authority

keithw

Expert Expediter
I've went through all the post on getting your own authority,but I'm missing alittle bit of info.
I don't want to tie my money up to long before i start running,so I would like to know can you get your own authority before you actually own the truck.Everything on DOT's website tends to make me think the only thing they're worried about is your insurance.So it also make me think that before i get the truck(and the payment)that I can pay for my insurance for a year,wait for my authority then start running.
Also some of the brokers I have spoke to require satellite two way communication.But I'm having problems finding info on qualcomm or any other satellite providers equipment and service cost.
And any other info that I've overlooked would be greatly appreciated.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Hi Keith, welcome to EO. For information on qualcomm services try:
PJ'S Fabricating
1511 Linwood Ave. S.W.
Canton, OH
330-478-2507

Just Killin' Time!!
DD

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Yes you can get it without the van but there is no advantage,if you believe in yourself don't worry about the startup money,there is no cheap way into this.If you have your own authority you don't need the commquail hell just get a cell phone and tell them to call you. Hawk

keithw

Expert Expediter
Thanx for the input.I'm still about 9 months from doing anything.I just don't want to tie up 40-50 grand in a truck a can't run for a few months.
The people I'll be delivering for require satellite 2-way communication.I'm hoping to find a tracking system too(to keep my customer happy)but right now I'm still in the planning and preparing stages,so any input is great

DoubleJ

Expert Expediter
You really shouldn't need to get your own authority if you are running for another carrier. I have my authority sitting in escrow, haven't used it yet.

Good luck!

keithw

Expert Expediter
I won't be running for a carrier,I have some friends that broker for a large logistics firm in Ohio.So I have to set up my own authority.But i don't want to jump right into it without having some insight on expediting,this I'm sure is the first of many post:)