Broker own loads?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Personally, I don't know any who do. But I have talked to Americans who have referred to them as such, and totally confused me.

Hydro

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hydro may refer to:

So you know, those breakout possible page link meanings were added specifically for Canadians who kept searching Wiki for hydroelectric and hydropower and couldn't find anything because they were using the uniquely Canadian shortened version of "hydro". Also, though less frequently, for Brits who kept searching for "hydro" instead of "spa". Everybody else things hydro is water.

In addition, Wiktionary, which actually defines the word, shows specifically (Canadian, uncountable) to mean hydroelectric power provided by a power utility. Uncountable, incidentally, refers to sentence structure and not anything Canadian. It means the word "hydro" cannot be used freely with numbers or the indefinite article, and therefore has no plural form. The indefinite article refers to the use of "a" or "an" before the word, which never happens with the Canadian use of the word, and "some" is used instead. Other examples of uncountable words are data (always uncountable), underwear (usually uncountable) and sex (which can be countable or uncountable - could go either way).

I don't even know what a duvet is. Is it a car or something?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, the mom of a kid (canadain) i grew up with always had one of those folded back at the foot of her bed...I thought it was a comfirter...until she corrected me...don't ask how I know it was there.....:D

PS: LOL...thanks!! I had forgotten all about that until Pjjjjj brought that up...:D

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
“Broker loads do pay good if you get the right loads.” What does that mean? Are you saying, “Some lotto tickets pay good if you get the right ticket.” Really, what does that mean??? And for your next use of the word good, it is food taste good, loads pay well.

I'll give you a quick answer as I don't want to interrupt the water controversy.:D What it means is the rates are generally higher than the base rates offered by most carriers.
As Bruno found out hauling a few of my loads, broker loads through a carrier will usually pay much higher than what they pay their own leased contractors. They are referred to as partner carriers. Of course some haul LTL, and that can be lucrative as well if you know what you are doing. If you can throw a couple of loads on that are a buck a mile a piece, you can make some money. You can do a search on here and you will see many posts on it.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
So you know, those breakout possible page link meanings were added specifically for Canadians who kept searching Wiki for hydroelectric and hydropower and couldn't find anything because they were using the uniquely Canadian shortened version of "hydro". Also, though less frequently, for Brits who kept searching for "hydro" instead of "spa". Everybody else things hydro is water.

In addition, Wiktionary, which actually defines the word, shows specifically (Canadian, uncountable) to mean hydroelectric power provided by a power utility. Uncountable, incidentally, refers to sentence structure and not anything Canadian. It means the word "hydro" cannot be used freely with numbers or the indefinite article, and therefore has no plural form. The indefinite article refers to the use of "a" or "an" before the word, which never happens with the Canadian use of the word, and "some" is used instead. Other examples of uncountable words are data (always uncountable), underwear (usually uncountable) and sex (which can be countable or uncountable - could go either way).

I don't even know what a duvet is. Is it a car or something?

Well isn't that some fancy sidetracking with the intent of blurring the truth, when all you really needed to do was make a simple, humble apology. :)
I looked it up on 'answers.com' and when it said the same thing, I thought, well gee, Turtle will shred apart my choice of reference, so I'll go to wikipedia instead, which said the same thing.
So we Canadians are the only country whose residents do shortforms, so much so that the encyclopedia publishers had to add a pile of words just for us? I guess you must be right because the only word I could think of to look up off the top of my head as another commonly used shortform was 'homo', and it makes no reference to what EYE think of, when I hear the word.

Last edited:

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
I'll give you a quick answer as I don't want to interrupt the water controversy.:D What it means is the rates are generally higher than the base rates offered by most carriers.
As Bruno found out hauling a few of my loads, broker loads through a carrier will usually pay much higher than what they pay their own leased contractors. They are referred to as partner carriers. Of course some haul LTL, and that can be lucrative as well if you know what you are doing. If you can throw a couple of loads on that are a buck a mile a piece, you can make some money. You can do a search on here and you will see many posts on it.

You broker loads under what mc and name?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
LOL, the mom of a kid (canadain) i grew up with always had one of those folded back at the foot of her bed...I thought it was a comfirter...until she corrected me...don't ask how I know it was there.....:D

PS: LOL...thanks!! I had forgotten all about that until Pjjjjj brought that up...:D

You're welcome! Nice to be reminded of forgotten memories sometimes! (Sometimes not!)
Am I getting that Americans just don't know what a duvet is at all, and THAT is why they don't know whether it's a duvet or a duvet cover?? Honestly, I had NO idea! We must be REALLY special over here!

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
“Broker loads do pay good if you get the right loads.” What does that mean? Are you saying, “Some lotto tickets pay good if you get the right ticket.” Really, what does that mean???..........

Ya! That pretty much sums it up right there!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You broker loads under what mc and name?

