Battery Help

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Hi everybody. I have an International 4400 with a dt466 engine. Right now we don't have an apu or generator to help keep our batteries charged, and from what I've heard this engine shouldn't be idled.
I'm trying to find some way to feel a little safer and know that if our batteries die, we can start ourselves back up.
We would love to be able to play xbox or use our electronics in the truck, but it seems to eat the battery life quickly.
Any solutions? I would like something to keep the batteries charged as opposed to jumping us all the time. I've been hearing of a solar charger, and of course apus. Apus are very expensive though.
Also, what about something as simple as a battery monitor that will alert you of low battery?
Any and all ideas are welcome. This is really starting to annoy me greatly, and if it comes down to it, then I will be forced to go the apu route, but cheaper could work for a while. Thanks everybody!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
If you keep discharging the batteries that amount (deep cycle) you'll end up buying new ones in a short time. Why not just go the portable gen set route and be done with.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm trying to find some way to feel a little safer and know that if our batteries die, we can start ourselves back up.
There are really only two "best ways" to do that. One is use a generator, and the other is use a separate house bank of batteries for all inverter activities. The bestest best way is to use a house bank and a generator where the generator can be used to run high amp draw applications like an air conditioner, and to recharge the batteries. In all of the above solutions, the cranking batteries are left alone and are use for what they were designed for, to crank the engine.

We would love to be able to play xbox or use our electronics in the truck, but it seems to eat the battery life quickly.
Yep. You're just killin' the batteries. Don't feel bad, most owners kill their batteries.

The short answer is the one Greg gave you.

The long answer is you need to understand what's going on in order to make an informed decision about what you're up against. Basically, since the starting batteries are so critical to what you do, it's best to not mess with them.

Read this:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/22537-our-batteries.html

and then this:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/22660-batteries-crankinig-amps.html

Then you'll know better of what to do from there.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Okay, so, I would like to go the APU/Generator route anyway. Question is, how or where can I find a deal on one of these things? I know there has to be a way to get one cheaper than they are new...any tips on that?

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
I get a bunch of my toys from ebay. I limit myself to max 50% of retail and research the product before bidding. There are always new and used Honda Generators and a few used apu's at any given time. Keep an eye on the shipping though.