot of times, somebody will offer one up.

As for a fuel card. I'm not aware of one through C&M. Your fleet owner probably has one and that's all the same. If your not buying fuel, you don't care anyway as long as there is money on the card when you need fuel. Each truckstop has their own rewards card where you accumulate points as well as shower credits. You will want to get a card from each truckstop chain that you will be using. Your fleet owner should be able to fill you in on this. You might be able to get a card mailed to you through the truckstops website if there is time. I think I've picked up every card I have at the fuel desk of the truckstop. Anyway, your FO should be able to explain all of this.

Your biggest hurdle is to be able to pay for food until you start getting a check. I wouldn't consider food stamps as an option on the road. What food you can buy and store in the van could be bought before you leave home, but I wouldn't count on being able to use them on the road. If I were you, I think I would just make it a point to explain your situation to whoever conducts the orientation. You may well be the only person there. If not, it's pretty laid back, they won't mind you pulling them to the side to talk about a personal matter. Their a pretty good bunch and if there is something they can do to help, they will...and they will explain it you how they can help. There's nothing like being up front with people.

Good Luck!

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Well thanks for that insight Rocket! A lot of valiuable info in that post :)

I do know its not going to be pretty the first few weeks. And the food stamps will only be good in michigan, so im thinking I may have to take out a small loan just to get by, the F.O did say C&M has a small interest rate like if you borrow 200 bucks they only charge like 12 bucks for it, something like that. I hate the fact that I don't have anything saved up for this. But when your unemployed for almost four years it gets brutal. And when I was working I was use to getting by on like 100 bucks a week, so hopefully I can pull this gig off for like the three weeks lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well thanks for that insight Rocket! A lot of valiuable info in that post :)

I do know its not going to be pretty the first few weeks. And the food stamps will only be good in michigan, so im thinking I may have to take out a small loan just to get by, the F.O did say C&M has a small interest rate like if you borrow 200 bucks they only charge like 12 bucks for it, something like that. I hate the fact that I don't have anything saved up for this. But when your unemployed for almost four years it gets brutal. And when I was working I was use to getting by on like 100 bucks a week, so hopefully I can pull this gig off for like the three weeks lol

Give yourself some credit Rob...at least you are trying...patience and have faith in dispatch...

keep in mind...fuel is usually cheaper AWAY from the truckstops....every 2 bucks ya save the better ya eat...

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks OVM and Im trying to stay positive which over all I am. Always seams like once I get things figured out somethin else comes along. But I suppose thats life. And I better get use to my days never bein the same again lol. I again know this isn't going to be easy but I think I can pull it off. And I tell ya, getting my actual CDL in the mail today felt the biggest thing of self accomplishment that ive ever felt. Like knowing all my hard work is about to pay off.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks OVM and Im trying to stay positive which over all I am. Always seams like once I get things figured out somethin else comes along. But I suppose thats life. And I better get use to my days never bein the same again lol. I again know this isn't going to be easy but I think I can pull it off. And I tell ya, getting my actual CDL in the mail today felt the biggest thing of self accomplishment that ive ever felt. Like knowing all my hard work is about to pay off.

I've been CV some 11 years now..I know a lot of tricks....oops I mean tips...

Are you going to have internet on the road?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

Well, actually...lol. You've done a lot of hard work so that you can be available now for some real hard work...lol Sorry, just had to say it. It's not easy to get started and it was tough on me too when I started. I've been there and most people here have too. You'll make it, you just have to be determined and make smart decisions.

The trick to leveling out those ups and downs is to keep your nose to the grindstone and don't waste a single penny on anything that is not absolutely necassary until you get a reserve built up. Then guard that reserve and keep building it like it's your last meal. At some point, you'll realize that your stable enough that the ups and downs of life and business don't drag you down any more. That's when you can feel good about your position in life and start looking forward instead of back.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
OVM I do plan on havin some form of internet with me. Im bringing along a lap top and I got a smart phone. I just got to try and find some form of good GPS, I know my phone has it but I got to try and figure out how to get it to talk if it does.

And Rocket the way I see it, im getting into something that i've never done before and I want to research the hell out of it. And I belong to like three forums that are either related to expediting or trucking. So I've got a good grasp on what goes on. I know im not the most knowledgeable person in this industry, and I will never claim to be. But with everyones help here I think I got a good idea whats to be expected once I get going. The big things ive learned is one you never know whats gonna happen out there and two your gonna have good weeks in this business along with bad weeks. And no day will be the same.

So id like to think here pretty soon my hard work will start to pay itself off and really get down to business. And like you said I just gotta know that there WILL be ups and downs just like in any other business. Plus Id like to think I got a good support crew here lol

turritrans

Expert Expediter
Don't know anything about their program, but I know Cal, Mike and Dan over there. Good people that do a good job!

As far as holding three weeks back, not sure but they don't have escrole and us carriers are waiting 30-60 days to get paid so that maybe why.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bill..with all due respect....your post has been moved to the Truck Wash...for discussion by Admin..

This is about C&M...not government policies..

Thank You....:)

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
No problem. Please feel free to delete the post. I'll keep my political opinions to my self in the future.:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No problem. Please feel free to delete the post. I'll keep my political opinions to my self in the future.:p

Bill...take that political issue and even this one to the soapbox...no problem....;)

Thanks for your understanding..:)...Ken aka OVM

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I have known Cal and Mike for years. They are two of the best guys I know in this business. We do a lot of business with them and they have always been solid when it comes to money. I would trust them completely and I would recommend them highly.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Rob: you've got a GREAT support crew here - people want to see you succeed, because being unemployed is brutal, and being broke just plain sucks.
But for those times when you need an answer quicker than online, you might want to find someone [or two] who you can call with questions - maybe another driver with C&M, if you talk to them...
I really don't know how I did this before I knew anyone to call for answers, lol, but I know it's a lot better having people to share it all with.
Enjoy the ride! :)

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Rob1982, as Robert Service said " I'm not as wise as the lawyer guys, but strictly between us two"
How does someone buy & pay the monthly fees for a "Smart Phone" if they cannot buy their own food?

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
OVM I do plan on havin some form of internet with me. Im bringing along a lap top and I got a smart phone. I just got to try and find some form of good GPS, I know my phone has it but I got to try and figure out how to get it to talk if it does.

I don't have a smart phone, but I do have a gps. In a van, I would think the smart phone would do ok. If you can access google maps, you will probably get more accurate mapping to physical addresses than my gps. Personally, I turned the volume off on my gps long ago. You can use a map to verify your overall route and use the gps to get you to the address once your off the interstate. I prefer to just watch the gps as opposed to listening to it. Work with what ya got. You have a smart phone, use that. I would advise figuring out some way to keep it in clear view while driving so that your not taking your eyes completely off the road to watch it. My gps is mounted in a very good location where I can watch it safely while driving.

There was a time ya know..when nobody had a gps of any kind. We got it done then and you can now. That's just one of the battles you'll have to fight until you can afford your own gadgets. Grab them boot straps, give 'em a good pull and good luck :)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Rob1982, as Robert Service said " I'm not as wise as the lawyer guys, but strictly between us two"
How does someone buy & pay the monthly fees for a "Smart Phone" if they cannot buy their own food?

Bill,

Yeras ago when I lived in California, I helped out with a food ministry. Being based in a place like Irvine, one of the things that we were instructed on was not to turn away what they termed as "up and outers." These were the people who showed up driving a BMW or Mercedes, but were in need of assistence. Not everyone on food stamps has been there for their entire adult life. Some have just had good situations turn unexpectedly.