Are You Enjoying Your Sprinter ?

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
I've got an '07, 2500, 40,000 miles, and am pleased for the most part. I don't like the high price of oil changes, but I've been doing them at dealerships and I'm going to change that next time I service it. I'm switching to Delvac 1, and at appx $30 a gallon, its cheaper than what I've had to pay at dodge. Filters are cheaper (a lot!) if you order them online, check the yahoo sprinter group or pm me for a link.

I had a problem around 30,000 with the retainer flange that holds the fuel pump in the fuel tank. It split and the new one wouldn't fit on the tank properly, Dealer ended up replacing the fuel tank and it cost me a week in down time.

Yesterday I noticed a weird 'howl' around 20 mph. I thought it might be some sort of driveline carrier bearing, crawled under and looked around, couldn't see anything wrong. Then when I drove it out of the lot everything sounded fine. Maybe it was just 'whining' about the rain down here in Evansville.

I really like the space, height and fuel mileage. Plenty of power. The van seems to be thoughtfully designed, and comfortable to drive. I do want to put an espar heater in it and maybe even some sort of espar type block heater. Might be a while, though. When I checked on espar heater and aux battery, it was to the tune of $2700 for the bigger espar.

I'm also thinking of adding some overload springs and I want to put a set of Michelin LTX mud and snows on. I'm not at all pleased with the continentals. I've also heard that Koni shocks and heavy duty rear stabalizer makes a big difference in handling -- don't know if its the same with the '07, though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On the oil, make absolutely sure that the oil you use in on the MB Approved Oils List. Always stick to the list! It's best to use the same oil that the initial fill was done with (Mobile 1 0W-40). Not good to change oils, but do as you wish.

On the Espar, $1900 and change, installed, for the Airtronic 4 is all you should be paying (Esapr of Michigan, Romulus). ALso, talk with RLENT and see how his Airtronic 2 id doing. I have the 4, and it's what I recommend, but the 2 is $500 cheaper.

You don't need a high end AGM battery for the Espar. A $65 Wal Mart "marine" battery at 125 amp hours will do fine. The Espar draws very few amps over the course of a 24 hour period. 50 amp hours at the most.

If you need more amp hours in the battery to run other stuff, and want AGM batteries, you're gonna run into problems with the Sprinter because the alternator's regular won't put out enough volts to keep AGM batteries properly charged. The battery will be chronically undercharged and will dramatically shorten its lifespan. Whatever battery they quoted you, find out exactly what the charging requirements are for that battery, then check the voltage output of the alternator, and you'll discover that the alternator will come up short.

Best alternative for AGM batteries is a second alternator with an external, programmable, regulator, programmed for AGM batteries. The 07 and later Sprinters already have the mounting holes under the oil pan for the second alternator.

The weird howl at 20 MPH may be the thing where the perfect combination of 20 MPH and 2000 RPM's cause that goofy vibration thang. It's nothing to worry about.

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle, I may be wrong, and will check, but I think the delvac 1 is basically the same as mobil 1, just re-labeled. I've had two dealers tell me there's a service bulletin out saying you have to use 'low ash' synthetic in the '07 Sprinters and its around $12 bucks a liter. I haven't seen the service bulletin, though.

On the espar, I read your very informative post on reasons to use the bigger model, and there's a chance I could end up in Alaska at some future point. The $2700 figure was what the guy in Romulus, MI quoted me to put in the espar and a 'proper' auxilary battery. I've found some cheaper ones on ebay, but haven't decided that's a way I'd want to go.

I also tried to access the photos you posted on the shelving in your sprinter, but either there was a problem with the server or else I my connection was too slow..

I think you're right on the noise, probably just a normal thing.

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle, one other question. Do you still get the windows fogging up with the espar heater? I'm using a small propane heater that I got at gander mountain and it does a great job of fogging them up.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Yes.

Propane heaters tend to fog windows.

My friend has an Espar and he experiences fogging as well.

What's really wild is that frost will form behind the foil sun shade when it's really cold outside.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, I may be wrong, and will check, but I think the delvac 1 is basically the same as mobil 1, just re-labeled.

You're right, you're wrong. hehe Sort of.

