being sick on the road

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
welll flu season is upon us.....
last winter i was soo sick .... with a fever .. and well just was miserable...
my daughter was with me and kinda helped by getting some things .
think we camped out in a wal mart parking lot for a day and half.... i stayed in bed most that time ..... till i felt a lil better to at least drive to a truck stop .. soo i could get a shower room and get some steam going ... which by the 3rd day i was feeling better.......
still kinda sick but better then i was.....
i never get sick.... its very rare i get sick with anything.
anyways.......... how about some of you.
how do you handle it???

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It has only happened to us twice that we became too sick to drive. Both times we spent in bed in the truck until it passed. Once was at a truck stop. Once was at an RV park. We were no so sick as to be confined to bed. Had that been the case, a hotel room would have been the solution.

Flu shots are now available at many grocery stores, some Wal-Mart locations, and urgent-care clinics. Your post reminds us to get ours again this year. Last year we got them at the clinic at Jubitz truck stop in Portland, Oregon. The cost was $25 each and was reimbursed from our health insurance.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have been lucky so far. We have never been really sick enough to shut down while we were out. We both got the flu last year (I had a flu shot) but we were home when we got it. My first choice would be to make it home if we were close enough and able to drive. My second choice would be a motel and the truck my last. Layoutshooter

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
The first thing a person should do is let someone know that they are sick, and where they are. If nobody knows to check on you then you could die in that truck. Well you could anyway, but if, say you was supposed to check in every day and you didn't, then your friend could notify the local police.

I would never trust the truck stop to check on you. Case in point, several years ago I smelled something very wrong on a TA lot in Knoxville, Tn. I notified the management and they said "don't worry about it, someone must have put something in the trash, that van has been out there on the lot for several days". When I told them I was going to call 911 and the local TV stations, they finally checked things out.

As it turned out, their "trash" was a man from someplace out in Arizona that died all alone, and nobody cared. No one could have saved this mans life, but he didn't have to be left alone in that parking lot for several days in August.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
here is the gracie and jack way of fighting flu.

BEFORE you get sick you need to purchase a package of oscillococcinum known at health food stores as osci--(ossy).

when the feeling of flu comes follow the instructions.

active ingredient ;
anas barbariae hepatis et cordis extractum 200ck hpou--to reduce the duration and severity of flu symptoms. the hpus indicates the ingredient is included in the homeopathic pharmacopea of the united states.

gracie taught me to believe in homeopathic meds when we started living together. any good health food store wil carry this and also some very good homeopathic remedies in blue capped tubes for pain, allergic reaction and headaches awa many other things that can go wrong with the body.

although it does not say this on the package rest is also a great aid long with hot baths and lots of reading material.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My choice would be to go out of service, stock up on Nyquil (it knocks me out cold), get a motel room, and sleep through the worst of it.
If you need a Doc-in-a-box, just ask any desk clerk at a decent hotel/motel, they'll know where to send you, and often have preprinted directions handy.
And don't forget to stay hydrated!