>time they want to and there's no recourse unless the accused
>happens to be traveling in a convoy of companions that he
>can round up to act as witnesses in court. To assume the
>integrity of all these troopers is beyond reproach is just
>being naive. There are some bad apples in that barrel too,
>and I want to know where they are. Therefore, since I can't
>handle the chatter on a CB any more I never travel without a
>radar dectector. I'm not using it to facilitate speeding or
>breaking the law - I'm just leveling the playing field.

I gotta tell ya, the more I think about this one, the funnier it gets.

"I'm not using it to facilitate speeding or breaking the law..." yet the fact that it is in a commercial vehicle is, in fact, breaking the law. Too funny.

Also, there's no playing field to level, unless you are, in fact, speeding to begin with, and you want to know where the bears are for that very reason. The playing field is already level, right at the speed limit. You break the limit and you've tilted the playing field in your favor. Bears use radar (and any number of other methods) to bring the field back to plumb.

If you aren't speeding, you're on a level playing field, and a radar detector will have no bearing on the fact that you are not speeding. Nor will it have any bearing on a Bad Boy falsely giving you a ticket for 14 over when you are going 5 under.

If you aren't speeding and you keep falsely getting speeding tickets, anyway, the only way to level that playing field is to get a black box recorder that records time and speeds

Bottom line is, you want a radar detector, so you've got one. There's really no reason to try and justify the fact that merely because you don't agree with a particular law that it shouldn't apply to you.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's something else that might be good for a good belly laugh - I sometimes don't wear my seat belt, in spite of the fact that the law in most states requires it. If that and my radar detector warrent my picture being hung in the post office, so be it. I guess my statement should have been "I'm not using it to facilitate speeding or endanger the lives of others." Also, I never claimed the law didn't apply to me and I'm fully aware of the consequences if I get busted. The fact remains that I don't speed or drive recklessly and I don't get tickets - period.

Obviously, I need to clarify the point I tried to make about the playing field: it's only level if ALL the troopers behind the radar gun are honest and fair minded. It's my belief based on experience that a few of them are not, and if they abuse their authority there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
While I don't agree with the seatbelt laws, not at all, not even a little bit (legislating stupidity is stoopid), not wearing one simply because I don't feel like obeying that particular law today is no different than breaking any other law that I don't agree with. If someone willfully and flagrantly would illegally use a radar detector, as well as not wearing a seatbelt for the same reasons, one can only wonder what other laws are being broken with such triviality.

If you take the job seriously, then you take the laws governing the job seriously. If you don't take the laws seriously, then is there anything about the job you do take seriously? You've cheerfully admitted to the routine braking of two laws, which demonstrates a willful pattern. Is it even safe to be out there on the road with you? (That's a rhetorical question, because the more unsafe a driver is, the more vehemently they will profess just how safe, and good, a driver they are. So it's probably better left unanswered. :))

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>While I don't agree with the seatbelt laws, not at all, not
>even a little bit (legislating stupidity is stoopid), not
>wearing one simply because I don't feel like obeying that
>particular law today is no different than breaking any other
>law that I don't agree with. If someone willfully and
>flagrantly would illegally use a radar detector, as well as
>not wearing a seatbelt for the same reasons, one can only
>wonder what other laws are being broken with such
>triviality.
>
>If you take the job seriously, then you take the laws
>governing the job seriously. If you don't take the laws
>seriously, then is there anything about the job you do take
>seriously? You've cheerfully admitted to the routine braking
>of two laws, which demonstrates a willful pattern. Is it
>even safe to be out there on the road with you? (That's a
>rhetorical question, because the more unsafe a driver is,
>the more vehemently they will profess just how safe, and
>good, a driver they are. So it's probably better left
>unanswered. :))

Turtle;

The fact is, you know absolutely nothing about me except my admissions that (a)I use a radar detector and (b)I sometimes don't wear my seat belt, although nowhere did I say this was solely to thumb my nose at the law. So let me get this straight - with your train of logic (using the term loosely) this makes me and anyone else guilty of these two sins (1)an outlaw, (2)a dangerous driver, and (3)a liar - according to the absurd circular reasoning in your last sentence - if I happen to disagree with your santimonius position.

Since you've chosen to turn to personal insults, it's obvious this thread has taken a turn away from the original subject matter of radar detectors. Therefore, I won't post any more comments on this subject - but I would suggest that you get to know someone better before you trash their integrity in a public forum.

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Made In America) You are nothing but an uneducated jerk making a statement like, "Osama nice Hino" You have no idea on how many hundreds of American People work in either California or Florida who put the Hino's together, or know most of the parts are American made such as the transmissions,rear suspenshions, and the list goes on.

But American sure sounds good, the truth is most new equipment weather its cars,trucks etc has many Jap parts etc buit into them like it or not.

Garman351

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
What this is really and truley all about and I disagree with T-Hawk 100% is SAVING LIVES maybee mine, yours, your baby daughter or best friend.

80mph is gona KILL. Why do people need to travel at this speed is beyond me just cause they can does not give them that right.

My father was a Police Officer for 20 years, I have seen cars turned inside out people who were so crushed they could not get them out and now they have the jaws of life back then they did not so large crow bars were used. Now you want a cop, to keep his personal attitude to himself when he sees these kinds of accidents most likely weekly? He is doing you, me and everyone out there when one decides to do 15 to 20 mph over the speed limit by writing them a ticket.

