August in Load One Nation

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is Buc ees Straight Truck friendly?
Not for sleeping, but yes. They don't want 18 wheelers on the lot at all, unless they're delivering fuel. They won't allow pickups pulling trailers or campers sleeping there, either. It's like a truckless truck stop. But I've seen bobtails and straight trucks there plenty of times, but shopping, not sleeping.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was there a few months ago diesel was around 60 cents a gallon less than the BP on the other side of the interstate. Impressive place.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm starting to think Turtle may be working for Buc ee's on the side! Ack....a Buc ee's plant in the forum!!

Naaa. I just have Beaver Fever.
ng.jpg

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Been awhile since I have come to this site but had to share the following. First, had a Dynamite sighting the other day as they blew by me ;) Second, first time in a straight truck I "had" to take a 34 hour shut down as I was really low on hours. :) and third, just got word I received the following at home from what I had ordered with my points. Thanks John for making my Honey Do List so much larger. ;)
DCK655X_K1_500X500.jpg

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Been awhile since I have come to this site but had to share the following. First, had a Dynamite sighting the other day as they blew by me ;) Second, first time in a straight truck I "had" to take a 34 hour shut down as I was really low on hours. :) and third, just got word I received the following at home from what I had ordered with my points. Thanks John for making my Honey Do List so much larger. ;)
DCK655X_K1_500X500.jpg

Pretty sweet redemption item there!

Reactions: davekc

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Pretty sweet redemption item there!
It retails for $550 - $600 online and it was only 160,800 points. It took me about 15 months to get the points. Not bad for watching some videos, logging correctly, and answering a question a day. Thanks again John.

Reactions: jelliott

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is Buc ees Straight Truck friendly?

No they are not!!!!! They will tell you that, though you are not a semi, that would like you to shop and leave ASAP. Don't even try in a semi, they will be at the side of your truck before you set the brakes

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not for sleeping, but yes. They don't want 18 wheelers on the lot at all, unless they're delivering fuel. They won't allow pickups pulling trailers or campers sleeping there, either. It's like a truckless truck stop. But I've seen bobtails and straight trucks there plenty of times, but shopping, not sleeping.
No they are not!!!!! They will tell you that, though you are not a semi, that would like you to shop and leave ASAP. Don't even try in a semi, they will be at the side of your truck before you set the brakes
I'm confused.

Reactions: Steady Eddie

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've stop at the 2 on 35 and the one on 45, always had a problem. After that i don't even try any longer. Others may not of had the same experience as I have.
Just my two cents worth

Good morning from Jackson MS
I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. It might be helpful if you define and expand what you mean by "stop" and what you mean by "problem."

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. It might be helpful if you define and expand what you mean by "stop" and what you mean by "problem."

I think we all know what "stop " means, if not I'll explain I pulled into their parking lot and pick a spot where I could exit my straight truck and walk into the building, with out blocking or disrupting the flow of traffic.

As to problems, on my first visit as I enter the south doors the cashier asked if that was my truck in the parking lot. I told her yes, she inform me that they didn't allow semi and I needed to leave. After explaining that I was a straight truck, the young lady said she would have check with management. As I was leaving she told me next I was back they would have me towed.

On the second visit to a different store I came out to find a assistant manager by the truck. He informed me that they have a no semi policy. Once again I said it was a straight truck, he said it looks like a semi to me. I left.

On the last attempt, as I fallow a JB Hunt truck into the parking lot, a golf cart came over and wave and with hand signal that were easy to understand and show both of us off the property.

After that I've decided that they don't have anything that I need bad enough to deal with all that horses***

Hope that makes it easier to understand

Rick007

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Day 4: New Braunfels, Tx. Still no word from Taylor base. Our future looks bleak, lost and forgotten in this barren wasteland. May at some point today make some cardboard signs that say "will work for freight" and stand out on the highway exit......

Rick007

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Is that Central Time Zone?

Yeah, Central Time Zone. It's now 2:23pm and another day shot.....

Patience is wearing a bit thin. It just seems to me that there is less freight these day's then there was before July 1st's merger.

Spent a couple of weeks on our last outting where the number of 34hr resets equalled the # of loads that got booked. Yeah we get offers, sometimes anywhere from 6 to a dozen or more before a booking is confirmed.

If I were an owner of a baseball team and saw daily that percentage of the players sent to the plate for only a single infield hit or even a sales manager looking at offer to close ratios.....I'd be looking into it hard!

Forget about endorsments like Hazmat ect. Either there isn't the knowledge on how to book them or the bother to.....I say that because we've gotten multiple calls on bids to California and 3215's dispatch truck profile states we can't go due to being a non def unit. So it's not being read or utilized correctly in lineing up offers.

Team truck with both drivers eager and willing to burn large #'s of miles, haz and tnkr endorsments with a lift gate...........we should be rolling and making money for the boss.

Anyway I'm done venting and will go back to doing nothing.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's all about price down texas way until the right customer calls. Hardly any straight trucks were added from the merger so you guys will see the benifits faster than vans.

Reactions: jelliott

Rick007

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
It's all about price down texas way until the right customer calls. Hardly any straight trucks were added from the merger so you guys will see the benifits faster than vans.

Yeah I get what your saying my friend. I know how it works, this isnt my 1st rodeo but your comment is appreciated.

I was also under the impression that we had a sales team that called our customers and that Nations had the same with the nearest being Tenn. So it souldn't strictly be up to waiting on a call... Sometimes you just gotta make things happen!

It's not like we came down here on our own to see the sights....

As far has straight trucks seeing the benefits of the merger 1st, obviously we're still waiting on them too.

Drive safe amigo!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Market is being affected by price. Freight is a little slower than expected and the number of trucks available has a whole throughout all carriers has increased. Therefor carriers are bidding lowball numbers for loads that we just don't do and can't do since we are a % carrier. Most all the rest are flat rate carriers on a flat rate FSC so they are making money on everything and can afford to bid a load at a loss and still pay there rate to there trucks. Our profile is not like that. !!!!!

Rick007

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Market is being affected by price. Freight is a little slower than expected and the number of trucks available has a whole throughout all carriers has increased. Therefor carriers are bidding lowball numbers for loads that we just don't do and can't do since we are a % carrier. Most all the rest are flat rate carriers on a flat rate FSC so they are making money on everything and can afford to bid a load at a loss and still pay there rate to there trucks. Our profile is not like that. !!!!!

Again thank you for the comment. I fully understand everything your pointing out. Sometimes we have to endure a wait, "it is what it is."

However at what point does simple understanding of how the industry works and our profile in it affect our patience and attitudes?

Your a o/o and you know what each of your trucks needs to do weekly to make your nut, not to mention your drivers needs. When reasonable patience and understanding is met with inaction....something has to give.

We've asked twice now for an authorized move and told the first time after being patient and reasonable for 3 days, that NO dispatch felt they had a better chance of getting us out today. Well they haven't! Now the 2nd request we just made for an authorized move is met with indecisivness "there's. No one there to auth it.

So at what point does the company that sent you here consider this a situation in distress? Is it 5 days or more or over a week? Is there even any policy for this contingency in that understanding of our profile and mission you mention?

Were is the "share the pain, share the gain?"

So we will now move at our own expense and have to flip the coin again with getting a load out of here.

Anyway like they say "you can't beat a dead horse,"

Thanks again for the feedback

Rick