Bought a used Lemon

marlam

Expert Expediter
I bought a used truck because I was told I couldn't qualify for a new one. Boy, did I get ripped off! I bought this truck in the middle of march and have had nothing but problems with it from the first day. I have been a company driver for years and really didn't have a clue what I was in for buying a used straight truck. Don't get me wrong, I love the company I have signed on with and they have been very patient with me and this truck. The truck is the problem. I have issues with the dealer for selling a truck that should not have been put on the road.
I am now sitting at home with a old broken down truck and not enough money to try to get another one. My question,I guess,could anyone tell me if I have any recourse in getting my money back or some kind of compensation from the dealer on this piece of junk. It now sits in my driveway waiting for the dealer to come and tow it away because I will not drive it another mile! I have put less than 5,000 miles on this truck.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. In that situation I'd probably be inclined to go back to the dealer and although I'd want to tell them how the cow ate the cabbage I'd be very restrained. I'd list all the problems to them and ask them to suggest a fair solution. I would be looking for 90% of my purchase price applied toward any other truck of my choice with their guarantee of it passing an independent inspection by the tech of my choice or they pay for the inspection.

I'd rather get 100% of my money but don't think that's possible. If they don't go for the 90% I'd politely mention all the headaches and issues we're going to both suffer in litigation not to mention the greater cost to them than this solution which nets a satisfied customer rather than an unsatisfied advertiser against their dealership. I have no clue it it would work but that's what comes to mind as the course of action I'd take.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Sorry that you've got problems with your truck.

Could you provide more info on the truck itself and what types of problems/breakdowns you're having?

Rex

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If they are a large truck dealer they will certainly want to avoid bad publicity. OOIDA is good for resolving issues also your local newspaper. Newspapers love to trash all aspects of the trucking industry.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I am sorry to hear of your problems and hope things work out for you. I do want to say a few things as the bad guy, so to speak, that may spark some thoughts or ideas.

First of all you bought a used truck. Now I am sure the entire story is not listed because your post is not that long. Now before you start screaming at me, please realize I have some pretty good experiences of my own.

Did you have the truck inspected, engine tested, oil analized, drive it, ask for things to be fixed as part of the purchase etc. If you did all that and still bought it then I think going back and having some discussions may net you some amount of satisfaction. If you did none of that and just bought it, then I have to say you messed up.

As asked by another, what are the problems? Some times things are really not that bad but because they have all happened one after another or all at the same time it seems horrible to you but there may be some quick and low costs solutions. If you list your problems we may all have a more opened or clear mind and be able to suggest some things to you.

Let me finish by saying you bought a used truck. Depending on who you bought it from will make all the difference in the world has to how they may or may not work with you on this. Just keep in mind you bought it. I know that sounds cold but that is where folks outside of your problems are going to be. It will also help if you deal with it with that in mind. I have been through this. Admitting I made the decision to take the routes I took gave me a clearer head and I was able to talk to people in a positive way other than in an acusatory manner. That makes a big difference.

I also think the word Lemon may fit your truck but the law may not. You better look into that if you are going to think of using that as an out.

Best of luck. List your problems and lets see if we can help.

Raceman
OTR O/O

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We only buy used trucks. Over the past 8 years we seldom put 5000 mi on a truck without something needing to be fixed. Usually 2-3 times a year it is major.

I doubt if the dealer ripped you off by selling a truck with known problems. All dealers we have talked with have to put a DOT inspection on the truck before selling it, and that catches most big things. We also inspect the trucks and look over maintenance records. If we find things that we don't like, have it fixed or move on to another truck.

All trucks have truck payments. They are the high price of a new truck paid monthly with most repairs covered under warranty or the lower payment on a used truck with you paying the repairs when necessary. We have found that the used truck route is cheaper over the long haul, but to each their own.

Vernon in C2197 (a 1998 truck)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
New trucks use to be the way to go.
I agree with Vernon.
Used is the way to go now.
Trucks 5 years ago were around $50,000 to 60,000 when purchased new.
The new truck today is much nicer but the cost is almost double.
Not a great return on the dollar until freight rates catch up.

Used trucks are fine as long as you know what you are buying.
If not, pay or find someone that does to help in the process.

Davekc

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I agree with DaveKC and Vernon. I have always bought used trucks with exception of one van that my daughter runs. This is why I am trying to get the person to say what the problems are. I bet it they are just overwhelmed at this point but that they are not big deals.

Raceman
OTR O/O

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I have a few points of interest here as I bought used also, and you must expect the unexpected to come along when you least expect it. WOW where have I heard that before. LOL

First thing is. Are your repairs Major or Minor, as a few other people have asked? Would your settelment payments take care of the repairs and leave some money left for you to live on?

Seems you would be much better off driving this truck than, looking for a reason to get your money back. Sounds like Buyers Remorse. I don't mean to be bitter. Just making a point. Most Companys will give you a ComCheck to pay for repairs and keep you moving and making money. I have had my share of repairs, and I know what it's like to set for 8 hours in the cold waiting for a repairman to show up. 0 FUN. But it's part of being an O/O. Good Luck in whatever you decide....Butch :D :D :D