bord in Frankfort KY

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
howz comes i never seem to cross paths with anyone here?????
and ....... do most of u all here... drive vans????
i just want to know what to look for to know what ur driving...... lol
i have a pic of my truck....... well guess maybe i should update the pic.
i have flowers in my passanger door .. and a har on dash with mardri graw beads still hangin on it.. lol

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Morningstar55ny Check out the thread on Revs ride. It shows a picture of his unit and mine is almost like his. How did you get a picture of your truck on your post?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
howz comes i never seem to cross paths with anyone here?????
It doesn't happen very often, but once in awhile, you will - especially when you now what the members drive. There used to be a sticky on the Layover Lounge, "Have you seen this expediter?" where photos & descriptions were posted - it's gone now, maybe it should be started again? (I used to write truck numbers & usernames in a book that I could grab quick, but it didn't help much - I only ever saw the drivers I already knew, lol)
and ....... do most of u all here... drive vans????
i just want to know what to look for to know what ur driving...... lol
i have a pic of my truck....... well guess maybe i should update the pic.
i have flowers in my passanger door .. and a har on dash with mardri graw beads still hangin on it.. lol
You have a WHAT on the dashboard?!:confused:

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Morningstar55ny Check out the thread on Revs ride. It shows a picture of his unit and mine is almost like his. How did you get a picture of your truck on your post?

its hard to explain........ think u have to go into ur message area..... where u get prvt messages...... and there should be an area that shows u edit ur profile.... siggie line etc..

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We are in Frankfort, KY and are not bored. You are not crossing paths with us because we do not hang out in truck stops when we have time to spare. At the moment, we are in an RV park. Diane is taking a brisk walk. I am servicing my EO addiction now (perhaps something that relieves boredom) and preparing to settle in to a day of study, writing, and some business paperwork (which will be boring to do).

Boredom is an emotion or state of mind (definitions vary), caused not by the lack of freight but by one's learned response to certain circumstances. As such, boredom is not your carrier's or other peoples' problem to solve.

You talk often here in the Open Forum about being bored. Sitting is part of the expedited freight game. If you do not like being bored, you might try using some of your down time to read up on boredom, identify the flavor(s) of boredom you experience, and consider other ways to engage your mind.

I don't mean read the humorous cure-boredom web sites. I mean read serious books and articles on the subject that will help you turn your down time is to something you enjoy and use more productively than you do now.

Here is a book for starters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boredom#PsychologyBoredom Solution: Understanding and Dealing With Boredom, by Linda Deal. Read an excerpt here.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Read, read, and read some more. I always keep plenty of books handy. Books, DVDs, and business paperwork usually keep me busy. I like to go to parks and walk when the weather's nice and if I'm near the coast you will find me on the beach. Right now I'm in Lincoln, NE spending the weekend at the Motel 6. I figured when I didn't find a load on Friday that it would be cheaper to take a room for the weekend than to idle. That's what the fuel prices have done. It's now cost effective to take a room for the weekend.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what kind of hobbies you like, but finding one that doesn't take up to much space would be good. Like a 1000 piece puzzle might be a bad idea because it would be hard to put it away and travel when the qc beeps. Have you thought about quilting? You could make them and give them to friends and relatives as gifts or sell some ebay and make a little extra cash. I liked reading when I was on the truck. I didn't internet and a laptop so you are ahead of me there. My grandpaw was big into western novels when he was alive and driving. He basicly had a library in the sleeper. If you like to write you could start you own newsletter to send to family and friends to tell them about your travels.

I've been doing this thing online to make a little pocket change here lately. You don't make a lot but it kills time. Amazon Mechanical Turk - Welcome some of the hits are crazy like they want you to write a 500 word essay for like $1.50. Kills time and puts a little money in my entertainment budget. Just some ideas. You know you might look into the In Cab University. It's where you take distance education courses from the truck. The teachers are supposed to be trained to understand how a driver's life is. I started to get into it, but then I had to quit driving so there wasn't any need. Hope this helps. I'll be thinking of some more ideas. I know the ones I gave stink, but it's all I could come up with. :(

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I don't know what kind of hobbies you like, but finding one that doesn't take up to much space would be good. Like a 1000 piece puzzle might be a bad idea because it would be hard to put it away and travel when the qc beeps. :(

Just so ya know. They have mats for crossword puzzles that are made flexible enough to roll your puzzle and pieces into a tube that keeps your partially completed puzzle and pieces in place so if you get beeped you can roll it in seconds and store it. I have seen them in kiosks in malls.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Or, if you think you might be sitting for a while, you can always buy the 24,000 piecer and put it together on the floor of the trailer/truck. (might not work in a van)

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Take a tour of the Buffalo Trace distilery (an excellent but slightly high priced local whiskey) might be open today. They have truck parking. Haven't taken the offcial tour, but have visited while delivering more than once. just east of Frankforts downtown.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Take a tour of the Buffalo Trace distilery (an excellent but slightly high priced local whiskey) might be open today. They have truck parking. Haven't taken the offcial tour, but have visited while delivering more than once. just east of Frankforts downtown.

