Are many retail jobs slowly coming to a end?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree. Question for discussion and curiosity purposes. Are those retail jobs or are they warehousing jobs?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In this instance, I think it is more warehouse oriented. I don't think one would have to go far from adapting many of these into your local Walmart. It won't replace every position, but it will certainly cut the amount of people needed to run a store. On the fast food side, McDonalds is testing robotics for cooking and order taking.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In this instance, I think it is more warehouse oriented. I don't think one would have to go far from adapting many of these into your local Walmart. It won't replace every position, but it will certainly cut the amount of people needed to run a store. On the fast food side, McDonalds is testing robotics for cooking and order taking.

Many of the newer wally mart stores are already using robotics in the store stockrooms. The robots bring the merchandise to a staging area for floor persons to take.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Many of the newer wally mart stores are already using robotics in the store stockrooms. The robots bring the merchandise to a staging area for floor persons to take.

Very true. They have them in our Walmart. One of their employees said they were starting to change out certain types of shelving to accommodate these robots so employees wouldn't be needed to stock shelves. Especially at night. The shelves do and show any price or price changes, and it tells a computer when the item needs to be restocked.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Retail jobs now are evolving to part-time, low-pay positions that offer no benefits. They are still plentiful, especially during the holidays and will continue to be available after the first of the year. The problem is that now a person has to have two of these jobs to come close to a modest standard of living. That's how "Hope & Change" works in the Obama economy.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sadly, many will price themselves right out of job. As competition and employee costs rise, it does nothing but make this technology more attractive. It will create jobs, but just for the ones that can fix & build the robots. The writing is on the wall.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder. Always questions but no answers.
Where do all these displaced people go? Some will be absorbed into the "new economy" but others won't.
Who buys all the products that the robots make and move around? Certainly, I doubt "Iron Mike" is going to the Ford dealership to buy a new car, and the displaced auto workers-- nope, they're too busy trying to survive to worry about buying a new car.
Same thing for the displaced retail workers. Sure it was a poor job with low pay, but at least it was something-- and now there's not even that because some machine is doing the job. So-- who buys their products? The displaced workers? Other robots? (Hmmm.... McDonald's "food" might be indigestible even for a robot.)

I may have missed something, but I haven't seen anybody even attempt a serious answer that doesn't sound like "It'll all be done by magic" or words to that effect. Maybe nobody has really thought about it, and I reckon they won't until the "Robot Economy" inevitably tanks.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Automation has been going on for a long time..And it will always continue to grow and branch out to others sections.
Along with automation comes other jobs that design,repair,replace and maintain.
Automated burgers just might be a good thing because some ppl that are serving them up now cant seem to get the simple right the first time. At least a machine can be programmed to stock a potato chip shelve with the proper amount of bags without compacting the entire back row to fit 6 more bags on the shelve.

The rest that don't move with automation will simply become truck drivers. :cool:

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Retail jobs now are evolving to part-time, low-pay positions that offer no benefits. They are still plentiful, especially during the holidays and will continue to be available after the first of the year. The problem is that now a person has to have two of these jobs to come close to a modest standard of living. That's how "Hope & Change" works in the Obama economy.
Most retail jobs have been part time low paying jobs for over 30 years now.
With the robots Walmart will be able to go with stores 3 times bigger, Super Mega Walmarts.
If I remember correctly Walmart used to advertise back in the 1980's "made in the USA"

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Beginning in the 1980’s, the private sector began an effort that continues to this day to reduce the proportion of the cost of selling goods and services attributed to labor. This takes many forms, including limiting wage growth, outsourcing, union busting, sending jobs overseas, transferring jobs to right-to-work states, increasing the ratio of part-time to full-time employees, not translating workplace productivity gains into wage increases, shifting more health care costs to employees, ending defined benefit pensions, reducing employer contributions to defined contribution pensions and switching to once-a-year, lump sum contributions, classifying employees as independent contractors to avoid paying benefits and workingman’s compensation contributions, increasing the number of unpaid internships, hiring new workers through temp agencies, requiring employees to sign non-compete agreements, and layoffs, not only during recessions, but also after mergers and acquisitions. Non-cyclical layoffs have become a permanent feature of the new economy.

Economic marginalization of ordinary working Americans in the private sector is once again a core organizing principle of American conservatism.

This has been a 30-40 year process - and you blame it on Obama?!
So tell me, when so many people can't earn enough to cover basic expenses, who's going to be buying what the automation is preparing to sell?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Truckers need to know their Cost Per Mile (CPM). It's a critical number to know whether or not a load or an average of loads is profitable. Calculated into that figure are fixed expenses, the monthly expenses that must be paid no matter what, and the operating expenses of day-to-day operations. Obviously, whenever you can cut the costs of your monthly expenses and operating expenses, you're going to do that, because it makes you more profitable, it makes you more money, and making money is why you're out here in the first place.

Oddly enough, retail, restaurant and other types of businesses have the same kind of deal. It's called the Cost of Doing Business (CODB). Basically, they add up all of their purchases and expenses, including salaries, needed to run the business, then they divide that by the number of days they are open, giving them the minimum amount they need to make each day in order to break even. If they are consistently in the red they will either go out of business or they need to make changes to their CODB. They can raise the prices of goods and services, but that doesn't always work in a free market, because if consumers can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere, they will. The alternative is to reduce the costs of purchases and expenses, including salaries, in order to reduce their costs of running their business. Doing so keeps them in the black, makes them more profitable, makes them more money, and making money is why the business exists in the first place.

I will leave it to the reader to discover any similarities, differences, hypocrisies and ironies that can be found in comparing the above two paragraphs and situations.