Back From The Grave

winemaker3279

Expert Expediter
Not sure if anyone remembers me or not, probably not, but about 8 months ago I was contemplating a career change. My job as a local class A driver was coming to an end. I made the decision to get another local company job instead of buying a cargo van and go expediting. Mainly because it seemed like everyone was down on the way the industry was headed. Most people felt like the freight was drying up. Alot of people were slamming FedEx CC also. Well, it's now almost a new year and once again I'm forced to make a decision. I have been with two companies as a local driver. Both have turned out to be financial disasters. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any answers you all can give me. Here goes.

1. Has the freight picked up any for cargo vans in the Chicago area?
2. What companies are you happy or unhappy being with?
3. Can I make any money and still be home weekends and a few nights during the week?
4. What are the approximate monthly costs of running a cargo van, minus the truck payment?
5. Is it possible to net 50k plus per year?
6. Does Rudolphs nose really light up??

Thanks for your help gang. Merry Christmas!!!!!!

fastman1us

Expert Expediter
I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM GETTING OUT OF THE CHICAGO AREA LONGEST I HAVE WAITED FOR A LOAD WAS 8 HOURS. I'M WITH PREMIUM TRANSPORTATION IN TOLEDO I'M HOME MOST WEEKENDS AND AT LEAST ONCE DURING THE WEEK.I LIVE IN CLEVELAND OHIO.AS FOR EXPENESES THATS A HARD TO PIN POINT IT DEPENDS ON YOU. I BUDGET $200.00 A WEEK FOR FUEL AND MEALS.BUT USALLY SPEND ABOUT $150.00 OF THAT.HOPE THAT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS.

SantaElfDriver

Expert Expediter
Does Rudolphs nose really light up??

Yes rudolphs nose really lights up! Darker the night the brighter it glows!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!

winemaker3279

Expert Expediter
Yes, fastman1us, that helps! Can you give me an approximate of what you are grossing each month? Also, what size unit do you have? Wait...that didn't come out right!!! That belongs on another forum!! lol!! You must excuse me...I blame my choice of words on extreme sleep deprevation!

The best defense is a good offense...thank GOD I'm offensive!!!

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Winemaker,
I drive a C truck, not a cargo van but speak with as many as I can. I'll give your questions a try.

>1. Has the freight picked up any for cargo vans in the Chicago area?
Most I have talked with consider the Chicago area worth a deadhead to get there.

>2. What companies are you happy or unhappy being with?
You will truly get as many pro as con on this one. I have been with FedEx CC a long time, including the times they get slammed. I'm still there and think they are the best outfit to start, then decide later.

>3. Can I make any money and still be home weekends and a few nights during the week?
No. This ain't that kind of job. If you insist on going home often, you'll be broke soon, as you make the money here by staying out working awhile. While some who live in great areas are able to get home often without losing money, most need to stay out at least until the 2nd weekend to pay bills.

>4. What are the approximate monthly costs of running a cargo van, minus the truck payment?
This is already well answered in another topic.

>5. Is it possible to net 50k plus per year?
Not likely, unless you meant to say gross 50k. The best cargo van I ever talked with said he grossed 75k, but he may have been trying to make me feel bad too. Right now, I would plan on grossing 40k, and smile if Bush's folks actually pull off a jumpstart on this economy.

Vernon

winemaker3279

Expert Expediter
Thanks vernon946! Yes, I did mean 50k net. Might be a dumb question here, but how does anyone out there survive if GROSSING 50k per year? I can make that as a company driver and still have trouble making ends meet sometimes! I realize everyone's lifestyles are different, but when you factor all the expenses of owning your own truck it seems like there really is not much left over. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction here. I was under the impression that being an owner/operator could net more $$$$. I definately could not buy my own vehicle, pay all expenses, and still make ends meet at home. Very disheartening.

The best defense is a good offense...thank GOD I'm offensive!!!