I broker through Panther. I or anyone else can broker loads and use their authority if leased to them. They charge 15 percent for that service.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You're welcome! Nice to be reminded of forgotten memories sometimes! (Sometimes not!)
Am I getting that Americans just don't know what a duvet is at all, and THAT is why they don't know whether it's a duvet or a duvet cover?? Honestly, I had NO idea! We must be REALLY special over here!

I wouldn't know a duvet if it looked me in the face.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well isn't that some fancy sidetracking with the intent of blurring the truth, when all you really needed to do was make a simple, humble apology. :)
I looked it up on 'answers.com' and when it said the same thing, I thought, well gee, Turtle will shred apart my choice of reference, so I'll go to wikipedia instead, which said the same thing.
So we Canadians are the only country whose residents do shortforms, so much so that the encyclopedia publishers had to add a pile of words just for us? I guess you must be right because the only word I could think of to look up off the top of my head as another commonly used shortform was 'homo', and it makes no reference to what EYE think of, when I hear the word.
No sidetracking at all. I know how to read the history of Wiki edits and search terms, and can read what it says as to why some edits and search results are there. In Canada, "hydro" just so happens to be the term that is used to mean hydroelectricity. Wiki never knew about it until they started getting a lot of hits for "hydro" from IP addresses in Canada, quickly followed by searches for hydroelectric and hydropower, then a Canadian did the edit that resulted in the breakout page you quoted. That's how Wiki works. Don't take it personal. It's all in good fun.

Wiki itself can be quite a form of entertainment if you are bored enough to follow some of the things that go on there, especially the edit wars. There have been some knock-down, grag-out fights over some of the most stupid stuff you can imagine.

Aluminium or Aluminum? - 5462 edits and re-edits over that one point of contention. And it's still counting.

Is it "gasoline" or "petrol"? - 2927 edits.

Yugurt or Yoghurt? - 3135 edits.

Sulphur or Sulfur? - 3950 edits.

Brazil or Brasil? - 11,751 edits. I'm serious.

The potato chip. Is it "flavored" or "flavoured"? - After 2268 passionate edits, "seasoned" was the very uneasy and tenuous compromise.

Is it "The Beatles" or "the Beatles"? - 17,608

Should a huge, giant photo of a huge, giant, menacing and utterly scary tarantula spider be placed in the entry for "Arachnophobia"? - 640 especially nasty edits. I say yes.

Are Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader considered the same character? - 12,869 edits.

Which is the most famous "Palin", the politician or the Monty Python member? - 289 edits. No, really, they fight over this crap.

"Wii", "Nintendo Wii", "the Wii"? Should the "wee" link point to the "Wii" page, or should it point to the urine page? - 20,077 edits.

On "Cow Tipping", is the caption under the picture of a cow appropriate if it says, "An unsuspecting victim"? - 2155 edits, mostly by those who feel cows might be offended by such a caption.

And my favorite, which is the most appropriate term to describe the relationship between a human and a cat? "Owner", "caregiver", or "human companion"? - 10,966 utterly retarded and insane edits.

You think "hydro" as a short form got in on the first ballot untouched? No way. The Brits wanted "spa" as the only acceptable alternate Wiki entry besides water (even though that one was even hotly contested within England, since only a certain "class" of people refer to a spa as the hydro). But Canada fought back. The end result was not an actual page on "hydro" in the Canadian usage that described hydroelectric power, but rather would have links to the "hydroelectric" page, with no page at all for "hydro".

What's the definition of "pre-teen"? 8-12 years old? 9-12 years old? 10-12? 8-13? - 544 edits. Good grief.

You should have seen the fight over AD versus BC in an article about Jesus. And the edit wars on the Scientology page makes waterboarding a welcome diversion.

I'm thirsty, so I'll go drink a cold bottle of hydrate. :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Nothing personal.
But allow me to enlighten you people on the other side of the line about how much you will enjoy a duvet.
From Wikipedia:
A duvet (RP IPA: [ˈduːveɪ], GenAm IPA: [duˈveɪ], from the French duvet "down", IPA: [dyˈvɛ]) is a type of bedding — a soft flat bag traditionally filled with down or feathers, or a combination of both, and used on a bed as a blanket. Duvets originated in rural Europe and were made from the down feathers of the eider duck, known for its usefulness as an insulator.

The great thing about these is that you can crunch them up into a bag or something if necessary, and they wouldn't take up much space, they keep you nice and toasty in winter and yet they don't toast you in summer, you just shake it out and throw it on your bed and your bed is made, you put a 'duvet COVER' on it to look pretty and that's all you need to wash most of the time, they're usually made of mostly goose or duck down so they're really soft... great thing for an expediter! They range in price from cheap to super expensive depending on the type of bird, and the content of down vs feathers.