Are sprinters worth the time financially?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The one thing that I think is a very big negative is the resale value on the used Sprinter.

I mean I run across '03 to '05 for as much as $30,000 and sometimes with 200K plus on them. For a '03 with any amount of miles on them, it should be in the teens topping out just below $20k if there are good records. And I am not just talking about 2500 SHC but 1500 regular old vans.

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Exactly Greg and that’s why IM turning to those of you who have experience in expediting I want to make sure that potential income will be able to take on what IM seeing the cost of a sprinter is at this point so far it sounds like from the feedback that IM getting that the potential is there and depends on what comforts you want while out on the road.....

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i bought my 07, and traded in my 03 with 163,000 miles on it got 18,500 for it though that was a good deal as i paid it off 2 1/2 years early

new van was 39,000 even and with the tax to also a lease call a track lease from dodge business link

wanted maintance include in payment but when i told them how many miles in year they said to many miles for that lease, as they firgure on only one or two oil changes a year not five or six so track lease is for 48 month

with set up i have with the rollers able to put 4 1/2 pallets in
and i think it is worth the price

G

let see in about 6 mths after you'll need a new transmission and injectors :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've talked with a few sprinters owners as well especially the younger ones...they took finacing over 6 years and nothing down....bad move is my thinking. We took 48 months and a down payment...hopefully it'll be paid off before the BIG repairs come.234,000 and counting NO problems...I like Honda keep it abour 65-68 mph and NO overloading!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Ok, since you are inquiring about those three carriers in particular I'll give you my opinion based upon personal experience with one and numerous input from drivers on the others.

Landstar - Ok, you'll do better with a Super B Unit there. That is a cutaway with a sealed cargo box mounted to the chassis. They have strict rules about Hazmat. Very uncomfortable sleeping on the front seats. Teams are a little better. Lots of deadhead miles! Good rates, but offset by excessive deadhead miles.

FedEx - Lots of deadhead miles. Teams do much better. Lots of sitting, Landstar too!

Panther - Too may units. Lots of deadheading. Rates are lower that most in the industry. I had a van driver come over to my carrier from Panther, his books show a $3,000 increase in revenue during his first 13 weeks.

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Dhall you confirm a lot of things that I have been told thusfar about 2 of the carriers I have been researching but again you men and women are the ones out there now and can give first hand knowledge really appreciate it!

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Ontario that’s some good miles 234 and counting and no major repairs so let me ask you about how many miles could a b unit expect to run a week knowing that everything hinges on the freight and load acceptance. And I see that your home is in South Dakota? How do you work that? With a lot of the freight being in the Midwest and northeast, the reason I ask is because there was mention how companies say all 48 but if you mention moving to AZ or anywhere like that its almost like a deal killer.

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Chrysler Credit has the same $0 down as any other auto manufacturer. I bought an '07 Sprinter and financed it for 6.99% for 60 months. I think its a good deal, I'd rather leave my down payment in investments that are giving me a good rate of return, instead of sharing it with a finance company.

It also seems like its getting harder and harder to lease on a regular van with a carrier, leastways one that will keep you busy. It appears the industry is rapidly moving toward Sprinter fleets. I've got a buddy with a 2003 Ford 350 extended van and he's locked in with Panther, even though he'd prefer to change companies.

I have no complaints about my van (well, other than high maintainence costs), its comfortable and as much time as I spend in it, I appreciate the design differences, quality and extra height. As well I should for those extra bucks spent :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>Ontario that’s some good miles 234 and counting and no
>major repairs so let me ask you about how many miles could a
>b unit expect to run a week knowing that everything hinges
>on the freight and load acceptance. And I see that your home
>is in South Dakota? How do you work that? With a lot of the
>freight being in the Midwest and northeast, the reason I ask
>is because there was mention how companies say all 48 but if
>you mention moving to AZ or anywhere like that its almost
>like a deal killer.

Miles? Depends on YOU and your Carrier.

If we get to Iowa or Minnisota...we deadhead..we live in NW South Dakota so we are about 8 hours from Fargo or 8 hours from Soiux Falls.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My Sprinter is pretty much my home, so it's set up to live in for weeks or months at a time. It's a freight-capable RV, basically. In that light, it's a worthwhile investment. I can stand up when I want, go to sleep when I want. I have 9 feet for cargo and the rest is living space. Maintenance turned out to be far easier and cheaper than expected, and repairs aren't that big a deal, either (not that there have been very many). It gets great fuel mileage, and chicks dig it.

Would I recommend a Sprinter to someone just getting into expediting?

Nope.

