Best D-Unit: FL60 or Something Else?

G

Inerested in your thoughts on what OEM to go with when considering a new D-Unit (as a Class 5 streight truck).

Leaning toward a Freightliner FL60 w/ integrated aftermarket sleeper but would like to also consider or rule-out: International, Ford, Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Volvo.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
My self personally I would go with the Kenworth from Jeff Jones in Fort Wayne. A FL-60 is more of a "C" unit truck. If you were set on Freightliner I wouldn't go lower than a FL-70.

G

Yes that would be the correct D-unit model truck from KW. I personnally drive a Intl 4900 as a D-unit. It isn't the best looking rig on the road but it goes a long way toward getting the job done. It is a '95 with just over 500k mi. on it. I bought it 3 yrs. ago and have had very little mechanical problems with it.
If I were going to buy a new truck, I would get one with at least a 275 or 300 hp motor. And if you are a team operation I would opt for a sleeper with a "walk-in" setup for the sleeper.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
the perfect d unit is a western star class 8 right lenght
from the factory, comes in with 64" to 76" sleeper from the
factory , i have one as c unit check out georgebmcdonald,com
rides great, rought road in ak you can put a cup of soda
on the dash and it stays there won't spill.
call dan at tsi 800-388-3850,

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wow George! Nice truck! The old FL finally bit the dust huh? Guess you'll be in expediting a few more years to pay for this one! Does Curious George still ride shotgun? Drive Happy! Chris

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a 98 FL70 with 305,000 miles. Since the two-year warranty expired, I have spent nearly $2,000 in repairs.

From reading the forums, I would certainly look at the KW T300 if I were to buy another truck because of the five-year warranty. I think the warranty goes with the truck if it is sold within the warranty period.

With all the used trucks on the market, I would only look at used units.

G

We just bought a new International 4700 after looking at just about every truck. We peferred the ergonomics of the cab over the FL-60 I had been driving for a local company. We speced the 230 hp DT-466 engine which has a great reputation along with the Allison MD-3060 transmission (call us lazy if you wanna, but we love it in slow traffic :))

We also went with a Rodes Rambler sleper which we were very impressed with the quality in relation to the price.

We might add that this is not a good package for "big & tall" drivers as the legroom is less than the Freightliner and if you're over 6', you can't stand up in the bunk, but it fits us fine.