ATM RIPOFF at the Flying J in Grand Ledge, MI

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Wednesday night I stopped at the Flying J in Grand Ledge, MI and tried to get $300 from the #1 ATM machine. It spent some time "communicating" and then displayed a "transaction denied" message. When I tried again, the terminal indicated that I was "over daily withdrawal limit". I called my bank and they said that the withdrawal showed up and that I should try to contact the ATM bank, which was only identified by 4 initials. The representative of that "bank" said she saw that I didn't actually get any money but she "would not contact my bank to remedy the situation". She said I had to go to my bank and fill out a claim form and only then (someday uncertain) could I get my money back. The manager at the Flying J said, "It's not our ATM so I can't do anything for you."

At least I didn't absolutely have to have the cash (to recharge my heart/lung machine or something else important) so I'll live through it but FAIR WARNING -THE ATM AT THE GRAND LEDGE FLYING J MAY RIP YOU OFF AND, IF ANY ATM DOES, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE UNTIL ANY REFUND MAY BE GIVEN!!!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Wednesday night I stopped at the Flying J in Grand Ledge, MI and tried to get $300 from the #1 ATM machine. It spent some time "communicating" and then displayed a "transaction denied" message. When I tried again, the terminal indicated that I was "over daily withdrawal limit". I called my bank and they said that the withdrawal showed up and that I should try to contact the ATM bank, which was only identified by 4 initials. The representative of that "bank" said she saw that I didn't actually get any money but she "would not contact my bank to remedy the situation". She said I had to go to my bank and fill out a claim form and only then (someday uncertain) could I get my money back. The manager at the Flying J said, "It's not our ATM so I can't do anything for you."

At least I didn't absolutely have to have the cash (to recharge my heart/lung machine or something else important) so I'll live through it but FAIR WARNING -THE ATM AT THE GRAND LEDGE FLYING J MAY RIP YOU OFF AND, IF ANY ATM DOES, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE UNTIL ANY REFUND MAY BE GIVEN!!!

Dont know why your bank told you what they did. Those errors are always corrected by YOUR bank. When it happened to me, there were no forms to fill out, just a couple phone calls. If your bank can't do this, you're with the wrong bank.

Give your bank the heave-ho and join a credit union.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happened to me once and it showed back in my account the next morning. Someones passing the buck to bad it is your buck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Another reason to look into Natso's Check-Link program. I haven't used an ATM in 15 years !

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't do ATMs very often, but occasionally. I usually get "cash back" at Walmart, Autozone or Walgrees or CVS. When I do ATMs, I prefer my own bank's ATM, or Sheetz or Wawa convenience stores (no fee ATM), in that order.

Sheetz also has an awesome meatball sub. :D

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
wawa is one of best atm free
where some of others just want to steel your money

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I'll use a "foreign" ATM if all i want is $20 , anything more then that, i only use the bank system i do my banking with....And yes most all of Sheetz's sandwiches are good...

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I too usually just get cash back at walmart, seems I always need something from there and there is no fee as there is with atm's. also if you belong to a credit union and they are in this credit union co-op, any other credit unions that belong to the co-op in the country have no fee's.

Also at Walmart to get cash back it has to be with a debit card not a charge card. I believe thats the same at all places that let you get cash back.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I'll use a "foreign" ATM if all i want is $20 , anything more then that, i only use the bank system i do my banking with....And yes most all of Sheetz's sandwiches are good...

That sounds backwards. If you're going to use a foreign ATM and incur a charge, you'd want the highest amount you can get, so the fee is less expensive as a percentage.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I filed the appropriate claim at my bank yesterday. Apparently they will give me a "temporary credit" in a few days while the claim goes through whatever snailmaze it has to in order to be validated. Hopefully this turns out ok (except the original lack of funds anyway).