C-9 Cat. Engine Troubles

Riverbob1

Expert Expediter
I'm operating an '06 FL M2-112 with a C-9 Cat coupled to an Allison six-speed. The truck has 56K miles. The problem is not real serious, but annoying. Idling: at an idle, with the rpm ramped up a little for extra temp. and oil pressure, the engine surges. The engine's rpm bumps up about 25 rpm or so, then decelerates to the set rpm. this cycling is constant and repeats at about 1/2 second intervals. Note: when the primary engine cooling fan cuts on, problem goes away. Highway driving: Same issue when running on cruise anywhere between 55mph to 70 mph, but only when on a slight downgrade. On an upgrade, no troubles. Cat says they're trying to develop a software patch to fix what they refer to as a "known issue". I'm personally aware of four other trucks with the same problem. Anyone else suffering a similar issue? Any luck getting it resolved?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have roughly 35,000 miles and don't have this issue. Have you had this problem since new?
My other thought is to have your truck looked at by a Cat Engine only dealer. Not a truck dealership. Their software ect updates more frequently than some of the dealers.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

cornerstone

Expert Expediter
That was one of the minor issues I was having also. The dealer reflashed the computer and it went away. I would take it to the dealer and have them reflash the computer with the latest release.

Cornerstone

Riverbob1

Expert Expediter
Thanks for responding;

To expand a little: We spent almost 9 days at F/L Dealership having this problem looked into. The engine's ECM was flashed twice during diagnostics. In addition, six injectors were replaced, the Heui pump was replaced, two fuel pressure regulators were replaced, our engine oil and filters were replaced, and myriad tweaks and bumps performed. After the fourth day, the dealership was in almost constant contact with Caterpillar technical services; all to no avail. Ultimately Cat. suggested to put the truck back on the road and await the development of a software patch. This was over a month ago. Recently our owner put another unit in the shop for the same performance characteristics; this at a Caterpillar engine repair facility. Result was the same; no fix and go back on the road 'till the patch is developed. I just wondered how pervasive among C-9's tthis problem was.

cornerstone

Expert Expediter
How recently did he put the other truck in the shop for the same problem? My truck was reflashed last Friday and it stopped the problem. Maybe the new fix is out.

Cornerstone

Riverbob1

Expert Expediter
We went through our ordeal in mid-July. The other truck I mentioned was out of the shop about one week ago. Maybe it's time to try again. I've been in touch with Cat. Target, a customer service hot line Cat operates. I'll check with them, and thanks.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That's too bad. I really wanted one of these, but Pete is out in the bleachers. I would now get an ISL, but I have to go to a new 384 (short nose 385- the tanker spec for regional). If I go that far, I might as well go to an ISM. From all the dealers and O/O's I talk to, they have a lot of problems with the new Cats...From my experience, you need to find the best dealership who fixes problems, and go to them for any major electrical/diagnostic/engine issues...