C-Link question

aileron

Expert Expediter
Let me know please what you would do in my situation.

My C-link hasn't worked right since the day it was installed. It would not track right, sometimes better than others, but most of the time it shows me 70 miles away from where I actually am. I even got a service failure because of this, even though it wasn't my fault, and there wasn't anything that I could have done, other than flying there.... but that is for another thread.

I called them up, and they sent me to a place to get it fixed. They changed the dome with another used dome. The guy almost put a new one out of the box, but fedex called him and he put the used one on instead. Still wouldn't track right most of the time. I went back a few weeks and they changed the black box with another one even older than the one I had on. Still works the same. Every time I shut down I need to go online and see if they show my position or not. The bad part is that when you are at your home express center it shows your home town, not your actual position. Then I have to call them or send them a message to find out where they poll me.

Now, I talked with a guy in the c-link department, forget his name, and he sent me to get it serviced. Would you waste your time and fuel to get it exchanged with another used one that still works the same? Or I should just go over and over to get it 'fixed' until they get the point and let them install a new one that works? It is just frustrating paying $30 a week for something that doesn't work. I used to work for another company and I had a QualComm installed new from the factory, and never had a single problem with it. What should I do?

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
One good job offerred because your c-link is working properly , plus no future problems makes up for wasted time in a repair shop. This time before you leave the shop make sure they do a complete calibration on the system and confirm it is working correctly. JMO Jack

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jack that is what I see also you have two choices keep calling in and having them ping your position or keep trying to get the system fixed. One job lost due to QC not working properly and you are really going to be upset.

I sure do not blame you for being very frustrated over this situation but this is also one of those deals where you really have no choice but to keep trying. I would also keep calling c-link and possible go to my contract coordinator or even contractor relations and see if they will help you get this resolved

ATeam

Retired Expediter
D Team Brothers' point about verifying the repair is a good one. After you leave the shop, have dispatch ping you and tell you where they think you are. Then drive to another town and do it again. If they cannot accurately locate you, at least you will be close to a shop. At some point, I would insist on a totally new install. Part of the $30 a month is getting what you pay for.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
D Team Brothers' point about verifying the repair is a good one. After you leave the shop, have dispatch ping you and tell you where they think you are. Then drive to another town and do it again. If they cannot accurately locate you, at least you will be close to a shop. At some point, I would insist on a totally new install. Part of the $30 a week is getting what you pay for.

We once went a couple weeks without a working C-link. Offers came in by telephone and we did not feel we missed any loads. Dispatch knew where we were by the phone calls we made to report our position.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You are correct. I edited the earlier post to correct it. $30 a week is all the more reason to insist on a unit that works and that it be provided without delay.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I agree 100% if we are going to pay that much it needs to work and work well. When we have to resort to using our phone to call in to check our location I feel as if we are being double billed.
We have had a few problems with ours off and on and they are a pain to have worked on but to be efficient at what we are doing and to be paid correctly the QualComm has to work.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Now, I talked with a guy in the c-link department, forget his name, and he sent me to get it serviced. Would you waste your time and fuel to get it exchanged with another used one that still works the same? Or I should just go over and over to get it 'fixed' until they get the point and let them install a new one that works? It is just frustrating paying $30 a week for something that doesn't work. I used to work for another company and I had a QualComm installed new from the factory, and never had a single problem with it. What should I do?

That would be Tom Lindberg I believe that deals with the QC's. As far as getting a new unit,I would think that they are very rare as far as FECC is concerned. We are on our third truck,and fourth QC unit and none of them have been completely brand new. (did have one brand new dome once )

They once had us haul a load of QC's from the "palace" in Green to PJ's in Canton,there were approx. 40-50 units that had come back from being refurbished and being sent to PJ's to be installed on vehicles. Out of all of those units not a one looked anywhere near new,and some looked darned near antique.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When they re-installed your c-link,all the variables should have been checked before they sent you out.If its still not working,call Tom in C-Link and make sure he understands the problem.Ask him if you can get the new 2 piece system instaed of the 3,but in case you might like to hide,the 2 piece system is almost impossible.Just something to look for,are you sure there isnt something blocking the line of site in the dome.

aileron

Expert Expediter
When they re-installed your c-link,all the variables should have been checked before they sent you out.If its still not working,call Tom in C-Link and make sure he understands the problem.Ask him if you can get the new 2 piece system instaed of the 3,but in case you might like to hide,the 2 piece system is almost impossible.Just something to look for,are you sure there isnt something blocking the line of site in the dome.

When I signed on with Fedex I requested a 2 piece, since that is what I had on from the previous carrier. I was promised one by the recruiter. Well, when I showed up at PJ (the most incompetent pieces of %^&& I have ever seen in my life) they said either they put a 3 piece on or I can go home. Finally I agreed, they wanted to put the black box in the middle of the F&^% wall, finally they agreed to put it somewhere out of the way. Then I told them speciffically not to splice into any wires, since I have a plug that is there, the other carrier used it for their qualcomm. When I got home and I opened it up, they cut some wires, they really butchered my truck, I was so mad. Even I would have done a better job, and no pay them the $300 (i think that is how much it was). Not to mention that water leaked in from their dome instalation.
After all this, do you think they will give me a 2 piece? Never in a million years. Every time I talk to them to give me a new clink because this one does not work, they tell me that they are working on an upgrade for all of us, just to go and get it fixed, to waste my time and fuel so they can put other used equipment on that still works (read as does not work well) just the same as the one I had on.
Now I have to go and get the keyboard replaced since sometime the botom line is blank, and I have to reset it so all works normally.
Can you explain a bit about the hiding? I mean, what do you mean by it?
No obstruction there, I drive a sprinter and the big ugly dome stands up there, clear of anything, like an eyesore.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
with the black box,u can disconect,thats how you can hide,just twist the big fat cable 1/4 turn ,your invisable now
About the 2 piece unit,your cable wont work on a three piece,they have to install a new cable.I have a two piece in mine.cause cable was already installed and was to much trouble for them to take out

Last edited:

aileron

Expert Expediter
Today I had a load that canceled and on the way home I stopped at the C-Link place in Atlanta and they replaced the dome and the keyboard. It seems that it works good now. We will see if it lasts.
Happy New Year to you all.