Battery question for Turtle

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
This link is from a laser pointer forum, which doesn't interest me, but they're talking about stuff that's related. http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/alternate-source-18650-batteries-54345.html

I ordered a Fenix TK35 flashlight. They're powered by CR123A batteries, but they can also be powered with rechargeable 18650s. 18650s are, according to this site, what's inside laptop batteries, but there's some doubt about the output with those. I don't see anything about it on Fenix's website, any spec saying how many mAh is necessary to achieve max output. Any ideas? I'm finding 18650s hard to come by. Even Batteries Plus doesn't carry them. If I find them, I don't want to pick up ones that won't do.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I see what you are saying, after all those TRAXXAS cars used to run on an gas motor, and nowdays they run on battery's. same goes to RC helicopters & planes, they used to have a small gas engine (17,000rpm!) and run on small battery's now. in Minnesota they race RC boats on the lakes, and RC Snowmobile's on the frozen lakes.
but i still think that a battery's run Turtle's are still a few decades out...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This link is from a laser pointer forum, which doesn't interest me, but they're talking about stuff that's related. Alternate source of 18650 batteries... - Laser Pointer Forums - Laser Pointers and Laser Pointer info

I ordered a Fenix TK35 flashlight. They're powered by CR123A batteries, but they can also be powered with rechargeable 18650s. 18650s are, according to this site, what's inside laptop batteries, but there's some doubt about the output with those. I don't see anything about it on Fenix's website, any spec saying how many mAh is necessary to achieve max output. Any ideas? I'm finding 18650s hard to come by. Even Batteries Plus doesn't carry them. If I find them, I don't want to pick up ones that won't do.
Max output will be achieved by the proper voltage, which either the CD123a or the 18650 batteries will give you, despite their being two different voltages at the battery output. The mAh only affected for how long you can use the batteries before they need to be recharged. The 18650 batteries aren't all that hard to find, but finding good ones is a little harder. Rather than cannibalizing laptop battery packs to get them, which is kinda retarded if ya ask me, I'd just use the ones that are available here:
FenixTactical: AW 18650 Li-ion Rechargeable 3400 mAh battery

But you can also get them here:
Battery Junction: Universal Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger + 2 18650 Batteries!

But I'd go with the first link.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I really wanted to get them some place where I could go in and walk out with them. Batteries Plus doesn't carry them but they can order them. But they max out at 3100 mAh.
Thanks, Turtle.