C & M Good? Bad?

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
So I mistakenly put this in the wrong spot but just copy and pasted what I had there, so if the mods see this post to if you want you can delete the one I posted in the welcome lounge. Again sorry for the hassel :)

So im lookin at driving for C & M transport out of Painsville Ohio. Ive seen a lot of good things, hardly no bad things. Just heard my first bad thing about em tonight, so was just wondering if anyone else had any new info.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
re: C & M Good? Bad?

So I mistakenly put this in the wrong spot but just copy and pasted what I had there, so if the mods see this post to if you want you can delete the one I posted in the welcome lounge. Again sorry for the hassel :)

So im lookin at driving for C & M transport out of Painsville Ohio. Ive seen a lot of good things, hardly no bad things. Just heard my first bad thing about em tonight, so was just wondering if anyone else had any new info.

Rob...you'll never find 100% agreement...some carriers have some kind of flaw to some drivers....
In my years and hearing about C&M..it has mostly been good stuff....

What are ya going to be driving?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Rob, the point that OVM was making that not everyone is a good match for every company is true, so while gathering info on any company, take all of it with a grain of salt.... now that being siad, I have talked with a few of their van drivers in the last 3 months, all of them were happy with the company and the one thing they all said was that dispatch was very good...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The most important thing about getting opinions from drivers about companies is to get details. When I was a truck driver I was told not to work for a company because they are a bunch of a--holes, the guy was right I couldn't stand any of the office personnel they all had terrible attitudes towards the drivers. On the other side of the coin though I always had a good paycheck, health insurance, and I was home every weekend except 1 or 2 in over a year of working for them. For me I do what I do to make money not get respect from the office, if they respect me and I respect them you can have a great working relationship but it is not my primary focus. You may be different, you may find having a bunch of jerks working in the office is more than you can deal with so you would want more detail from someone like me that says a company is good.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I looked at there web site and found this:

Do I have to Escrow?
No. Escrow accounts are not used by C&M, although, we do hold back your first three weeks of pay.

Makes me wonder why they would hold back three weeks of pay.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Do I have to Escrow?
No. Escrow accounts are not used by C&M, although, we do hold back your first three weeks of pay.

Because the M in C&M wanted it that way. That's all I know.

And yes, Chef, the dispatch is, IMO, the best in the business. And I've been where you're at. They aren't called the "carrier's carrier" for nothin.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Do I have to Escrow?

They hold back 3 weeks in lieu of escrow. There are companies that do a holdback and have escrow. On the flipside, I worked for one company that had no escrow and started paying right away. Holdback/escrow is a very insignificant piece of the puzzle when considering a carrier, IMHO.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
C & M have good people in their office. When we deal carrier to carrier, there are many companies where we like working with some people and try to avoid others. I can't think of anyone at C & M that would cause us to do that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
nearly evryone pays 1 week back soooo
Escrow is 2 plus the week you work?

or is it 3 plus the 1 you work total 4....big dif.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think,(I'm not under oath, am I?), if I started this past, say, Tuesday, I'd get my first pay the 22nd.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If C&M is holding three weeks pay and you start on the first. Your not seeing a check until the 28th, at the earliest.:rolleyes: That's a lot of fuel if your busy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If C&M is holding three weeks pay and you start on the first. Your not seeing a check until the 28th, at the earliest.:rolleyes: That's a lot of fuel if your busy.

Well that goes to the wisdom of having a nest egg behind ya...That way C&M doesn't get hoppers....hopefully committed owners and REAL businessmen...not just wheelholders.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I'd say if they are holding 3 pay checks - I would want comdata or another way to pay for the fuel. That's a big chunk of your cash to be out there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd say if they are holding 3 pay checks - I would want comdata or another way to pay for the fuel. That's a big chunk of your cash to be out there.
LM....I think that is the overall strategy of C&M...they don't want floaters....they don't want trucks that are fly by the seat of the pants...

I like it...I think MORE should do it...especially in the CV market...