Now writing a ticket for 5 over thats stamp collecting for the state but not 15-20 mph over. You get cought in NC doing 14 over you loose your lisence when you appear in court over 19 its JAIL TIME. I like that LAW......in fact I LOVE THAT LAW.

nightshift

Expert Expediter
Interesting thread. Original subject, radar detectors, easy enough, FMCSA says illegal, well then it's illegal. Circling the number on the ticket to indicate someone was using one being a secret code between the Trooper and the Judge, well don't we in the trucking industry have secret codes between us and the main office that our customers may not be aware of? I just look at that as more notes to be referred to when appearing in court. If someone wants to try and fight a ticket they get their day in court and the accuser (the Trooper in this case) has to be there, so this is not a way to get the Trooper out of a court appearence. The one I really like is the tag line "Being an American means buying American". One thing I have learned from expiditing is that what we seem to think of as American companies (Ford, GM, Chrysler) are mostly overseas employing foreigners, and what we think of as foreign companies (BMW, Nissan, Toyota) have large assembly plants here in the US employing Americans, so are you wanting to buy an American name or are you wanting to support the American workforce?

Don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense being late.

Made In Detroit

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry if you feel that way Osama, are all entitled to our opinions though aren't we. Just like my opinion of those whom make assumptions. The first three letters of assumption obviously applies to you for assuming that I am uneducated. Last time that I checked my Bachelors' Degree was still hanging over my toilet. Didn't know that a truck-driving, former factory-rat could actually go to college as well did you? Of course I have to take into consideration that this is coming from a person who is so un-original that he has to name himself after his GPS because he is afraid of misspelling anything else. :p

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Big Jon)
I'm just wondering if your College? degree was in Human relations?

Im just wondering if your handle is going to change to made in Mexico
in the next few years? Thanks to most unions People cannot afford to buy a new car anymore because they cost close to $20K or more for a plastic peace of junk with no chrome, so People like you can get paid over $20 a hour plus a benefit package worth another $75 an hour or more to sweep the floors with a High School education.

You can always tell when dropping off a load at a Auto plant, what jerks the workers are to deal with, they think they are God's.

Im sorry you have a fasination with osama, I didn't know Hino had a factory in Afganistan? The last I knew the Japanese People are our Allay's, and the People who put them together are American's who assemble the Hino's with a great deal of American made parts! it would be funny to find out if they are represented by the UAW? Does anybody know?

( I do apoligize to everybody who reads these posts, it's just fun to deal with a person who clearly hates everybody and could carless how he drives and has lack of respect for our State & Federal laws. This type of mentally is the reason why new laws hurt the rest of us, or bad images of Truck drivers People have when he causes an accident that Kill's People. "My last statement on this"

Gar man not Garmon
:D :D

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
OK sports fans...Take it outside.

If you'd like to continue the personal flaming, please use the PM's or go outside and play nice. The topic is about Radar detectors so let's return to that.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Ok Terryandrene)
Better put on your glasses, Ol Big Jon was slamming the Hino brand of Truck's with no idea on what he was talking about, besides the radar topic everybody was talking about, (OK)

Garman351

elway

Seasoned Expediter
It just seems funny to me that so many people get on there soap box over such a little item.... Does it mean he is going to stop using it.... I bet not... But its his ticket and if thats what someone wants who am i to say there wrong I think alot of you get way to uptight over some silly crap... He was just saying what a good job it done nothing more you guys just read into this way to much

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Radar detectors may be obsolete soon anyway . I read in "The Trucker " where cellular providers are making data available to law enforcement that allows them to track how fast your cell phone is travelling - even if it's turned off .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Werner Heisenberg is pulled over by the police for speeding one night. The police officer asks the professor, "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" Heisenberg replies, "No, but I know exactly where I am."

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Radar detectors may be obsolete soon anyway . I read in "The
>Trucker " where cellular providers are making data available
>to law enforcement that allows them to track how fast your
>cell phone is travelling - even if it's turned off .

ok not to be a smart a** but until they fix the triagulation system used by elminating the degrading multipath distortion within the signal path, they will never be able to track a phone properly let alone the speed. The legal ramifications could be somewhat fun to see in court too.

Oh and I wish Cingular will stop dropping my calls.

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Just curious, if a GPS can track your speed fairly accurately, how difficult would it be to track your speed with a cell phone? I realize one uses towers and one uses satellites, but with technology moving at the speed of light I imagine it's only a short time away before your speed can be tracked that way. Also, the roadside speed detectors can now issue tickets based on the speed you went by at, that will probably be the next thing to install them everywhere and issue tickets by computer directly to your house! Scared of all that..... radar detectors I believe will soon be obsolete anyways.

Obeying the law seems like a simple solution to it all in my opinion.

Dianne

:+

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>Just curious, if a GPS can track your speed fairly
>accurately, how difficult would it be to track your speed
>with a cell phone? I realize one uses towers and one uses
>satellites, but with technology moving at the speed of light
>I imagine it's only a short time away before your speed can
>be tracked that way. Also, the roadside speed detectors can
>now issue tickets based on the speed you went by at, that
>will probably be the next thing to install them everywhere
>and issue tickets by computer directly to your house!
>Scared of all that..... radar detectors I believe will soon
>be obsolete anyways.
>
>Obeying the law seems like a simple solution to it all in my
>opinion.
>
>The article stated they can pinpoint the location of your phone every 30 seconds with it turned off , more frequently with it turned on . Cops could be parked a few blocks off the highway out of sight then move in and get you with a radar gun when alerted .
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Dianne
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>:+

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dianne
I am sorry but I may have been mistaken. I think that there is mention in an article I read about using the phones with the GPS receivers built in. I think I will pass on one of those phones if any state or city tries to use that type of system.

But to explain what I mean and without getting into a real in depth explanation I can point out that there is a big difference between the global positioning system we have in the sky with the very precise and expensive atomic clocks and the cellular system hobbled together by the carriers where some still use the broadcast time standard system.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
If you've purchased a cell phone within the past two years, it's got a GPS chip in it. Federal law requires this. However, they don't function if the phone is turned off.