Buying a truck

2pioneers

Seasoned Expediter
Looking to buy a decent used truck from a dealership,any suggestions as to where we should buy from? Has anyone out there had any good or bad experiences?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
When I bought my first horse, my Vet told me "No one's your friend when buying a horse" might be the same with a used vehicle. Especially if your not real familiar with the type of rig your after.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would suggest you listen to XM channel 171 Kevin Rutherford's show. He is on weekends 4 to 7 and at midnight every night eastern time. He offers a lot of tips on how to purchase a used truck.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know about all used truck dealers but most that I have talked with remind me of used car dealers or polititions. You kinda want to wash real good after shaking thier hand. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well we did have a different experience buying our truck and we will buy our next truck from the same place. We were treated well and four years down the road when we have a problem with our truck we are still treated well!

We bought our truck from Middle Georgia Freightliner we were first time truck buyers, first time in Expediting and they still treated us as if we were the most valued people to come through the door. They are a smaller dealer and they do value each and every customer and they will remember your name.

They have and ad on this site and are always at the truck shows if you would like to stop by and see them.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had good experiences with FL Knoxville. My salesman left but Ronnie Mole (sounds like if not spelled just right), who is still there, is a really nice guy that I'd deal with in an instant if I were in the market. They do their best to sell their product but I don't know of them ever being dishonest about it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have never talked with either of those places. I bought mine at Alumi-Bunk when it was still in Michigan. I will not ever deal with them again. Just my opinion. Other may have had a better time of it but I won't go back there. Layoutshooter

moose

Veteran Expediter
now is not the time to buy a Sterling ... :)
Tho'w they are a bargain...

Follow TC advice as to Frieghtliner of Georgia ,
i Did business with them in the past , and got treated well.
Charney's in Cleavland is also a good Place for a Hino , make shore you do your homework first .
If you have the time , and like to design your own sleeper , go with AA sleepers in Ft. worth , as they have a great Product at a fair Price .
try to buy into a roof mounted A/C + Hvac , and a generator , +a full hook up .
you will save thousand in compare to an APU .
and make shore the bed come with a safety net.

Happy shopping

Moose.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And be sure to get a hot tub and a auto-pilot that can drive the truck for you on long runs. Layoutshooter

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Ever thought of looking in Canada? I've been watching prices on truckpaper, EO classifieds and elsewhere for months now but since I am right on the border and go to Vancouver daily I was looking there as too. Well I found what looks to be quite a good deal even if I end up paying their asking price - which I doubt will happen. With the loonie in the dumps right now its almost a 20% discount, if you can find the right truck the savings could be substantial. Maybe its just luck and while its not the 660 I wanted (long story, thank the IRS:( ) it is otherwise nicely equipped with most if not all the things I wanted and with the exchange will come in around $21700 or less depending on negotiations.

2003 T300 Day Cab (ex Paclease)
Cat 3126-250 w/brake
187500 miles
Eaton 10 spd
12/21K axles
Steel wheels
Good rubber all around
Air ride
24' aluminum high cube dry van
2 rows E track
Standard tongue & groove floor
Aluminum roof
4400lb. rail gate

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I contacted a Canadian dealer about a unit they had in stock out of curiosity. I was told they can not sell to U.S. buyers.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Was it new? Being near the border there is often talk about US car dealers being told by the manufacturers they represent, not to sell to Canadian buyers Some of them adhere to that while others actively seek out Canadian sales and advertise the fact. Of course not many are coming south for anything with te loonie under .80USD. Not long ago thir port was under an outright deluge of cars being (mostly low mileage used) going north, but now less and less. I guess they knew the bottom would eventually drop out and to get them while they were hot - now they will probably sell at inflated prices for big profits.

Dealer here (Inland KW, who has US offices too) is plenty happy to sell south of the border.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I contacted a Canadian dealer about a unit they had in stock out of curiosity. I was told they can not sell to U.S. buyers.

You found a dealer who isn't very good. A sale is a sale. Unless the guy has a branch in the US he owns (like AlumiBunk say) there is no good reason to not sell you a truck.He likely wont do the export part of it for you, that's too much work for a sales guy!!!

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
My deal is with Inland KW who also has US dealerships, although those locations are a long way from WA state plus its a used truck - not much point getting a new one there I think unless you wanted to pay more.

are12

Expert Expediter
We bought both our trucks from Freightliner of Knoxville - our 1st one was a very good used truck.

Plus, they were very helpful when we decided to get into this business and when we were having issues with the new truck.