Buying an expedite truck

Cargo

Expert Expediter
I am upgrading from a cargo van to a used expedite truck with a sleeper at the first of the new year(i.e. 2006). I've been looking at the sterlings and freightliners. I want to stay between $25,000. to $40,000. I want a truck that doesn't require a CDL and 22'and under box. The wife will be teaming up with me and therefore I am also thinking of an automatic, although not required, but she would like it that way. Can anyone help me with the specifics like:

1. How much horsepower
2. GVWR
3. DOT requirements, inspections, etc...
4. Fuel milage per gallon
5. Anything else you think I ought to know

I'd appreciate all responses. Thank you!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
1 . How much horsepower
> 2. GVWR
> 3. DOT requirements, inspections, etc...
> 4. Fuel milage per gallon
> 5. Anything else you think I ought to know

1. When shopping for used... engine condition and miles are more inportant than HP. Most Exp units are 200 to 300.

2. Under 26,000 for non CDL.(note most Exp companys require a hazmat endorsement that requires a minimum of a class C CDL)

3.Annual DOT inspecions by approved inspectors.(You company may require3 more often)

4.Fuel mileage varies from 8 to 12 mpg. The low side is automatics.

5.This size unit is refered to as a "C".A 14 ft box is usually spec`ed.(Check with your co)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm in a Sterling D unit with a Mercedes engine. It's 300hp/860tq through an Allison 6spd automatic. Last night I was climbing the 'mountains' in the Carolinas going up 26 to Tennessee. Even with only 3030 pounds of load for a total of about 24700 I was struggling on some of the hills. A couple times it had to downshift to 4th to hold about 48mph. All else being equal go for as much horsepower as you can get.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Might as well get your B cdl anyways and get a 33,000 pound truck. The extra payload is well worth it. Most companies want drivers who have a class B or better in C and D units. If you and your wife are going to team your going to want a large sleeper, couple that with a 20 foot box and your truck is going to weight 17-19K Does not leave much for freight and it opens you to over axle weight tickets because you will be running so close to gross all the time. I have seen some 26,000 pound trucks with 8,000 pound front axles. I use to drive one, empty that truck weighted 8400 on the front axle.

it was a 2001 International 4700 with the DT466 and 6 speed. Had a 48 inch flat top sleeper on it and 24 foot box. Kansas finely figured it out and put me out of service. thank god I did not own the thing. it's payload was 8500 pounds and that is if most of it was behind the rear axle! It was not spec'd right so the rear axle was set back a bit far but it gives you a idea of what your in for with a light truck.

I remember going in to the coop.. "Whatcya hauling?" my reply "pallet jack" they ask "how many?" my reply " just one why?" "your over weight on your front axle by 300 pounds, you gotta do something, are you SURE that is all that is back there?"...

The story ends with a wrecker and a tow to the state line.

Cargo

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your reply!

Do you think a "C Unit" is a good idea? Will I be able to keep loaded with OTR loads?

Thank you

Cargo

Cargo

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your reply!

For some reason I like those Sterlings. I will definitely look into the horsepower more now.

Thank you.

Cargo

Cargo

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your reply!

Thats a bummer about the tow truck. I need to watch out for load weight with truck etc...

I want to start out with a C Unit for a year or two as long as I can keep loaded and make a decent living doing so???

Thank you.

cargo

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
"C" trucks are the most requested size,acording to one recruiter.Most "D" trucks carry about 75% "C"loads.

"C"trucks carry less than 10% "B" loads.(Team)

Cargo

Expert Expediter
Thanks again for your reply.

It looks like I am on the right path. You mentioned that when shopping for a used truck "engine condition and miles are more important than HP". I've seen trucks in my price range from 192K to over 500K miles on them - I've also talked to truckers on the road(i.e. via CB) and some said that their trucks had over 900K and their still running good. I am going to be financing a truck for approximately five years and, therefore, I need a dependable truck for such business adventure - taking the above into consideration, what would you recommend???

Thank you.

Cargo

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A service manager at a Navistar dealer once told me any time you run a medium duty engine over 300k you are asking for trouble.

His experiance was of course baised on years of experience with these trucks primarly used in city delivery.I am sure that OTR expediting extends this rule of thumb to 500K.

Myself I like to trade at 350K to 400K. I can still get a good allowance for my trade,and I avoid all the down time for repairs.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Cargo.

I'm not a straight trucker but I've got two cents worth of comment. You may have been around awhile in your van so I suspect you've realized you can maximize your revenue potential by upgrading to a straight truck team operation. With one of the major expedite carriers, you should easily realize an increase of 2 to 2-1/2 times the income in a "C" versus a "B" truck.

If you, or others that may be eavesdropping in this forum, might be considering a change of carriers, I think it would be to your benefit to find a carrier that will sign you on without a Hazmat qualification or a CDL, before spec'ing a truck

Cargo

Expert Expediter
Thanks once again!

Do you feel that spending between $25K to $40K for a well maintained truck w/sleeper under 200K miles will then pay off???

Thank you.

cargo