buying new trucks

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
Is there anyone that has bought a new truck, then when the warranty is up, trade it in for a new one. Is that feasable or would you have negative equity " meaning the truck is worth less than you owe because of the high milage"

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know of someone who is planning that with the Hino trucks that have 36 month unlimited mileage powertrain warranty. If you finance the truck for 36 months then it wouldn't be a problem. I don't know what length of term would be the break even point for upside down or not. I think building a repair fund big enough for an engine and running the truck a lot more years makes a much bigger bottom line.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
There is a word for the LOSS OF VALUE of a piece of equipment. Trucks are no exception. A repair fund is going to be much less expensive than a replacement fund.

Good luck on that idea, there is a term that many of us call WORKING FOR THE TRUCK, in otherwords your not selfemployed in this business, your owned and forced to work cause of the trucks financial needs not your own. Your question would seem to make one a total SLAVE to the truck. Depreciation+Repairs+Replacement Fund+Repair Fund=No $ left for Jack if Jack followed this idea. You will soon see even on a new Truck even though its bumper to bumper, at an early point not everything is covered bumper to bumper, example headlight wiring assembly, air conditioner hoses the list goes on and on.