Bad drivers.....

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I'm so tired of having to deal with all sort of drivers.I'm trying to be a nice guy but all I get in return is crap.I think we should open a thread where we can post our experiences -name of drivers and what happened. Also drivers can express their feelings about experiences with owners. I think by revealing some of our issues we can SAVE others' time when searching for a driver or an owner.
It is not fair that a driver can for example do somethig unprofessional and just walk away to an other owner...

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Can you be more specific???
I think you have a good idea but you need to put a worm on the hook.
Don't need to mention names but specific circumstances might help build a constructive forum beneficial to all.
Mike

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
15 years of supervising people in the Cleaning Business is enough for me to see that turning over a set of keys to a 50K truck or way way more, is more than I could handle. Very possible $125K or even higher.

In my interviews they were all eager and happy to do WHAT EVER, two weeks later I was SATIN. Just show up, do the job and I will pay and also the bonus I promised, you must live up to your end of the Bargin as well. But no no no I was always the bad guy. Ever heard this phrase? REASONS with no RESULTS, all my customers were paying for was RESULTS not REASONS.

Remember this I just talked about this in a funny way with my Bride tonight, show compassion and your gona get your heart ripped out, along with your check book.

Be hard, firm, and not care about your staffs personal problems, one has a chance. I failed at being hard. I failed my family and check book being a nice guy. Stories to deep to go into but the Customer always was taken care of even if meant I had to stay out till 6 AM and did the employee with a date care?

It is the same here.

But one story I would like to add and see if any of you agree: I was at a College yesterday and they had a truck training school there. I introduced myself to the operations director. He asked if me this, would me and wife would be intrested in Teaming that he happened to know a ABC owner who leased to XYZ Co. and told him that the wages would be $100K a year for driving for ABC Owner.

Hmm I think I smelled a rat in ABCs story to the Director or am I missing something here. Is it rational that ABC could really pay a Husband Wife Team a 100K after buying a recently a newer truck? Does not seem to add up to 100K to me how about you? See why maybee people do not trust you, its the un-truthfullness they have been told over and over. Your gona have to work hard like Dave C, to have people want to come to work for you, or have top notch equipment like him or Leo and an outstanding reputation, before you can pick and choose. Now getting there is gona be costly, been there done that and thats what its gona take.

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
at least owners can use DAC
drivers have nothen but word of mouth to check up on owners and companys
ask 100 drivers how acompany or owner is
25 will tell you not worth a _________________
50 will tell you ok but this or that needs to be changed andi'm looking for a new company to sign on to
15 will tell you thier the same as everybody else
10 will tell you thier the best in the world and wouldn't work for anybody else
:+ :-(

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
I'm new to the forum but this is an interesting topic. We have a fleet of cargos with Panther and it gets frustrating when you get 2 or 3 drivers that are not worth anything and you spend the money to get them going (orientation, fuel, advances) and then they leave or you make the choice to get rid of them. It seems like the driver can walk away at the time. However eventually that driver will get a rep with other companies. I just wish more could be done on the initial screening by the companies to try and weed out the bad ones. Owners can get a bad rep so easily, even if it isn't warranted or true just from guys talking out on the road. Even the best owner, like the best expediting company will have negative things said because everyone is different and expediting isn't for everyone. It sure does hurt though when times are slow and you need a few guys and they turn out not to work out. Hang in there.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Is it bad drivers or just lazy ones.In a nut shell,thats why I'm down to one truck.I've heard all the stories from the drivers,why they are quitting this guy or that,you hire them,first month they do great,then the new broom is old.I've had two teams that cleared 100k for year,after fuel,both were husband and wife teams.I had one team,when I let them go,all I heard was we wont have anywhere to live,then I guess they should of stayed loaded instead of hide from dispatch.I've had my buds tell me i paid drivers to much,better them than uncle sam,but then they dont have to work either,to get that perfect team,or driver,they already own their own truck,or your just plain lucky,or some other owner opp steals your drivers.
when I gamble,I bet on me,or my knowledge,but with all this said,just remember,that 150000 dollar truck is just a tool,it has to be maintained,and if the drivers dont take care of it,then there is another problem,non of them will ever feel its their fault the truck broke.ok thats about as negative as i will ever get,guess I got burned one to many times

