are drivers stupid

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
why does repair shops think we are stupid?
just had some repairs done and PM/anual and noticed double billing on a lot of stuff

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As sad as it sounds with some shops is, if they can........they will.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Count me in the stupid category. What does "PM/anual" mean?

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
oil change/ annul inspestion that dot requires because dot thinks we arn't smart enough to tell when we need brakes lights etc

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Annual inspections and oil change, I hope oil is changed more then annually. Is there oil analysis, done annually?? It should be to be catch an early problem coming, stitch in time saves nine. Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinkerx(

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>why does repair shops think we are stupid?
>just had some repairs done and PM/anual and noticed double
>billing on a lot of stuff

would like to know what the double billing was,if you had the good pm at a ta truck stop,they do an inspection,but if you also have dot inspection ,that is different than the pm inspection so it may seem as dbl billing

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"oil change/ annul inspestion"

OK, now I'm even more confused. annul inspestion?
Sounds like a job for Terminix.

I'm just messin' :+

If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half
in a minute and a half, how long would it take a
monkey with a wooden stick to suck all the seeds
out of a dill pickle?

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
>why does repair shops think we are stupid?
>just had some repairs done and PM/anual and noticed double
>billing on a lot of stuff

Because we write stuff like "why does repair shops":p

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That was my first reaction. I thought it was a joke.

Like "We was wandering why them there giys try to screew uss?"

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Tese resposes beeg tthe kwestion do thees posers ever prooof theer posts?
A lot of nondrivers read this forum. Some of these posts are very hard to decipher because of spelling. We as a group can look pretty
"stupid" the way some posts are displayed.
Read your post, proof it, and then post it, hopefully it will read better.

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
no biggie my last post i'm not educated enough for the peep's here i'll move on and just read and if i can help someone out i'll just E-mail them like i say all the perfic experditers and i see i'm just not good enough to be part of them by by

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How educated you are has nothing to do with it. Capitalizing the first word of a sentence, and putting a period at the end to indicate where the sentences begin and end, is taught in first grade. It's about common courtesy - making what you write clear enough that the reader isn't forced to work at figuring it out.
Sharing knowledge is the main reason we're here. No matter how much knowledge you have to share, we can't benefit from it if we can't understand what you're saying. When you don't bother with the rules of writing, like capitalization and punctuation, using spellcheck for the tough words, or a dictionary, and you apparently don't read it yourself before posting, to catch the obvious mistakes, you may as well be speaking a foreign language.
This is America - you know how we feel about that, right?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree. And this certainly isn't unique to this forum or to truckers. It's an Internet-wide pandemic. Communication is simply imparting information. When it's not received or understood by anyone, it's one-way communication, and when you're trying to get others to understand what you are saying, you need to communicate it so it can be understood.

If you want to communicate your thoughts and ideas to others in print, like online, first and foremost it must be readable. That means capitals at the beginning of a sentence, a period at the end, space. It means breaking up a lengthy post into paragraphs, even if the paragraphs aren't grammatically correct insofar as the first line of the paragraph describes what the paragraph will talk about (though that does help).

Spelling and grammar are important, but not critical, as these can be thrown under the bus and still get your thoughts and ideas communicated to others. Sometimes a very incorrect grammatical comma is precisely what is needed for the reader to take a mental breath-pause when two ideas would otherwise run together in a sentence. If you pause mentally when you're writing something, it's not a bad idea to put a comma right there in the same place.

Typos are going to happen, spell-checker or not, as many typos are actually real words. The use of their and they're and your and you're should be carefully looked at before posting, as repeated use within a post makes the post less readable.

One of the easiest things you can do to make your posts readable is to actually read it before you post it. And try to read it from the perspective of someone who didn't write it. Instead of banging out your thoughts on the keyboard and then blindly pressing "Post Message" you should press "Preview" and read it. If you don't understand what you just wrote, it's very likely no one else will, either.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is what I posted on one of the blogs/foums I used to manage when it was apparent that some had a problem with others who could not write properly in the admin’s section of the blog.

Here we go again dummies.

STOP CRITISIZING PEOPLE

Look most of you are not English majors or write for a living, so what’s the big deal. For many of you, it is no big deal you can’t spell, punctuate or even form a sentence properly, so why criticize? For those who are critics or think that they should be punctuation police, you need to go to the NYT, get a job proofing and shut up.

For many posters that are plain lazy, using the new form of communications – text messaging – instead of normal, correct (to the best of anyone’s ability) English, can lead to other problems in life, like being impotent. You need to think, not dissect your thoughts a little better and remember this is not a race to see who can reply first. It is becoming second nature to just type a post or reply to abbreviate things or use the text language and for some of us it is quite annoying.

But on the other hand, I have had to deal with people who can’t read, write or even form basic sentences and preventing any criticizing of them to allow them to express themselves, give the opportunity for the forum to grow. Some, it is cultural and for others it is a personal issue, but what ever it is, it is alright to allow them to post their replies as best as they can.

I constantly hear the issue of spell check and the crying about why we should have one, well we don’t have one and it is unlikely until a major upgrade happens. Trying to force someone to write things in Abiword or Openoffice is ludicrous at best. Many of the members, even the ones who pay, have limited computer skills, hell many can’t cut and paste so to expect that is detrimental to the entire site.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheri wrote:

> How educated you are has nothing to do with it.
>Capitalizing the first word of a sentence, and putting a
>period at the end to indicate where the sentences begin and
>end, is taught in first grade. It's about common courtesy -
>making what you write clear enough that the reader isn't
>forced to work at figuring it out.

Nice summation Cheri and Gregg !!

My sentiments exactly.

Be safe.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
weel ok greg i guess as long as i no whatim saying then however i tipe it shood be good enuff and ne1 who reeds it shood also no what i mean.no need to make readble or any of that noncents wenits pufecty clear wat im taking about to everboby who reds it.reminds me of whn i has my tires rtate the ther da and guy asked How i Wanted rotated and i said just rotate them so he spun em an laffed it was funny. haha

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Bama: There certainly none of the "peeps" here worth getting your feathers ruffled over. Jes tell em if'n their peabrain gets hot decipher'in, quit reading. Not a big deal, either way. But, to answer your question, I don't necessarily think they (all) are stewpid, most however, are more than happy to throw the plastic around when it isn't theirs. Therefore, they don't purify the bill too often. Seems to give the shady places an opening to pull some crap. Keep reading your repair bills everyone!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Jes tell em if'n their peabrain gets hot decipher'in, quit reading. Not a big deal...

Not a big deal, unless, of course, you want them to understand what you are trying to convey.x(