The Delvac is the same exact oil as the Mobile 1 5W-40. But of course, all 5W-40 oils are not created equal.

The Sprinter is European, so quit thinking American. In America, oil is oil, for the most part. For example, any 5W-40 oil is gonna work in an American engine if the engine calls for that oil. Not so in a European engine. In Europe, the oil is uber tightly spec'd to the engines. If it's not on the list, don't use it. For an '07, somewhere on the oil container it should say "MB Spec 229.51" or MB 229.51" or something to that effect.

I've had two dealers tell me there's a service bulletin out saying you have to use 'low ash' synthetic in the '07 Sprinters and its around $12 bucks a liter. I haven't seen the service bulletin, though.
Dom't know about the price, but the low ash part is right. Actually, the 05's and later require low ash oils, and the 07 has some additional ESP (Emission System Protection) requirements. That's why a lot of the approved oils for the 07 have ESP in the name, like "Mobile 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40" (which is one of the approved oils). Check the back of the owner's manual for a list of approved oils. Stick to the list.

If the oils on the list aren't readily available at auto parts stores or someplace like Wal Mart (I know when the 07's first came out, Mobil stated flatly that the demand for it was so small that no one was ordering at the retail level, so the only place to find it was at dealers), then check other dealers, Mercedes dealers, and regular Dodge dealers that aren't Sprinter dealers. For example, the transmission fluid from my Sprinter dealer is $20 a liter, but from the regular Dodge dealer it's $15 a liter. The Crossfire and the Sprinter share the same torque converter, and as such share the same transmission fluid, so non-Sprinter dealers will carry it. You can buy it online for $12 a liter, and sometimes can get a good deal off eBay for about $8 a liter. The engine oils may be the same way, especially at Mercedes dealers, as I know several 07 Mercedes cars use the same oil.

On the espar, I read your very informative post on reasons to use the bigger model, and there's a chance I could end up in Alaska at some future point.
Good to know my writings are good for something. hehe I highly recommend the larger Espar, for all those reasons.

The $2700 figure was what the guy in Romulus, MI quoted me to put in the espar and a 'proper' auxilary battery. I've found some cheaper ones on ebay, but haven't decided that's a way I'd want to go.
That would be Ray. Great guy. Scatterbrained at times, because he's so busy, but he's really and truly one of the good guys. Even if he's overpriced (IMHO) on some things, he will, absolutely, treat you right. The price he quoted you is with an $800 battery. It's a very high end Discover Energy AGM battery, one that I high recommend. Well, I highly recommend those batteries provided your charging system is configured to properly charge them, and the Sprinter's charging system is in dramatic conflict with the requirements of an AGM battery. If I could figure out a way to get them charged, I'd have half a van full of those batteries. But if you're going to pay that much for a battery, it should last the expected 7-10 years, and without a way to properly charge it, it won't last more than 2 or 3.

I also tried to access the photos you posted on the shelving in your sprinter, but either there was a problem with the server or else I my connection was too slow..
It's probably the server. It's one of the reasons I don't use Shareavenue anymore. Not reliable enough. One of these days I'll re-upload those to Photobucket, or maybe to the gallery here might be even better.

I think you're right on the noise, probably just a normal thing.
I know that 20MPH - 2000 RPM thing is common with all '06 and earlier models. But the 07 if different enough that I'm not sure. Depends on how alike the transmission and a few other things under there are. If you can repeat it at 20 MPH and 2000 RPM, there ya go.

One final thing - Always stick to the list!
36_11_7.gif

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I have an 05 with 250,00 miles on it. I've had my problems but I like it. Breakdowns can be very inconvenient because most dealers have only one Sprinter tech, so you have to wait in line. I love the standing headroom and it's quiet for a van. It wanders a little bit and the wind can make it a challenge as well. Despite the negatives, I like it quite a lot.

whitewolfteam04

Expert Expediter
On my 2006 Sprinter,189,000 mi. and its been flawless,runs great.It will cruise on 70(actually 67) all day.The driver seat adjustments are very handy.Rocks seem to be attracted to my windshield!Several chips and ricochets!Mobil-1 synth.Sirius in dash radio(a must).You can use a 18 wheeler cab curtain,just hook it on the little plastic thing behind the seat belt on the wall,and then stretch it around your visors,then push your visors up,works like a charm. GOD is my driver-Eternity is my destination!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quote.."It will cruise on 70(actually 67) "

I wonder if they fixed that in the 07's?