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I, too, have had a problem with finding good drivers. It seems like the more you give or do for a driver, the more they want and it's you who will get burned in the end. This happens to me time after time. It gets real discouraging but I keep plugging along. You can only do so much background/info checking on a driver but in the long run, their true work ethics, morals, and personality will rear it's ugly head. I always said that trying to find a good driver is like weeding the thorns to get to the roses. Unfortunately for me, it's been mostly thorns the past few months.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be an interesting forum. Nasty stories on both sides of this issue. Bad trucks, lasy drivers, over extended owners, drivers leaving trucks in the middle of nowhere. Seems to me it is a problem of people not acting like adults. Owners and drivers have to live up to the promises they make. Drivers need to have a real idea what this biz is like, owners have to present it in a real way. By the way wingnut, GO WINGS!!!!!! layoutshooter

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Ok, so let's start.It is gonna be enough to write down the driver name ,and his short story.
Driver name: Bill xxxxxxx,from Florida.This guy call meto drive my van leased for TriSTATE.I pick him up from the Atlanta GreyHound station,I paid him hotel,I helped him open an account,I payd the gas from Atlanta to Toledo for the 3 days orientation.After the orientation he take 3(three!!!) loads in 4 days ,I paid the gas and I gave him advance money!!!!After that he called me ,he said he quit (no reson).He said he will bring me back the van in Atlanta next morning.He ended up sending me an SMS next day evening that the van is park at the GreyHOUND station in Atlanta with the key hide somewhere next to the gastank.
I think that story will help the owners to not hire this guy....

[font color="red"]Driver last name edited out by Dreamer. Thanks.[/font]

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Jeepers Zoli,
I would be ticked as well..
How could anyone in their right mind walk away from a "B" unit leased on with Tri-state???
I do not believe in my heart anyone will be worthy or up to the task and if they claim to be perhaps a federal background check or maybe even a psychological evaluation would be in order.
Might I suggest to maximize your revenue and minimize your headaches to change the Chevy Vandura into a ice cream truck and drive it yourself...
Don't mean to be crass but I have done this for awhile and have seen good and bad on both sides of the fence.
I have learned (if nothing else) if it looks like a turd and smells like a turd then brother it is a turd.
Your expectations are seemingly unrealistic and naming someone publicly in an open forum is a testament of your character.
I am a driver and you and I would not get past hello.
Mike

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
One more thing...(or 4)
Times like this bring out the worst in everyone...
A good owner under pressure can become a Mr Hyde overnight and a good driver can become a real big pain in the arse.
Naming names and pointing fingers in an open forum is a bad idea cause the source is unverifiable and as a consequence unreliable.
A forum of community participation helping to define industry norm's and reasonable expectations I am 100% for but having a place for Mr sour puss and boots to cry about sour milk does nothing to better our cause.
No disrespect but if you can't keep anyone in a van or $190k truck maybe the problem isn't the driver.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
mrgoodtude
''Your expectations are seemingly unrealistic and naming someone publicly in an open forum is a testament of your character''.

What do you mean???My character????

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
You a driver so I can understand you.My point is that we (owners),should help each others to not waist our time and money with this kind of loosers...It's something wrong for you?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Nameing someone in an open forum might get you a law suit,but if you feel the person isnt worthy,then just tell your company about that person,and maybe they might give the next person to hire them a heads up.It costs all of us,time and money, to put a driver on,and if they quit right away,,by the time you get the next guy,your behind the eight ball.My pet peeve is,after you spend the time and money to put a driver on,another owner steels them away,making promisses they cant keep,but a newbie driver wont know that,so there you go,starting all over.There are good owners and bad owners,just like drivers,are either good or bad,when I had my drivers,I didnt micro manage them.Unless they called me with a problem,we didnt talk business,except how the truck was,you just have to remember,if that person your going to hire is really that good,why doesnt he own his own truck.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
>You a driver so I can understand you.My point is that we
>(owners),should help each others to not waist our time and
>money with this kind of loosers...It's something wrong for
>you?