It's far too much money to invest into something that you don't know if you'll like or not. You keep asking how many miles a week, how much time between loads, stuff like that. How are you gonna handle sitting in one spot for a day, two day, three days over a weekend? How are you gonna like running a 500 miles run, sleeping a few hours, and then getting a 300 mile run, sleep a few more and get another 500 mile run? How are you gonna like getting a 200 mile run and then sitting for a day, and then getting another 200 mile run, and then sitting a day, and then getting another 200 mile run? How are you at your sleep management?

Unless you know the answers already, the cost of a Sprinter is far too high to invest in a trial and error experiment.

You're far better off taking 5 or 10 grand, in cash, and getting a good used Ford E-350 (or something, but a used E-350 is what I did), then take it to a mechanic you trust and get the thing in tip top mechanical condition, spend a few grand if you need to, better now than later. Then, make sure you have about $5,000 in the bank before you even sign on with a carrier. That's after you have bought the van and had the mechanic go over it. You'll need that money for emergencies, for things you find that you need to do to the van to make it more livable, for things that crop up that you never even thought about.

Don't start this job without money in the bank. I'm serious. Like almost everyone else, you'll be right back out of this business within 90 days if you don't have the money in the bank.

Then, experiment with the used van. The already bought and paid for with no monthly payments van. You'll learn what to do and what not to do with insulating it, heating and cooling it, and what you want out of a bunk. Learn how to deal with the waiting, sleep management, living on the road, how long you can stand to be away from home, everything about expediting life.

It's much easier to make a short term mistake in a used van and then correct it in a new van a year or so down the road than it is to screw up with a $40,000 mistake.

All the while you are putting money in the bank as a down payment on your new van and for upgrading and outfitting it the way you want. All the while you are making a mental list of what you want to do different with the new van, how to do the bunk, how to do the insulation, what you want to use to heat it, inverter and batteries, how big an inverter and how many batteries, generator and rooftop AC, everything. And all the while you'll be able to take a peek inside the fascinating and sometimes truly awe inspiring (both good and OMG! bad) insides of other vans to get even more ideas of what to do, what not to do, and how you definitely do not want to live. hehe

You'll also be making notes on your carrier, and whether you want to stay with them or go someplace else. You'll learn what kind of cargo securements you need and which ones will work better in another van.

You'll also be taking notes on whether or not you even want to do this for even one more day, much less for a year or more until you get a new van. At that point you'll know. You'll know if this is something you want to do long term. If you don't, you can sell that van for probably close to and maybe even more than you paid for it, depending on any improvements you may have made to it.

But by then you'll definitely know if it's something you want to drop $40,000 on for a new Sprinter or other new van, or would it make more sense for you to wait a couple of years and then buy another used van and keep on banking money for that much longer. I know one guy who paid about $5,000 or $6,000 every other year for a used van and after 5 years he had enough of getting dressed while doubled over and crawling around in there like a bug, and he walked in and paid cash for his 07 Sprinter.

After you've done this for a year or two, you'll know whether or not you want a Sprinter. This forum is full of people who have one, or want one, or will have absolutely nothing to do with one. You'll know. And you'll be right.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the input turtle I actually ask about miles because as I stated everyone and each carrier is different and the sitting that you mentioned and the running that you spoke of really doesn’t bother me expediting is different sometimes slower sometimes just as fast as IM use to running. I have been a owner op for fedex ground now for several years and been driving and sitting since I was 22 and IM 34 now and during my sit times I have managed to make the most of my time by obtaining my AA in business management and continued to do what worked when sitting which at times wasn’t a lot but enough to continue to work and get my Bachelors so I have learned to make the most of my time and as far as cost, miles, in between loads and questions as such are being asked because of my business plan that IM doing because I plan to purchase not just 1 sprinter but a straight truck as well my research with that has been complete a while ago but you raised very important questions and issues some of which I had already had written down because of interviewing those that have expressed interest in driving for me so before I bring on people and make the purchase anyone that will drive for me will have all the facts up front hence the reason for all the questions I have asked thusfar. Everyone has a point everyone has a view are any of them wrong or right? No because its just that they’re view point as to what worked for them or those they know or what hasn’t worked for them or those they know either way you slice it, knowing both sides of what people have gone through thusfar is always good to know and helps others to plan and try to tweak certain things in hopes of making it better. But your input was great and has taken all your points down, thanks again.

G

I have 3 friends in sprinters ...all of them change transmission after 240000 it cost around 4000 and I met some drivers with the same problem..one of my friends trade his sprinter with a cube van Diesel from GM...is cheaper and you can get more freight he's running for Landstar

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle... yours was the most excellent advice for potential newbies considering the owner/op route in expediting with vans.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
on question how far i run avg about 500 to 1000 per week in hampton roads area
with egl soon to be ceva
one problem with the egr value at 6,100 miles covered by warranty