Buy a truck, get free fuel

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

That is awesome, I wonder if there is an onboard charger so that if you pulled into a truck stop with shore power you could plug in and charge overnight?

The typical solo driver may not need to run the turbine that often if they could charge it overnight.

Brakes would last forever on that truck too, since most of the energy would be recovered using the motors as generators to recharge when slowing down, instead of generating heat with brake pads.

Reactions: Turtle

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a beautiful truck and sounds very interesting. I don't know about a plug in charging option. That's a good question and point though.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
For the low price of only $375k.
Sign me up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This Nikola Motor Company class 8 tractor is fun to think about. It gets the imagination going. The company is taking reservations now. It says a working prototype will be shown by year-end and full production will begin in 24-36 months in a Utah plant. I'll believe that part when I see it, but I love today the new thinking this electric/CNG truck sparks.

Company website

* 2,000 hp
* 3,700-plus ft. lbs. of torque before gear reduction, nearly 86,000 ft. lbs. after gear reduction
* 100% torque all the time (not dependent on RPM)
* All-wheel drive, electric motor on each wheel
* Fully Independent suspension
* On board natural gas turbine charges batteries, no need to plug in
* No heavy diesel engine, transmission or drivetrain
* Weighs 2,000 lbs. less than traditional diesel tractor
* Fewer fluids (diesel fuel, oil, engine coolant, transmission oil, differential oil)
* No loss of speed going uphill
* Electric motors absorb braking energy going downhill, recharging batteries
* Pulls 80,000 lbs.
* Twice the fuel economy of a typical 500 hp, 1,650 lb-ft diesel tractor
* 800-1,200 mile range between fill-ups
* Free fuel for 1 million miles for first 5,000 buyers (100,000 gallons of CNG)
* Emissions free
* No generator needed to heat/cool/power sleeper, no idling when parked
* Massive battery pack means driver could stay in parked truck for a week without using the turbine to recharge batteries
* Cab 30% larger than traditional tractors
* Drag coefficient 5% better than traditional tractors
* No shifting, just an electric pedal and brake pedal to make it go and stop (same as golf cart)
* Full-size refrigerator/freezer in sleeper
* 42" TV and other creature comforts
* Operating cost 20 - 30 cents per mile
* Platooning capability, one driver can lead 5 driverless trucks
* Purchase price $350,000 - $450,000 depending on options.

Imagine how clean such a truck would be. No diesel soot. No dirty fuel islands. No dirty engine oil. (Still have to grease it, I would assume.). Fuel is used only to make the truck go. No idling. No fuel used when parked, even while sleeper is climate controlled. It would run scary-quiet. All-wheel drive might mean no physical need for tire chains (legal need remains). Fuel and highway use tax would still be charged through IFTA, I would assume.

I don't know if the Nikola tractor could be configured for straight truck use. If the cab with battery pack is too long, there may not be enough left to stretch the frame to fit a good size straight-truck box. If it could work as a straight truck, the range would be greater and the battery pack and turbine could power an electric reefer. Reefer loads would be quiet loads.

If this thing actually appears, the high-end RV market might be transformed.

With the platooning capability, drivers could buddy up to optimize log book time. Six trucks that happen to be driving 1,850 miles west on I-80 could pair up. Each taking his or her turn driving the platoon on that driver's log book while the others relax and log sleeper time.

It would be fun explaining that to the scale cops ... how did you, a solo driver, get from Walcott to the Sacramento 49er on six hours of on-duty-driving time? It would test one's trust issues. How willing are you to ride in your sleeper while a lead driver drives the convoy? It might be wise to outfit the entire convoy with signage and flashing yellow lights.

It's not mentioned in the literature but is the need for an air compressor and air brakes eliminated?

Enhanced reliability. If one motor fails, five others remain to move the truck. That's a bit different than a traditional tractor where if one motor fails, the truck stops.

Parking options increase. You can park for days without running the turbine. No complaints from residents about idling diesel engines or running generators.

Attention driver wannabees ... no shifting! If you can drive a golf cart, you can drive this truck!

Say goodbye to your expensive Onan generator and its maintenance needs.

If outlets were provided, you'd be the most popular guy in town during power failures (or at a hurricane relief site or other places emergency power is needed).

No more fuel spills in crashes. If the tank ruptures and there is no fire, CNG evaporates safely into the air.

Does the fully independent suspension and technology mean all wheels are self-aligning? Is the need for shop-provided wheel alignments eliminated and tire life enhanced?

Tell uppity Prius drivers and tree huggers to stick it. They're belching out hydrocarbons while you run green and clean.

One downside is you would have little time to yourself. If you park this at a truck stop or most anywhere else, everyone would want to talk to you about it.

To me, this whole thing looks like vaporware and sounds too good to be true. As I said, I'll believe it when I see it, but it is still fun to think this through.

nikola-semi-876.jpg

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The pre-order price of $1500 doesn't seem like it'll raise enough capital to produce a prototype, much less put the thing into production.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The pre-order price of $1500 doesn't seem like it'll raise enough capital to produce a prototype, much less put the thing into production.

There are all sorts of Silicone Valley dreamers with money to provide the startup capital. This is the Tesla story for trucks.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It is a beautiful truck and sounds very interesting. I don't know about a plug in charging option. That's a good question and point though.

There is no plug-in. Batteries are charged by an onboard CNG turbine.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That is awesome, I wonder if there is an onboard charger so that if you pulled into a truck stop with shore power you could plug in and charge overnight?

The typical solo driver may not need to run the turbine that often if they could charge it overnight.

Brakes would last forever on that truck too, since most of the energy would be recovered using the motors as generators to recharge when slowing down, instead of generating heat with brake pads.

Batteries are charged by an onboard CNG turbine. Manufacturer says a driver could park the truck and stay in the climate-controlled cab for a week before the turbine needed to be run to charge the batteries. The battery pack is huge.

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a former CNG user, not sure how going out of your way to find natural gas will jibe with HOS. Hopefully fuel agnostic means you won't be forced to park it if no CNG fuel is available. I had access to 3 close together Cng stations on a route and it was normal for 2 out of 3 to be inoperative at any given time...and imagine pulling that in to a mechanic for preventative maintenance?

But yes it's ultra cool and if I had unlimited money I'd want one

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the infrastructure for CNG is on its way to massive improvement but I agree that this truck has a long way to go before we'll see it.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
10 years from now I can see owner ops running follow the leader fleets with no employees...

Scratch that, the big companies will use it to solve the driver shortage, then maybe start cutting employees, they can afford them first. I really need a van that will work for me while I do important things like play video games at home