Are You Enjoying Your Sprinter ?

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
How do you rate this cargo van and why?
Let me know your opinion on driving,confort,maintnence and if any of you got major problems transmission,engine,rear end, plus the miles and year of your MERCEDES SPRINTER.
Thank you.

vipra

Expert Expediter
My '04 Sprinter is wonderful- it has 320K miles and rarely has problems. Just do the required maintenance on time and use synthetic oil. It's only had one major problem- it needed a new tranny and torque converter at 250K miles, but it's unusual for that to be done. The interior space is great- I'm 6 ft tall and I can stand up in it. I have a twin-size mattress that hangs on chains in the back, so I don't have to sleep on a cot. I get 23 mpg. Get an Espar Airtronic 2 heater so you don't have to idle in the winter. Put an Optima Yellowtop battery under the passenger seat to power your accessories while parked.
I expect to get a million miles out of it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Since you can get an aux battery in that location from the manufacturer as an option, yes it can be done safely - there's no way an mfg. would offer it if it posed a significant hazard.

Most vehicles are so drafty, air-wise, that having hydrogen accumulate to a such degree that it would be explosive is pretty unlikely - unless the battery or batteries are in a totally sealed compartment.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, it can be done safely, but the key is the type of battery you put under there. It has to be a sealed, maintenance-free battery. And because of the space limitations under the seat, most batteries will have to be placed on their side, which pretty much dictates an AGM battery, and an Optima is exactly that (albeit a sponge hybrid and not a true deep cycle battery).

Do keep in mind that an Optima, Yellow or otherwise, is an AGM battery and thus requires the charging regimen of an AGM battery, and the Sprinter's alternator absolutely will not output the proper voltage to keep an AGM properly charged. An AGM connected to the Sprinter's charging system will be subjected to chronic undercharging, and will reduce the lifespan of an otherwise properly charged (and not too deeply discharged) AGM battery (Optima, Concord, Discover Energy, all of them) to perhaps 2-3 years rather than about 8 years (5-8, 6-10, depending).

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
55k on an 07 sprinter that I started running in March 07. I like being about to stand up and walk around in the vehicle. Forklift drivers like the tall, wide doors.

If it's a plastic snap-on part, it's going to fall off. I have seven parts that have either fallen off or no longer stay fasten. Under seat access covers, fender molding, rear reflector, air intake louver...knit-knoid stuff, but whoever heard of disposable access covers.

Loose battery cable on delivery wasn't apparent until stranded two days later. Service technician said all the loose stuff is because the vehicle is built twice--once in Germany and again in US--to avoid tarriffs.

In November (50k) stranded for a week waiting for a back ordered engine sensor. By the time I made it into the dealership vehicle was shutting down every ten miles. The part was national back order, so basically the part didn't exist.

December, a power steering leak. Dealership couldn't find the leak. I ended up finding a loose clamp on a hydraulic line.

The verdict is still out. But it sure does run nice and smooth when it's on the road. And it is nice to stand up inside the vehicle. I guess I said that already.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was sitting with another van driver once and he used to work at a Mercedes dealer..he said nearly everything snaps on...he showed me how to "message" the door panels to disassemble them there's only 2 screws and you can get to the window tracks very easily. It's like a jigsaw..just find the beginning and work backwards. not those little steel clips that rust and break off, just snap-on.
At 256,000 miles my sprinter 2500 158" wheelbase hightop has performed flawlessly. Just a fan belt ($32.00)and the usually PM. Still original brakes. and between 22-24 mpg.
Keep in mind it's a Dodge now and things break or get loose and rattle. Just get a set of 5 or 6 star driver set and tighten whatever you can up when your bored.

It's mind over matter...If ya don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
yep 266,000 miles on 05 sprinter, besides normal fluid changes and tires, ive replaced front rotors and breaks,at 260,000 miles, and changed the serpentine belt 2 times as a preventive maintenance...so far running great,

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Just rolled 72K on our 2006 Sprinter.

Had a engine sensor go bad around 1000 miles - it was either the Air Intake Temperature Sensor or the Mass Airflow Sensor .... don't recall - replaced under warranty. The rack and pinion unit developed a leak somewhere under 4500 miles. It may have happened as a result of me executing a sharp turn (steering wheel lock) in a cul-de-sac where one of my front tires caught the curb - replaced under warranty.

Other than that I just do normal maintainence - change the oil according to the ASSYST System - which usually turns out to be every 13K to 15K miles. Change the oil filter in the middle of each oil change at around 7500 miles. Run nothing but Mobil 1 0w40 oil. Changed the fuel filter once at 35K. Still on the original air filter - the restriction gauge shows no restriction. Serpentine belt looks fine - no cracking or checking. Original tires are at 7/32nd's. Changed out the tranny fluid and filter at 60K.

Other than that had a few light bulbs go bad - been thru 3 headlamp bulbs ...... but I run with them on all the time. No problems with any loose plastic panels, cargo lights' etc.

I'm with vipra - sure be nice to get a million miles out of it. :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard a nasty rumour todsy that the 2007 will be the last year for single axle Sprinters ...This I'll have to start doing some checking around!! It doesn't make sense.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I heard a nasty rumour todsy that the 2007 will be the last year for single axle Sprinters ...This I'll have to start doing some checking around!! It doesn't make sense.

What? WHeRe did you get this from?

I don't think that they would sacrifice the van market while Ford is trying to figure out if they will have the transport hit this market before 2022.

I don't even think that the Vario (MBs heavy duty van) will be getting another axle any time soon. They have been producing the same platform (not technology platform) for a very long time and their primary market is still Europe.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Hey Ken,

Are ya off the meds again .... or back on them ?

Kinda hard to imagine that they would killing off SINGLE (Rear ?) AXLE Sprinters when they don't even have a unit with tandem rears .........

You weren't by chance referring to single rear wheels vs. duals were ya ?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think he heard that Dodge will be importing the Unimog which will be replacing the sprinter for the NA market. Something to do with global warming and all the flooding that is supposed to take place in the next few years. :eek:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Excellent News !!! The 'Mogs are a-comin !

I think I'll order mine with PTO and the optional boom-mounted brushhog .... that way I'll be able to keep the fence lines clear when I'm OOS and at home .... :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Ken,

Are ya off the meds again .... or back on them ?

Kinda hard to imagine that they would killing off SINGLE (Rear ?) AXLE Sprinters when they don't even have a unit with tandem rears .........

You weren't by chance referring to single rear wheels vs. duals were ya ?

Yeah was meaning single wheel from dual not axle SORRY my meds were clouding my mind...*L*

I was sitting with this guy who just got his 07 from the dealer and thats what he said the salesmen told him....The salesperson might have been blowwing smoke up his butt just for the sale...

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
264923 miles and my srs light on dash is lit up like a x-mas tree..its the airbag light oh well, at the rate i am going with bolt-express my van should hit the 1,000,000 mile mark in about 20-25 years.. lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
hondaking said "at the rate i am going with bolt-express my van should hit the 1,000,000 mile mark in about 20-25 years.. lol"

On a down swing there???*L* Isn't Dhall over there with ya?

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
ya its a big downslide miles wise....the grass is never greener,,,,dont no if the one u mentioned is with bolt or not, what gives with all the new sprinters on with express??? see a ton of them at the flying j around the country, are they doing a lease to own program or something?????

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just my opinion...with your experience I really think you woulda done better at E-1...It's just a feeling and not written in stone. And you know what they say about opinions....