Breaking News From CNN......Mike Vick gets 23 mths

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
That makes me sick....
He should get life....
Oh well, I hope that kisses his Football Career out the window !!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE: Breaking News From CNN......Mike Vick gets 23

The bigger issue is are you going to refuse to watch a football game or buy NFL 'official' products or tell them that they are wrong for not banning him because he should be thrown out of the league?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

I don't think Roger Goodell will ever let Vick back in the NFL. Besides... he wasn't that good of a qb. No one will want him anyways.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Football is a very intense and violent sport. People by the millions pay to watch such violence. They are enthralled by it, captivated by it. And are yet shocked and horrified when a gridiron gladiator is unable to flip the switch and spend his off hours engaged in something like floral arranging rather than engaged in some other violent activity. Shocked, I tell you. Just shocked.

It's borderline hilarious, and, if you watch football more than once, at the very least slightly hypocritical.

"Life" for dog fighting. Wow.

Dog fighting is pretty disgusting, but I also know that in many parts of the south (and more parts of the north than many think) it is widely practiced and accepted. If you're shocked at Vick, you'll be equally horrified if you knew just how widely accepted it is. And if you think what they do to under-performing dogs in dog fighting is bad, don't ever do any research on what they do to slow dogs in greyhound racing. You'll be shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

I see your point, there, hard-shelled one. Likewise, one would likely be surprised if a hip-hop artist lived an easy, peaceful life outside his music and touring.

But the thing here is discipline. Why does a black belt in martial arts not just go out and injure ppl? Because he learned discipline while he trained. And that soldier or Marine? They don't usually kill when they're away from the battlefield. Football is the same way. It is more cerebral than physical. The players are taught to stay disciplined on the field, and then act CIVILIZED off the field. When they don't, they tarnish themselves, their team, and the sport. Then they are shunned. Vick has messed up his chance to remain in football.

Commisioner Goodell has made it clear there is no place in the NFL for one like Vick. Troublemakers don't get picked higher in the draft, and don't stay as long in the league, BECAUSE the league is taking a stance. Teams are focusing on high character players who know how to "turn off" their aggression. Teams who don't... Bengals and Bears, for example, suffer because of their choices.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

greg334

Veteran Expediter

So turtle, let me get this straight;

Football is a violent sport.

Football players are by nature of their profession are violent and uncivil people.

The people who watch football are akin to the Romans who watch the killings at the coliseum.

But we live in the modern age of civility; we have people running around protecting terrorist who kill us. We have people investigating others who video tapes of ‘interrogation' of terrorist but we can’t investigate espionage by some one named Sandy Berger – opps wrong thread….

Well….. anyway today we live in the modern age of civility, we are supposed to be beyond the barbaric attitude that prevailed in the latter part of 19th century, early part of the 20th century; child labor, slavery, not allowing women to vote and people running around with guns and no gun control.

During that time there was the birth of professional football. These uncivil people who played the sport, who entertained hundreds of people, who took professionalism seriously, should have acted like they played, violent and uncivil.

So I can’t help to think that the people who claim to be profession should act like the football players of the past, who didn’t act like animals themselves.

Maybe we really need to bring this around to the point where we have pre-game shows like real hand to hand combat with blood and gore?

Did you see that? he disemboweled the guy with his knife, that's 20 extra points for him.

By the way, there are a lot of people crying that he will lose $200 million – I say so what, his problem.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter

Sorry to inform you Turtle, but dog fighting IS NOT widely accepted in the South.......Your sadly mistaken!!!!
Unfortunately it's true that it happens in the south, but it is definitely NOT accepted..........I have no clue where you came up with that one!!!!!!!

I think instead of locking him up for 23 months (whoopi), they should give him a taste of his own medicine........Forcefully put him in the ring with Mike Tyson for 5 or 6 rounds. If he performs badly, take him to the locker room, give him some severe electric shock therapy then take him back to the ring to finish the fight.........

And if anyone thinks for a minute that the NFL will ban him, your kidding yourself. He'll be right back in football as soon as he's released.......
Big money runs this country, and the NFL is Big Money!!!!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

But. Yous bleed'in hearts gotta get a grip. A dog is a dog. It ain't people. I see some people today treat people like dogs, and dogs like people. What a shame. Vick just had some work'in dogs that didn't work. If work'in dogs don't work in other occupations they go away. Not that I encourage any of this, but, a dog is a dog.
Get a grip.

Personally, I can't imagine putting ny onto a million to keep some dogs, as he waz forced to. Coulda been used elsewhere in this world a whole bunch better.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Well Suds it also is not a 'black' thing even though there is a lot of dog fighting going on in Detroit (some claim more than any other place) and it was known at one time the dog fighting capital of the world in the latter part of the 19th century.

They still dump dead or dying dogs all over the place by the way.

As for the NFL, I wonder if anyone will boycott the NFL. Most likely not going to happen. As someone said, professional sports is the scourge of a civilized culture.

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter

Turtle..
I really hope that Dog Fighting and Dog Killing is not widely Excepted !!!
That scares me !!!
Yes it is widely done but still very illeagal !!!
I believe that some people should be treated just like the way they treated their victims...
They should put Vick in a Ring with a bunch of sick and wild Dogs and let him see how it feels to be brutalized and beaten !!
Hopefully... He will get that in Federal Prison !!
I have no compassion for this man... Who is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL SPORTS PLAYER !!!
I am sorry if I offended anyone here...
I have 2 dogs !!
They are like my family !!
RMCTT2
P.S.
I glad I am not a Atlanta Falcon Fan...
Go Patriots !!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

"Sorry to inform you Turtle, but dog fighting IS NOT widely accepted in the South.......Your sadly mistaken!!!!
Unfortunately it's true that it happens in the south, but it is definitely NOT accepted..........I have no clue where you came up with that one!!!!!!!"

