Biodiesel

fawazbarraj

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,

I Have Met With a Guy Today , and Talked about (Biodiesel)
He Told That He Is Useing Biodiesel In His Truck...... Its Cheaper Than Petro-Diesel ......Cleaner and......Gives a Better Fuel Miles..............

To Me Its Something New and never Done It Befor......So I Wanted To Share The Subject With Other guys Online

anyone Has any Informations about Biodiesel......How Much It Cost/gallon........Is It Safe To Use.......any modifications Needed On motor......fuel miles..... Where To Buy It......etc.

Thank You all.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
There are different levels of mixture for biodiesel just like ethanol in gas.

There were some problems with early b100 (100% bio) diesel fuels as they cleaned out the lines and tank and caused plugged fuel filters (usually first two tanks, change filters). So were a little extra costs there but it was the cheapest. The others are mixtures such as b85 (85%) and b20 (20%) bio. These in some places were more expensive than regular diesel (or at least where I saw it). The b100 was lower but the type (meaning what's it made from) made for different pricing.

The only people I know who have much lower pricing were making their own.

Now one other problem that surfaced with early b100 or b80+ fuels was that they gelled in cold weather at higher temps than regular diesel. So you had to winterize it. Now of course this comes back to what it was made from. many have worked to cure these problems so todays fuels should be much better.

I have found a gross lack of availability where I am and have seen a couple of stations actually close and others reduce the bio availability (poor sales). Part of this I beleive was the high cost of it.

Pricing as I said above ranged from more per gallon to not a lot less but again it depends on the product. For me the cold weather and availability have been two problems as well as for the most part over $0.40 per gallon more.

I haven't really looked for it for several months now so do some research about it and the availability as I know many want it.

Rob

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For locations selling it: National Biodiesel Board - www.biodiesel.org - www.nbb.org
Lots of other good info on it.

In theory it should give you less MPG because pure bio is 11% oxygen by weight so it has less energy in it.

That said, new engines with EGR reduce the amount of oxygen in the cylinder to burn. This is done to lower NOx. I have found in my testing, a B20 blend counter acts this (due to it containing oxygen) and CAN improve mileage. It seems to have the best effect in a light to moderately loaded engine. So in a Hino that is going full lung to move the load you won't see much difference. In a higher HP engine you see more benifit as it isn't working as hard. EGR rates are highest at light to moderate loads.

At blends over B50 there was always a mileage drop usually 4 to 10% but the engines ran great. If it was cheaper (like in VA) it sometimes offset the difference.

Carry a couple of fuel filters with you and know how to change them and experiment away!

I'd wait till spring though.........;)

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I just started running e10 gas in my car. There is a service station in town that sales it and I decided to do an experiment. First I read in my owner's manual to make sure it was ok. It said it was so I began the experiment.

lonercom

Seasoned Expediter
I just started running e10 gas in my car. There is a service station in town that sales it and I decided to do an experiment. First I read in my owner's manual to make sure it was ok. It said it was so I began the experiment.

E-10? Most stations sell that in the summer by law and don't tell you. I'm looking forward to E-100 (already have the convertor)

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The local Murphy's USA (WalMart) pumps have stickers on them saying the gasoline may contain up to 10% ethanol .
Ethanol is far less fuel efficient . The USPS FFV vehicles average 20 mpg with gas , 16 mpg with E85 .

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I dont know what hes useing for bio diesel,but my own experience,my mileage has fallen off,had to change fuel filters more often,and have not seen anywhere that it is cheaper,in fact what ive seen ,it costs more