Aversion to Dodges?

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
I see a lot of cargo van owners talking throughout these threads about their vehicles and was wondering something. Why so few Dodges? Most guys and gals here seem to prefer Ford, Chevy, GMC so is there something about the Dodge vans that make them less appealing to haul freight? Or, have I not read enough threads in the past 14 months?:rolleyes:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Door width is insufficient.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dodge does not have a van on the market anymore since about 2001 or so...I had one...has over 1/2 million on it and it was a work horse...but as AMonger said the door opening was like 48 3/4 "...and about 48" high....used it for about 5 yrs...we made over $400K with a van that cost me about $20,000...not too shabby

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Last year for dodge vans was 2003. I have a 2000 with 420,000 and a 2001 with 218,000 and both still run fine. Door width was never a issue for me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last year for dodge vans was 2003. I have a 2000 with 420,000 and a 2001 with 218,000 and both still run fine. Door width was never a issue for me.

the door frame was of bad design...it angled inward and made it a tight fit...the lift operator had to really hit a bullseye...I did a lot of air and AOG shipments back then, just boxes..I worked with it...no problem...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They were good vans, but that welded on rear section to the extended models was pretty funny.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They were good vans, but that welded on rear section to the extended models was pretty funny.

That welded on rear section made it look home-made. Seriously, a high-school auto shop class couldn't have made it look worse.

Ford has an overhanging rear section on their extended vans, but at least it looks professionally done. GM went with a longer wheelbase so you don't have the overhang issues, but it does give you a bit wider turning circle.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Yes it is, they did it because there was already a seam on the van for the rear section unlike the ford and gm vans. My dad had a '72 dodge maxivan and I still have a '73 midsize van, the maxivan was the longest van made up until gm's van of the mid-90's which was a custom order but only a few inches longer if I remember right.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have an 03 1 ton extended Dodge, and the width of the rear doors was never an issue - the problem was the height, because of the latches are mounted top & bottom center - leaves 47" clearance. which isn't really a problem, as the bottom latch was removed [forklift drivers pretty well smashed it flat anyhow, dropping freight on it], making the clearance 48". The top latch secured the door just fine, for the year I used it.
Mine didn't look 'homemade' [well, except for the google eyes, lol] nor did the overhang look like an afterthought - it looked seamless, IMO.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Yes it is, they did it because there was already a seam on the van for the rear section unlike the ford and gm vans. My dad had a '72 dodge maxivan and I still have a '73 midsize van, the maxivan was the longest van made up until gm's van of the mid-90's which was a custom order but only a few inches longer if I remember right.

The 1991 back to 1973 Ford extended also had the seam.

I've owned quite a few of them.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The dodge van's are pretty cool except for the fact that the back door height is a little bit smaller than that of a Chevy or a Ford van. Other than that i've talked with a few guys who run them and they all seem to be quite happy. I myself prefer the Chevy Express vans because I know all of the little things that can go wrong with them and exactly how to deal with it.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
JuJu and I were going almost all the time....team work....
the van was a work horse...solid...

You guys got in the business when it was still rockin. I wish I could have caught the tail end of the days when you could make money out here without even tryin! There was a time you could be as green as a dollar bill and still make money - now is not that time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys got in the business when it was still rockin. I wish I could have caught the tail end of the days when you could make money out here without even tryin! There was a time you could be as green as a dollar bill and still make money - now is not that time.

Absolutely...because I hadn't a clue what we were doing...LOL
it started as a part time gig hauling freight to suppliment my newspaper run at night...no research, no EO....just dove in the deep end...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last year for dodge vans was 2003.
Welcome back Sluggo. Haven't heard from you in a while. Before you buy a Dodge van, make sure the carrier you want to sign with will take on an older van. Many of the big carriers won't sign on a van that old.

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome back Sluggo. Haven't heard from you in a while. Before you buy a Dodge van, make sure the carrier you want to sign with will take on an older van. Many of the big carriers won't sign on a van that old.

Thank you Sir. Went with an '03 gmc and Premium Transportation Logistics approved it already. It's good to be back and I'm finally gonna hit the road it Feb.