I was born in the south, grew up mostly in the north (Cincinnati), and I now live back down in the south, I have relatives in the south. The definition of "widely accepted" is a subjective one, I agree, but the prevalence of dog fighting in the south is much larger than people realize. In my town there's one guy with 23 pit bull terriers. No one for even a minute thinks they are all pets. And he's not the only one around with a pack of dogs that are perfectly suited to fighting. It's all over the south, man, take a look. And it not too long ago where a couple in an upscale suburban Cincinnati neighborhood was arrested on dog fighting charges for breeding and fighting their Rottweilers.

From the early 1600's up until the early part of the 20th century, dog fighting in the US was not only legal, but heavily promoted and attended. In the south in particular, dog fighting was a hugely popular pastime for slave owners, who have their slaves breed and train the dogs. It's all mostly underground now, but the cultural trend is still alive and well, both with whites and blacks.

Incidentally, while dog fighting is illegal in all 50 states, it's a felony in 48 of them, and only a misdemeanor in Idaho and Wyoming. Dog fighting is down south, up north, out west, in big cities and out behind Bubba's double-wide. It's everywhere.

"I think instead of locking him up for 23 months (whoopi), they should give him a taste of his own medicine........Forcefully put him in the ring with Mike Tyson for 5 or 6 rounds. If he performs badly, take him to the locker room, give him some severe electric shock therapy then take him back to the ring to finish the fight........."

And what would your thoughts be when that was put on PPV and people by the millions paid to see it? Or worse, what if he doesn't perform badly? Do we set up another PPV event the following week?

Look, I'm not defending Michael Vick. Far from it. Like I said, I think dog fighting is disgusting. I'm a dog person. But dog fighting is not the OMG! heinous crime against society that calls for life in prison. Sorry. It's not like he had people penned up back there.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

wander what would have been said if they were ##### fighting,like they do in some of the back yard barns in western pa
and just think,now Vic will have a new butt buddy for 23 months,he will learn what mans best friend is all about

greg334

Veteran Expediter

He's going to a fed prison, they have badminton and a Squash court. They have a 24 hour gym too.

Martha worked out a deal with the feds on remodeling the prisons and helped her bestest friend KMart by buying everything from KMart she needed to make the prison a bit more inviting, especially around the fall and Christmas season.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

I know rooster fighting used to be big to. I don't think he shouldv'e done what he did, but he most likely grew up around being taught it was alright. I feel like once he gets out of prison then he should be able to go back to football. We've all made mistakes in our lives. I'm Jesus is more forgiving than you guys. I just don't see where someone should have to right to keep someone else from taking part in their chosen profession because they made a few bad choices. Everyone has broke the law in one way or the other. Just everyone hasn't been caught.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It's not just the dogfighting that's the problem with the NFL - there's also the gambling involved. A lot of money changed hands at these dogfights. Vick and these other thugs know full well that they are multi-millionaire roll models, and they need to be held to a higher standard than the average Joe Sixpack. Now is a good chance for the NFL to make an example of this guy, and send the message that this kind of criminal activity will not be tolerated.

Regarding the pit bulls, their emergence over the past 10-15 years has been the result of being part of a culture of crime. Notice that these dogs are mostly found being raised and inbred in packs for nothing more than fighting or for guarding crack houses, marijuana fields and meth labs. They have no place in normal society, and quite a few townships and cities have banned them for good reason. Although I've been a dog owner and breeder all my life, I've got no sympathy for what happened to these dogs, and even less for Michael Vick.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter

Pilgrim,
Pit bulls are no more aggressive than a boxer, rotweiler or chow. It is how you raise the animal. We have had 2 pits, my daughter has one now and they are the most loveable dogs. I also currently have a chow, and in order for him to bite anyone, he would have to get up off the floor from his nap. It's just not going to happen. So, based on my personal experience, if you do not train your dog to be mean, chances are the animal will not be aggressive. Just my opinion.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Anne,
My brother-in-law had one too, she was a very good dog but these are not the pit bulls that we are talking about.

Much of these dogs are inbred, they take the domestication out of the dogs. The purebred breeder who is registered and breeds to keep the breed going knows the difference as does the AKC. You can breed meanness into the animal just as much as you can teach them to be mean.

In my area we have a huge problem with fighting dogs. We lacked cats and squirrels in the neighborhood when we had a couple packs from Detroit coming into our area.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I had a Rottweiler for nearly 12 years, from 1988 to 2000, when she died of heart failure - and anyone who was around her very much soon saw that she was a dog with a tremendous heart, and no aggressive behavior - unless you threatened one of her 'family'. (Particularly the kids!) She came from a reputable breeder, she was obedience trained as a puppy, and she was the very best dog I've ever known.
People who can perpetrate, or witness (and enjoy!) animal cruelty are sociopaths, IMO, and should be locked up to protect society.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter

My little dog (a jack russell) was used for fighting i guess you would call him a bait dog. They filled his lttle body with steroids to bulk him up then starved him. I don't know much about dog fighting except that it makes me sick. But the condition of my little Stevie when we got him was appalling. I agree. Anyone who can do that to an animal is a sociopath! What exactly is a basit dog? Nevermind. I don't think I really want to know!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I got My Pit From the Pound when he was 9 weeks old, he now weighs in at 105 pounds, My wife Rocks him to sleep most night, Yep he's a mean one.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.