BTU

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
I'm thinking of buying a propane heater for a cargo, that does not have a bulkhead, how many Btu's should the heater be? I'm looking for something that will keep me warm while the van is off, keeping the inside temp about seventy degrees.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
is the van insulated? If not DO IT! Where are you sleeping? rear or drivers seat?

In my 3/4t van I slept in the front...dropped a moving blanket to create a wall, cover as much glass as I could and ran a propane heater on the passenger seat one with a fan. And treid to park with my tail into the wind... ohhh yeah have a CO2 detector as well.

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
Its not insulated. the insulation with the lowest R-rating is the best, is that correct? and then just cover it with wall paneling? If so is there drilling involved, to screw in the wall panels.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
R rating? I am a dunce when it comes to that!*lol*

I used that pink sheet about 1/2-3/4 in stuff as well they have smaller bundles of 1/4" to build up to a level to the cross members. I used self tapping screws and predrilled into the ribs. I also used 1" pine strapping the length of the van to help hold everything up.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually the higher the R value the better but there are some catches to that and how it is applied.

You can use the pink stuff or use that Polyisocyanurate Insulation w/very thin aluminum sheet attached (also known as R-Maxx).

I would also use the best and strongest 3M adhesive you can get.

I just finished my bunk/cab area with the Polyisocyanurate Insulation glued to the metal with as little air space as I could get than I took that bubble pack aluminum clad insulation (also known as reflectix) and tacked that up to the insulation. I have the foam but didn't get to it yet, I will use foam to fill in the voids.

The insulation is one thing but adding the heat barrier I think will keep more heat in the bunk and cab area. Right now I haven't finished the doors to the bunk, so I have bubble pack aluminum clad heat barrier stuff attached to the wood.

Oh I used 3/4 inch thick for everything except the headliner which I used 1/2 inch thick.