My windsheild looks like a road map with chips and cracks...

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
YA MY BUDDY HAS A 07 HE SAID HIS SPEEDO WAS OFF ALSO, yesterday he paid 38.00 for the oild filter at a dealer. ours are 9.00 a whole lot cheaper, he gets 19 mpg instead of the 22-24 mpg that we get,

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
I have owned a 03 spinter, rearend and tranny went out at 141,000 miles, an 04 sprinter that went pretty much trouble free for 170,000, and an 04 3500 sprinter chassy with a 14 ft. box that had the rack and pinion go out at 48,000 miles. Overall very dissappointed in van for the price. My next van was a 06 chevy 2500 diesel and loved it in every aspect and still got 20-22mpg.

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
I have an '07 2500 170 Hi top. Bought it with 120K on it and now has 270. Been very pleased with it, and it's very comfortable for a 6 footer like me and my 100lb yellow Lab. I'm an outlaw, with my Mr. Buddy lpg heater mounted on the driver's side wall and the tank under my futon frame. Includes 2 separate c/m sensors so I can sleep without worry of going to Heaven or Hell too early. No mechanical pblms so far, but wondering if I shouldn't start looking for a trade to a lower mileage unit? I've been pretty faithful with maintenance - oil & filter changes every 10K, and I use Diesel Kleen with every fill up to keep the injectors happy. I put on around 75K/year, and E1 doesn't like anything in their fleet over 5 yrs old anyway. Really don't like the '08/09 prices 'tho - I use the bank's money, and higher monthly payments just mean I have to do more loads before my breakeven point. Maybe I'll just keep the '07 and keep a stash aside in case it decides to puke??

Jim

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We have a 2006 3500 with 320,000 miles and it's been great to us. Replaced an EGR valve and a belt idler but still the original engine, tranny, & Rear end, probably because we change fluids properly and drive it like it has eggs on the pedals. We get between 20 and 23 MPG depending on the load & terrain. We doubt anything else could have come close.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
my 2011 sprinter bought in feb just turn 48,000 miles and will hit 50,000 in less than 2 weeks running great
tysinger motors in hampton va carries the oil i like in stock
i don't use mobil 1, use oil made special for my van called quantan blue

as far as i know there not going to stop making 2500 sprinter
as i sale them, need one send me e mail

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I have a 2011 170"wb ext. cargo with 26,000 miles on it. I like it very much except for two things. One, my fuel mileage is less than I thought it would be. I am getting between 15 and 18 mpg depending on conditions. Two, my front left tire is feathering on the outside of the tread. I have had a wheel alignment done twice but there has been no change. I have ruined 4 tires so far by rotating them. Mercedes has done nothing about this claiming there is nothing wrong with the van. They claim it is the way I drive.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have a 2011 170"wb ext. cargo with 26,000 miles on it. I like it very much except for two things. One, my fuel mileage is less than I thought it would be. I am getting between 15 and 18 mpg depending on conditions. Two, my front left tire is feathering on the outside of the tread. I have had a wheel alignment done twice but there has been no change. I have ruined 4 tires so far by rotating them. Mercedes has done nothing about this claiming there is nothing wrong with the van. They claim it is the way I drive.

Marty,
If you want to get better fuel mileage you really need to slow down. You can't race these things and expect good mileage. 15 is way too low.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Marty..first of all 15-18 is unacceptable....You are fired!..;)

You should be in the 18-21 range...

Wheel alignments...I've had a total of 1....in over 664,000 miles....and that is only because I changed out ball joints...

Next...tires Continentals OEM are crap to begin with....
What tire pressure you running at?

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I agree 15 to 18 mpg is unacceptable. I'm getting 15 t0 16 at 70mph. 18 at 60mph. I don't like to drive under 60 mph on an Interstate highway.
Mercedes can't find anything wrong and tells me that mpg is not guaranteed.