Buying used truck

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I drove last year for O/O and have decided to purchase my own used truck.
I plan on having oil analysis, dyno, ECM, review of maintenance/repair records, physical examination of entire truck and road trip performed before I purchase.

Any other suggestions as to what would be appropriate measures before signing dotted line?

Thanks
John

bruchar

Expert Expediter
Hi John,
Congratulations on your decision to purchase your own truck. My only advise to you is to go with a REPUTABLE dealer. Through our own experience stay away from FYDA freightliner. They are the sharks in the industry. I can recommend Knoxville Freightliner at least they take care of you after the sale too, and actually care about turning out a quality truck. Not just a pasted together former fleet truck. Just my opinion...but it can save you lots of money and aggravation in the end. Best of luck to you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I drove last year for O/O and have decided to purchase my
>own used truck.
>I plan on having oil analysis, dyno, ECM, review of
>maintenance/repair records, physical examination of entire
>truck and road trip performed before I purchase.

One more thing, if the dealer refuses to allow anyone of these things, walk away. for some reason some people are too emotional about trucks and seem to have 'that' truck. They are just a tool and should be selected as such. There seems to be a glut of trucks on the market and it is a buyers market. Fleets are turning over their trucks to get into the 2006 trucks and there will be more on the lots.

pantherii

Expert Expediter
>I drove last year for O/O and have decided to purchase my
>own used truck.
>I plan on having oil analysis, dyno, ECM, review of
>maintenance/repair records, physical examination of entire
>truck and road trip performed before I purchase.
>
>Any other suggestions as to what would be appropriate
>measures before signing dotted line?
>
>Thanks
>John

I plan on purchasing a used straight truck this year, and have been told by several mechanics that work on trucks to buy either a freightliner or western star and not to get a truck with a cat they say that yellow paint should be green with the amount of money it costs to repair, so he said to go with a detroit.
my question is if you buy a truck from and individual or even a dealership where do you get that stuff done, the oil analysis,dyno,ecm.
also what is a dyno and ecm

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>also what is a dyno and ecm

A dynomometer is a device that enables technicians to test vehicles under load and through a range of simulated driving conditions. Can't say much about trucks, but when I used to use them on cars (worked for a while as an auto mechanic), the drive wheels would be placed on rollers and the car could be "driven" at street and highway speeds. The rollers could be loaded to simulate hills and to stress-test the car. With a number of exhaust and elecrtrical probes attached to different parts of the car, a thorough analysis can be done.

ECM: Electronic Control Module that gathers data from a host of sensors positioned through the vehicle and sends data to components telling them what to do and when. The ECM also stores some data about the truck's operations and runs or helps run a number of diagnostic tests. On some trucks, ECM messages can come to the driver via blinking codes on the check engine light; e.g. five blinks, pause, five blinks. Technicians have devices that plug into the truck to obtain more data from the ECM.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A dynometer is a machine that measures the power the truck puts out. The drive tires sit on a platform that has rollers hooked up to a computer. The ECM is the Engine Control Module. It holds the history of the engine. Speed driven, idle time, miles...

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can get an oil analysis at any of the Speedco truck maintenance locations. Costs about $20. and you will get a printout as to what is showing up in the oil. Example,high levels of Glycol could indicate a head gasket leak.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When we have sold trucks we always provide a dyno and several oil tests. Having all of the receipts of work performed is also a big plus. It is amazing how many don't have them, or very few.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am wondering if anyone here does any dyno testing on their trucks?

Well anyway here is what I know about dyno testing, it is a relative test of the power of the engine (I know duh) but the test also covers blow by, a measurement of the condition of the rings, pistons etc… and a bunch of other things. The place I went to was Toledo spring services.

So the last time I did this (last year) here is what I found out;

The engine produced 87% of its rated power – this is very good, anything less than 80% indicates problems. This is very important.

The blow by was 2.75 inches of mercury. Very good also, anything over 5 inches of mercury means I have to overhaul the engine.

The truck, well it had an electrical problem so it went somewhere else.

I didn’t pay for it but understand that the cost was around $400. I was with the truck for 4, maybe 5 hours.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Once again you folks posted valuable information.

I would have thanked you earlier but I had a radical prostatectomy last Thursday and I'm just now catching up on things. Dr. said it was textbook surgery and prognosis is for full recovery. Still be some time before I hop or gently climb into my truck.

John

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
John O wish you a painless speedy recovery , praying it was all clear, ouch just read about this on John Hopkins Univ. web site. Did they do this laparoscopic? Few yrs. back I had colon section taken out by laparoscopic, saved having big incision. First one they did took 6 hrs.
Take your time for a healthy recovery. Sincerely Tom Tinker;)

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Tom Tinker, I appreciate the kind words.

I had a radical prostatectomy they gutted me from pelvic to belly button. Each day I feel stronger and will follow Dr. directions.

A good side is baseball season started and I can enjoy XM and YES all day long. In a few weeks I will be going to Lakewood Blue Claws (Philly’s Class A team) games which is only 20 minute drive from home.

Thanks

John

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On the truck side it sounds like you have things well planned out. I recently saw an ad in one of the truckstop chain magazines or maybe The Trucker newspaper for engine warranties for used trucks. I don't have it anymore but you might want to check into that at least to get details on the program.

On the health side, best wishes for a continued speedy and full recovery. Enjoy your time off the best you can and get back out here running with us as soon as you can. Take care.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Hey Leo,
Following suggestions from EO posters like yourself has made purchasing used truck much simpler and more likely save me headaches down the road.

I've googled and made a few phone calls with no luck so far getting info on extended truck warranties. Will continue to check and post any info collected.

Appreciate your kind words toward my recovery. Each day I’m feeling stronger and getting anxious to get back on the road once I get clearance.

Thanks

John