Let me illustrate...
Zoltan Fekete AKA Zoli is a "nut case"...
Is that any different than you saying Bill xxxxxx is a loser???
I don't think so.
Truth is the guy maybe couldn't understand you became frustrated and left you holding the bag...
Maybe the guy was new to expedite and came in with unrealistic expectations.
I might get my nose bit off but how can a van with Tri State (or any other company for that matter) generate enough revenue to make 2 people happy.
The real point Mr Zoltan is that Mr xxxxxxx cannot defend himself and "you" may not be forthcoming with all the details so who would benefit by providing "you" with an avenue to spew your garbage.
Funny,
I made a resolution this year to be kind and helpful in the forum world or say nothing at all.
Then you come along.
Good luck in your search for a "good" driver.

[font color="red"]Driver last name edited out by Dreamer. Thanks.[/font]

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have quite often thought about putting on another van BUT show me the money!!! There's hardly enough profit from an O/O's standpoint let alone pay out 60/40. I thought maybe a 70/30 split would work better with driver paying fuel to keep drivers "cruisin" down. But even one major repair would pretty much wipe-out any profit for that van for the year. Let alone find a driver that would take care of the van as needed.

I would suppose an owner that had say 10 old vans and a spare or 2 and a fix-up garage could weed out a profit...but the time spent and the aggrevation with drivers is just not the prettiest picture.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
mrgoodtude
I feel sorry for you...You did not understand anything from my point.Because people like you we have a lot of unresponseble drivers...I'm not afraid puting my name on this forum,my adress my date of birth or anything else.I do not hiding anything.Do you?
I will not spend my time with you anymore...Maybe this is to high for you.Keep driving and not not thinking.It's to hard for you doing both...

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
Ooooh, I don't know but being a fleet owner with 15 vans obviously gets me a lot of turnover as I have only vans. I like most people think we are good owners and treat our drivers as good as possible. However it is true when times are lean it does bring out the worst in people and issues get magnified. And though lately I have had a few drivers that have not been worth anything and like everyone else I could tell some crazy stories about the ruthlesness of drivers ect, I would never call them out. I believe that should be between the owner and the company they are with. Just the same as drivers. I have made mistakes as an owner that I wish I could take back. Just because I'm an owner doesn't mean I'm right all the time. We have to act like adults and deal with our companies or DAC. I think it is a good topic though.

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
>I have quite often thought about putting on another van BUT
>show me the money!!! There's hardly enough profit from an
>O/O's standpoint let alone pay out 60/40. I thought maybe a
>70/30 split would work better with driver paying fuel to
>keep drivers "cruisin" down. But even one major repair would
>pretty much wipe-out any profit for that van for the year.
>Let alone find a driver that would take care of the van as
>needed.
>
>I would suppose an owner that had say 10 old vans and a
>spare or 2 and a fix-up garage could weed out a profit...but
>the time spent and the aggrevation with drivers is just not
>the prettiest picture.

In general Van, you are describing us. We have 15 vans from 2005-1999 and a local shop that keeps things running. Now, my Dad, father in law, and I run the business and you are right even so there isn't a lot of profit in it. But there is some, and we do have rental property. We know we won't be millionaires but we do plug along. We have though learned the hard way that you have to have spreadsheets on everything to know where the money is spent to the penny. We do our own quarterly mainenance reports on the vans and keep a spreadsheet on that and remind our drivers when things need to be done. I believe in preventative maintenance if possible. But there is truth in what you are saying, sometimes dealing with the driver riff raff, it makes you wonder why you keep doing what you are doing. In the end for us, it is a family business and we get some enjoyment out of it.

truckerb1968

Seasoned Expediter
Have you heard of Defimation of Character? I suggest you think twice before you go bad mouthing this guy and be glad he didn't leave your truck in Toledo.