Best way to get started with no CDL Exp?

walsh16

Active Expediter
You're welcome.

But, 5 hours? Really? Once you get to 50 or a 100, you'll know better what kind of questions to ask. When you get into this business you aren't just driving for somebody, you're an independent contractor operating your own business. Your research should match the gravity of that. Such hesitation to invest a whole 5 hours in industry research does not bode well for the success, even short term, of your business endeavor. Even if you drive for a fleet owner and don't have the investment expense of buying a truck, the minute you don't take this business seriously is precisely when it will expensively eat you alive.[/QUOTE

Not sure I would be on here asking questions if I wasn't trying to take it seriously and get some questions answered. you are obviously in no mood to be in the newbie section

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The more you read and the more questions you ask the better your chance of knowing if you can reach your goal of 50K.
And that is exactly what walsh16 is doing.

Too many times a newbie comes and askes a question and is told - Use the search feature.

The problem as I see it is, a newbie doesn't know what to ask, so they ask a generic question to get started.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I agree on the generic question and you know how difficult those questions are to answer. Is is better to ignore the generic question, give them a flippant reply, or to ask them to read and come back with a question we can answer?

How do we answer someone who asks what company is best, if they can make a living in a van, or if they can save 50k in two years. Can you answer his questions as I cannot without more information.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree on the generic question and you know how difficult those questions are to answer.
Don't we all.

Is is better to ignore the generic question, give them a flippant reply, or to ask them to read and come back with a question we can answer?
I think it is better to guide them to where they can find what their question is. ( If that even makes sense ) :cool:

How do we answer someone who asks what company is best, if they can make a living in a van, or if they can save 50k in two years. Can you answer his questions as I cannot without more information.
Asking the newbie for more information would be better, imo.

Again, the problem as I see it is, too many are just told - Use the search feature. How can a person use the search feature when they don't even know the question.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Wow! This got negative. To Walsh16, your post being a first time poster was phrased in a way that I have seen other people phrase questions in the past to make a sarcastic point or as a joke. That was the purpose of asking if you were for real or not. It's not your fault that people before you made this a joke.

Now, a word of advice. Everyone so far in this thread are seasoned successful professional expediters that are giving up there time to help out a newbie and each other. You should hold your anger and disappointment until after you do a little research. You will find the people you are crapping on right now are the people you will be asking help from as you gain a little more knowledge and get ready to start in this field. Also, if someone answers a question and doesn't answer the way you want them to then ask a clarifying question, don't attack with a jab on how you already know how to do something.

As far as your question goes, each of us in this thread so far are working with different carriers from each other. We found a carrier that fits us and they found carriers that fit them. Some of us are vanners, some of us drive or have driven tractors and some of us drive straight trucks. Some of us are solo drivers and some of us enjoy team driving. My personal preference is being an owner in a big custom sleeper reefer straight truck working for FedEx CC as a team. In this capacity I can put away just under $50,000 a year in savings with my 1/2 of the profit off the truck in a good year. I also go home 2-3 times a year, have my house rented out to cover my mortgage and utilities, and have a paid off car for when I am home. That being said it has taken me several years to get to this point. Some can do it faster than others and some on here think I'm crazy to have a big custom sleeper truck with a near $4,000 a month truck note. You gotta read around, go to your local truck stop and find trucks like us and ask questions. I haven't met an expediter who didn't welcome a chat at a truck stop.

This is a fun industry, but you gotta put in some research, then ask narrow questions that can be better answered and have thick skin. Best of luck to you.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Walsh: Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Rags: I cringe whenever I see someone say to use the search feature. One, because newbies especially don't even know what to search for, and two, the search feature is a worthless, complicated mess that doesn't work right most of the time, as it omits valid results entirely. I've searched keywords in posts that I'm looking right at and the search can't find them.

I'll try and give an answer to whatever question is asked, even if it's not a complete or definitive answer, because that's what I want when I ask a question. I won't tell them to use the search function, but I will on occasion tell them to just go back and start reading posts. Not because they'll find their answers, but they can read through 59 threads and learn 50 things they haven't even thought about yet. Once they do that, their questions become informed, intelligent questions that can be answered properly.

"Can I save up $50,000 in two years as an expediter based in South Florida?" is a question that screams ignorance. Anybody that reads 50, 100 threads first, isn't even going to ask a question like that.

And there are no search terms that will give them the answer. And even if there were, half the valid results wouldn't even show up. <snort>

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree the search function is worthless. Not totally worthless but close. For those who might not post a question out of fear of ridicule, please post in this forum: Panther Expedited I guarantee nobody will talk down to you, tell you to use the search function or read back two years, offer up smartassed remarks etc. Feel confident knowing your post will be completely ignored.

Exit99

Rookie Expediter
Just a thought from another newbie's perspective...

You do need a thick skin to post here. But I'm guessing you also need a thick skin to be an expediter. I know I had to grow one when we first went OTR four years ago.

You should spend time reading old posts. I have gotten numerous answers that way and ANY new business startup must do research or they risk all kinds of trouble that could have been avoided.

I have spent time on here almost every day since last October, along with tons of other sites, like OOIDA, company websites, Expediter Services, blogs, books by drivers, my local SBDC, and the Utah Microenterprise Loan Fund. I think our previous driving experience will help us. Are we ready to take the plunge? I hope so. Only 1 way to find out for sure...will know if we can around the end of January

Walsh - ask the questions, but be prepared to sort thru the BS and to not always like the answer. Be prepared to look elsewhere if the info you want is not forthcoming. Good Luck!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Walsh;

Get many of your questions answered by spending 4 hours at an Expediters University Workshop put on by ExpeditersOnLine.com and On-Time Media. You can find links to these events on the homepage here of EO. The next event is in Knoxville, TN - see the link below.

Expedited Trucking Workshops 2015 - EO University

Guaranteed that you will leave with a much better understanding of this industry and be able to determine if your expectations can be met. You'll have the opportunity to talk to many folks in the industry - recruiters, drivers and safety personnel.

Keep your chin up and keep at it!

Thanks,

MightyMack

Active Expediter
Megalon, have you thought about going to a good truck driving school first? There are some quality truck driving schools in Michigan if you know what to look for. Stay away from anyone that promises you quality cdl training in 2 weeks or less. I know you said your credit score wasn't ideal for taking out a loan and I can understand where you are coming from. You may want to read this article about acquiring truck driving school grants and see if the information applies to you. Good luck! It's your time and money and what you do with it is your choice.

Last edited: