Bolt

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You didn't say what you drive, so.... I sttarted with them 4 yrs ago...did every well in a Cargo Van....yea they made changes over that time that didn't always "jive" with my business plan, but all companies do...Since being in this business and to this day after leaving them, I have always told people that want to break into this business that Bolt is the place to start...you will learn the business and more important you will learn how to run your buisness while maing pretty good money.

Now, i have been gone a little over a yr now, i have recently been hearing somethings that would make it hard for me to drive for them, but you know how people are, whats bad for one might be just fine for the other.

I have no idea if or who you spoke to at Bolt, but I'd tell you no matter who it was, speak to Anne M., she is in recruiting and will NOT lie to you...I trust her fully....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't get involved with them right now. The rates and amount of freight has decreased quite a bit over the last couple of months. You will have weekly costs of $35/week for OCC insurance, $30/week for QC, $5/week for paperwork, and $5/week for Liability Limiter Program. Those charges are permanent and you will have them every week unless they decide to add more. The other charges you will have are deducted weekly until you reach the set amount. Those charges are $50/week for escrow ($1000) for a van, $25/week for a satellite deposit ($275), and $50/week for sign on costs ($225). As you can see to get started you will need $200/week to pay Bolt to get leased on with them. There are other companies that charge for things like the QC but each company can be different. They were a good company and I have recommended them in the past and might do so in the future if things change but right now I would say stay away.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ZAGG81

Active Expediter
You didn't say what you drive, so.... I sttarted with them 4 yrs ago...did every well in a Cargo Van....yea they made changes over that time that didn't always "jive" with my business plan, but all companies do...Since being in this business and to this day after leaving them, I have always told people that want to break into this business that Bolt is the place to start...you will learn the business and more important you will learn how to run your buisness while maing pretty good money.

Now, i have been gone a little over a yr now, i have recently been hearing somethings that would make it hard for me to drive for them, but you know how people are, whats bad for one might be just fine for the other.

I have no idea if or who you spoke to at Bolt, but I'd tell you no matter who it was, speak to Anne M., she is in recruiting and will NOT lie to you...I trust her fully....
Yes i spoke with anne and its a cargo van.

ZAGG81

Active Expediter
I wouldn't get involved with them right now. The rates and amount of freight has decreased quite a bit over the last couple of months. You will have weekly costs of $35/week for OCC insurance, $30/week for QC, $5/week for paperwork, and $5/week for Liability Limiter Program. Those charges are permanent and you will have them every week unless they decide to add more. The other charges you will have are deducted weekly until you reach the set amount. Those charges are $50/week for escrow ($1000) for a van, $25/week for a satellite deposit ($275), and $50/week for sign on costs ($225). As you can see to get started you will need $200/week to pay Bolt to get leased on with them. There are other companies that charge for things like the QC but each company can be different. They were a good company and I have recommended them in the past and might do so in the future if things change but right now I would say stay away.

Thank you for this information.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for this information.

There are other expenses that go along with these as well like your non-trucking liability insurance, DOT physical, and drug test or if they decide to give you a random drug test you will pay for that, but the ones I posted are being deducted from your check by Bolt. There are many companies out here and they all do things a little differently, most of the bigger companies will have comparable types of charges but amounts will vary. As Dennis stated the advantage of a company like Bolt is the ability to learn the industry, you may or may not find that with smaller companies.

panorris62

Seasoned Expediter
No matter what type of business one owns there will always be a cost to running that business. I believe that if everyone keeps this in mind than they have a better chance of surviving. I think the information the guy is looking for is if they pay well, keep you moving, and are reputable.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Been waiting a week for a load

Ouch, sorry to hear that. We just ran into the same thing and it sucks. This week was OK, not good but better than it has been in the last month. It seems our rates went up a little as well, I hope it stays this way.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I guess I will ask the stupid questions.

What is a "liability limiter program"? And why would a driver cover this at $20.00 a month? Never heard of this from other carriers. 35 a week for OC insurance per person is pretty high as well.

And lastly. Why would a driver pay the carrier to do their paperwork?
Do drivers still pay the paperwork fee if they sat a week with no load? What paperwork would there be to fill out?

On the surface, it sure seems over reaching for income.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I guess I will ask the stupid questions.

What is a "liability limiter program"? And why would a driver cover this at $20.00 a month? Never heard of this from other carriers. 35 a week for OC insurance per person is pretty high as well.

And lastly. Why would a driver pay the carrier to do their paperwork?
Do drivers still pay the paperwork fee if they sat a week with no load? What paperwork would there be to fill out?

On the surface, it sure seems over reaching for income.

The limiter is insurance for the qc. unit.
35.00 per week for the Qualcomm service.
The 5.00 paperwork is for trans flow / scanning in your paperwork.

And yes you are charged that every week regardless.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok....why would you pay 5 dollars liability per week for a qual-comm that you are already paying 35 per week? Confused.

Don't really get the $5.00 paperwork fee either if the carrier doesn't supply a run for that week. They should at least give a coupon for a $5.00 foot-long Subway. :p

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The limiter is insurance for the qc. unit.
35.00 per week for the Qualcomm service.
The 5.00 paperwork is for trans flow / scanning in your paperwork.

And yes you are charged that every week regardless.

asjssl take a look at page 15 of 22 of our contract right at the top under Appendix B. I found the information there on the Liability Limiter Program in the contract and it looks to me like we are paying Bolt for liability, property damage, and cargo insurance. It says according to 49 U.S.C. 13906 that they have to have all vehicles covered for liability, property damage, and cargo insurance with a deductible no greater than $5,000. I'm looking into this but I was quite sure I already have cargo insurance through CIS, clearly we already have liability and property damage as that is a state requirement.

Edit: If you didn't have a copy emailed to you just send me your email address and I will forward a copy of mine.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
how many dispatcers do they have now, someone told me they went from 10 to about 40 in a the last year.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok....why would you pay 5 dollars liability per week for a qual-comm that you are already paying 35 per week? Confused.

You would pay it because they said so, [and they get your money first] and the choice is to go elsewhere, which will cost probably years worth of $5 per week.....Unlike the BOA customers, there aren't too many choices that won't be equally troublesome in their own way.

Don't really get the $5.00 paperwork fee either if the carrier doesn't supply a run for that week. They should at least give a coupon for a $5.00 foot-long Subway. :p

They charge the contractor for a random drug test?!:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
weird their banner ad at top of page reads

No Trailers fees, No Qualcomm fees, No paperwork fees...:rolleyes:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
May I ask what others are charged weekly from there carriers?? Anybody else pay insurance on the qc? Transflow fee??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only fee I pay is bobtail(empty ins) based on value of sprinter....and $30 a week for QC....Total $42 a week..