Just don't take any of the free samples, just in case you get a load.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So Phil...any results on the airtabs yet or to soon yet?

We have only driven 7,000 miles with the Airtabs on. MPG for those 7,000 miles has improved about 0.4 over the previous 7,000 but we are drawing no conclusions from that. Reefer and generator use vary from load to load and layover to layover. Main engine fuel consumption varies with terrain and weather. I believe a pre/post Airtab comparison will be more meaningful after 50,000 miles and even more meaningful over a full year.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We noticed a slight (very slight) handling improvement, yes.

I do not discount reports given by other drivers of major handling improvments. Other trucks we drove before this one were buffeted quite a bit by the wind. Our present truck has 10 balanced and aligned wheels on the ground and weighs 34,000 lbs. empty. It ran true and mostly unaffected by normal winds and truck blasts before Airtabs.

The difference we noticed was a slight decline in fishtailing and thus a slight decline in steering corrections. I was the first to drive the truck after Airtabs were installed. I said nothing to Diane and waited to see if she noticed the handling difference I did. She did, but it was so slight that it took several days for her to ask me if I thought the truck felt any different. On our truck, Airtabs did make a handling difference, but only enough to be barely noticed.

Remember, the main reason we bought these things was to help keep the back door clean. We won't know about that until winter. A fuel economy boost of 0.4 mpg would be welcome, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for that without more miles to judge.

I can say that it certainly has not hurt us to put Airtabs on the truck. I am looking forward to seeing the difference they may make over more miles and time.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We are in Frankfort, KY and are not bored. You are not crossing paths with us because we do not hang out in truck stops when we have time to spare. At the moment, we are in an RV park. Diane is taking a brisk walk. I am servicing my EO addiction now (perhaps something that relieves boredom) and preparing to settle in to a day of study, writing, and some business paperwork (which will be boring to do).

Boredom is an emotion or state of mind (definitions vary), caused not by the lack of freight but by one's learned response to certain circumstances. As such, boredom is not your carrier's or other peoples' problem to solve.

You talk often here in the Open Forum about being bored. Sitting is part of the expedited freight game. If you do not like being bored, you might try using some of your down time to read up on boredom, identify the flavor(s) of boredom you experience, and consider other ways to engage your mind.

I don't mean read the humorous cure-boredom web sites. I mean read serious books and articles on the subject that will help you turn your down time is to something you enjoy and use more productively than you do now.

Here is a book for starters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boredom#PsychologyBoredom Solution: Understanding and Dealing With Boredom, by Linda Deal. Read an excerpt here.

being a solo driver..... i depend on the truck stops for carious things.. and am at the wal mart at exit 53 in frankfort.... off i 64 ..... anyways....
reading a book on boredom would.. make me go to lseep...... lol
im an artist.......and i have some of art supplies and work on some of that.....
i have a few rocks i paint.... blank greeting cards.... water colors... etc.......
go for walks...... when i know its safe... i do read at times.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I actually saw very little difference in handling with the Airtabs, but there are other things at work. The heavy duty sway bar and the heavy duty Koni shocks pretty much took care of the handling problem before the Airtabs were installed. For me it's the fuel mileage and the side effect of keeping the spray down and out of my mirrors, and thus, less spray on the windshields of the drivers behind me.

Airtabs for reduced spray on their windshields, adjustable headlamps to keep the beams out of the eyes of others, man, some of us Sprinter drivers do a lot for our fellow drivers out there, and most of them will never know it. All they see is just a weird lookin' van. :)

Boredom can be the deal breaker for many who get into expediting. They can't stand to sit, especially those who come from tradtional trucking. Whatever engages your mind, be it surfing the Internet, games, watching movies or TV shows, reading, sight-seeing, cleaning the truck up, listening to the collective wisdom of dumb as a brick van drivers, whatever it takes to keep from betting restless and bored.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am quite sure when it rains you'll see a marked improvement in rear visibility. You'll see the road spray stay low to the ground...I do even in my Sprinter.

We have driven in heavy rain with the new Airtabs and (sorry) noticed zero difference in visibility. I have read driver comments about Airtab-improved rear visibility in rain, and do not discount them. It's just that our truck had no rear visibility issues in the first place. I don't know why, except perhaps that our rear wheels are well forward of the tail and the tuck-under lift gate may help keep the road spray down. We have mud flaps ahead and behind the drive wheels. That might explain it too. I simply don't know.