Boo ... its October

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
MT, Richmond, VA area. About 10% differince in mileage so far, winter-southern fuel blend.
didn't know they did that for gas?....was that Plus/minus?
found my answer..

Every spring gas prices seem to skyrocket to the highest prices of the year. Why does this happen? In explanation, we hear the experts say that many of the refineries are “down for maintenance while transitioning from winter-blend to summer-blend gasoline,” but what does this mean?

The difference between summer- and winter-blend gasoline involves the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) of the fuel. RVP is a measure of how easily the fuel evaporates at a given temperature. The more volatile a gasoline (higher RVP), the easier it evaporates.

Winter-blend fuel has a higher RVP because the fuel must be able to evaporate at low temperatures for the engine to operate properly, especially when the engine is cold. If the RVP is too low on a frigid day, the vehicle will be hard to start and once started, will run rough.

Summer-blend gasoline has a lower RVP to prevent excessive evaporation when outside temperatures rise. Reducing the volatility of summer gas decreases emissions that can contribute to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. A lower RVP also helps prevent drivability problems such as vapor lock on hot days, especially in older vehicles.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer. However, the summer-blend is also more expensive to produce, and that cost is passed on to the motorist.

The switch between the two fuels happens twice a year, once in the fall (to winter-blend) and again in the spring (to summer-blend). The changeover requires significant work at refineries, so oil companies schedule their maintenance for those times when they will already be “down” for the blend switches.

As a consumer, the main thing to understand is that there are real reasons for the switch from winter- to summer-blend fuel, even if it results in some pain at the pump.

September 15 was the day that gasoline requirements were eased in many areas (aka the date of the first increase in RVP [Reid Vapor Pressure])- however- since the change to cheaper winter gas is not mandated, stations don't need to sell out of fuel before purchasing winter gasoline. Basically, since there is no requirement, stations don't purchase winter gasoline until they run low, so depending on a stations volume, you may not be pumping winter gasoline just yet. This is especially true premium gasoline- stations likely still have summer blended premium on hand and thus you may notice if you use premium that your fuel economy hasn't yet taken a hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernBill

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
M
I only seem to get that on the biodiesel crap...higher the % the lower the MPG

Man I'm really starting to hate the biodiesel. Sucks because it's almost everywhere. I am getting about 24 MPG almost constantly now that I've slowed down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I've always said....where are you going that you need to go that fast?....put some cash into YOUR pocket and recover some of what some carriers and brokers are stealing from our pockets....I see they are still whinning about over capacity but yet they are still putting new units on...instead of using the unit s available....why? because they care NOT about you...only their own profit margins...dang that led to a rant...sorry bout that

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
M

Man I'm really starting to hate the biodiesel. Sucks because it's almost everywhere. I am getting about 24 MPG almost constantly now that I've slowed down a bit.

I've always said....where are you going that you need to go that fast?....put some cash into YOUR pocket and recover some of what some carriers and brokers are stealing from our pockets....I see they are still whinning about over capacity but yet they are still putting new units on...instead of using the unit s available....why? because they care NOT about you...only their own profit margins...dang that led to a rant...sorry bout that

Oh no problem. I actually got into an argument with one of my dispatchers managers because I wouldn't take a load that wasn't worth it to ME. He asked me to do him a favor, but wouldn't move me out to a better area for freight after I dropped

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Rant on! I did a phone rant yesterday

King of short runs.

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
M

Oh no problem. I actually got into an argument with one of my dispatchers managers because I wouldn't take a load that wasn't worth it to ME. He asked me to do him a favor, but wouldn't move me out to a better area for freight after I dropped
yeah nice eh? you do a favor for him and thier customer and they won't even chip in 20-$30 for fuel to help out
to add...when one of my old carriers used to call they'd say what do you need.....I said I want everything you have in this load and you can keep a dollar for the phone call....LOL dial tone to follow

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Got called yesterday evening for a 2230 pu, Dallas to Marshalltown, IA...said was 20 x 16...as the guy comes out with this...I said that's not gonna fit...it's longer than my truck....20 FEET by 16"...gotta love when brokers/customers leave out a detail or 2...dry run still in Dallas area

Stupid is what stupid does haha hope ya got paid for that error

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got called yesterday evening for a 2230 pu, Dallas to Marshalltown, IA...said was 20 x 16...as the guy comes out with this...I said that's not gonna fit...it's longer than my truck....20 FEET by 16"...gotta love when brokers/customers leave out a detail or 2...dry run still in Dallas area

Stupid is what stupid does haha hope ya got paid for that error

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums
with all the double and triple brokering these days it isn't surprising that the " or the ' doesn't get confused or even dropped when printing off or faxing paperwork.....I had one was supposed to be 30" when in fact it was 30'....

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone have Wayne's (sprinter mechanic) number in Toledo? A fellow driver is looking for a mechanic...