Are you ready for Winter?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
With Winter here in some states, are you and your truck/van ready for Winter? I hope everyone has replaced belts on their truck/van so your not on the side of the road broke down in the cold. They are saying this Winter is going to be a bad one. If it is, look for Expediting to busy.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
With Winter here in some states, are you and your truck/van ready for Winter? They are saying this Winter is going to be a bad one. If it is, look for Expediting to busy.

Got my new steer tires,,new front shocks,,fresh service on the truck,,and my old military down filled mummy sleeping bag out,slept in it last night and didn't use a drop of fuel :D

I still gotta get that spare fan belt tho,Thanks for the reminder.

I hope it gets busy but I kinda dont see that happening,,it actually has gone down hill for me the last 2 months :(

Last edited:

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
How often should one replace belts? Also how does the weather affect expedting in the context of cold weather?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
How often should one replace belts? Also how does the weather affect expedting in the context of cold weather?[/QUOTE

My guess would be only a visual inspection would tell ya that,,cracks,,fraying,,,condition of your pulleys,,tension,etc etc.
In this line of work where ya are depending on your belts so much,,,Im going with by the end of 3 years service.which is appoaching fast and altho my belt looks real good right now,,,its coming off and going in the tool box for a back-up. I really dont know if there is a set milage or time periord for a belt????

As for the weather,,,,well it effects me because if its looking real bad,,,Im not acceppting the load offer untill it blows thru :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WE BE READY!! Man, I should NOT have said that!! NOW the truck is REALLY going to bite me!! :eek:

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
I figured the turn down factor was what you were getting at. My belts look good, sounds like a good reason to change them.
Hey OVM don't you mean what is summer?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
like willie dixon said......i'm ready for you....i hope your ready for me.

new wiper blades, new coolant, fresh battery. maybe some slush busters next. would like the heated hundred dolla wipers....maybe next winter. tires later this month.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I stuck some winter blades on this past week (had 'em from last year) ... still need to pickup some of that good windshield washer fluid (good to -50F I think) from Canadian Tire next time I'm up in the Great White North ...... probably gonna hafta stick a new starting battery in before winter is over ....

I replaced the original serpentine belt at 123K - it was cracked but hadn't broken .... the replacement broke at 200K ...... hmmm .... 40K less life .... mebbe it will be the last Conti belt I use :rolleyes:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ready?????????????

I Always Ready no matter What !!!!

Must be a fare weather Driver. You dont drive one of those big house Trucks do ya.

Like the ones on Southern Pride ect. ROTFLMAO

Now Now dont get up set Im Teasing ya!!!!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"With Winter here in some states..."

In all states, heck, the entire Norther Hemisphere for that matter, Winter doesn't arrive in 2009 until December 21 at 12:47PM EST, the precise time of the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year in terms of visible sunlight.

In 2010 it'll be 12/21 @ 6:38PM EST
in 2011 it'll be 12/22 @ 12:30AM EST
In 2012 it'll be 12/21 @ 6:11AM EST <--- the day the world will end :eek:
In 2013 it'll be 12/21 @ 12:11PM EST
In 2014 it'll be 12/21 @ 18:03PM EST

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Since winter is really coming to Wi. this week I will share this with you all.

Its winter in wisconsin
And the gentle breezes blow about 50 miles an hour
at 25 below.
It snows up to your butt,You take a deep breath of winter air and your nose gets frozen shut.As the weather here is so Wonderful.I guess I will hang around.I could never leave Wisconsin.Because i am frozen to the Friggin Ground.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since winter is really coming to Wi. this week I will share this with you all.

And a Wisconsin hiker with a cue-ball head
He's wishing he was home in a Wisconsin bed
But there's fifteen feet of snow in the east
Colder than a well digger's asp
And it's colder than a well digger's asp

Tom Waits (for no man)

guido4475

Not a Member
I pretty much went over everything, checking it all out, the only thing I need to get is a new set of deep-lug snow tires for the rear.