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
LM....I think that is the overall strategy of C&M...they don't want floaters....they don't want trucks that are fly by the seat of the pants...

I like it...I think MORE should do it...especially in the CV market...

If I'm not mistaken, they certainly aren't an oddity. There are others who do it that way as well. Certainly not for the faint of heart. Sure puts the "I" in the "IC" status.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Well that goes to the wisdom of having a nest egg behind ya...That way C&M doesn't get hoppers....hopefully committed owners and REAL businessmen...not just wheelholders.

I couldn't have said it better myself. C&M is a stand up bunch and they don't mind asking their contractors to be also. I hear their a great a bunch of people to work with :) That 3 week float might be tough on a newbie, but if you've been in the business for more than a few months and can't handle a 3 week float, .... well, that's a statement of it's own.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Well instead of just replying to everyone individually, I'll say I do like what im hearing from every one here. I knew every company wasn't perfect but Ive seen a LOT of excellent things about C&M

And about the fuel, Ive talked to my fleet owner, he did say they have like a fleet fuel card to where its like the credit card and that comes with the van the day I pick it up. I didnt ask why but the f.o said it would be about three weeks to get paid, but I got food stamps so some of that will go towards getting stuff to eat. And my soon to be f.o did say they do cash advances so hopefully I can borrow enough for shower purposes and maybe get something for tolls.

And I think it was OntarioVanMan asked what i'll be driving. Its a "older van" a 2004 GMC. But the F.O sounds like hes putting a lot of stuff in it to make it a good living space for the size. He put two batteries in the back to run electirical stuff like lap tops and stuff like that. Only has one cig lighter which I got a splitter to run a CB and a GPS. He put a van in the roof that is run by a thermostat, and the vent has a sensor to if I have it open if it starts raining the sensor picks that up and closes the vent. He also said something about putting LED Lights in the back. And also going to get a 8 inch thick memory foam matress for the van. And hes putting in a winch system to help unload the stuff. So it sounds like a pretty good set up.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well instead of just replying to everyone individually, I'll say I do like what im hearing from every one here. I knew every company wasn't perfect but Ive seen a LOT of excellent things about C&M

And about the fuel, Ive talked to my fleet owner, he did say they have like a fleet fuel card to where its like the credit card and that comes with the van the day I pick it up. I didnt ask why but the f.o said it would be about three weeks to get paid, but I got food stamps so some of that will go towards getting stuff to eat. And my soon to be f.o did say they do cash advances so hopefully I can borrow enough for shower purposes and maybe get something for tolls.

And I think it was OntarioVanMan asked what i'll be driving. Its a "older van" a 2004 GMC. But the F.O sounds like hes putting a lot of stuff in it to make it a good living space for the size. He put two batteries in the back to run electirical stuff like lap tops and stuff like that. Only has one cig lighter which I got a splitter to run a CB and a GPS. He put a van in the roof that is run by a thermostat, and the vent has a sensor to if I have it open if it starts raining the sensor picks that up and closes the vent. He also said something about putting LED Lights in the back. And also going to get a 8 inch thick memory foam matress for the van. And hes putting in a winch system to help unload the stuff. So it sounds like a pretty good set up.

Sounds like a pretty good man to start with. Now please tell me what is a winch system. Mine is a strap and hook and fork lift, is there something I'm missing?:cool:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Seems like everyone is down on a driver not wanting to wait 3 weeks to get paid. My question is why does the company need to hold it 3 weeks, are they having cash flow problems and need my money? Where I'm at I get paid in 2 or 3 days of a delivery not weeks.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems like everyone is down on a driver not wanting to wait 3 weeks to get paid. My question is why does the company need to hold it 3 weeks, are they having cash flow problems and need my money? Where I'm at I get paid in 2 or 3 days of a delivery not weeks.

The driver merely said what the policy was...and no one is DOWN on him...

They don't NEED to hold it...BUT that is their policy...it works for them....
As opposed to say $50 a week for 10 weeks...
If one is not in the position to float a mere 3 weeks then maybe a rethink of what one is doing in this biz to begin with...