April locations, but I won't promise spring!

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I often think about getting a regular job, providing a "normal" life. But then I go to a pick up or delivery and see these people working there so unhappy, like drones, machines. And then I get back into the van and realize this really isn't that bad after all...every rose has it's thorn.

Yep, doing the same thing in the same way in the same--often windowless--building, day after day, week after week, drives me up a wall. If I can't see the sunrise and sunsets and the sky throughout the day, and feel more in touch with my environs than seeing the same walls, equipment, and yeah, even people, every single day, I feel stuck and that I am not moving forward in life.

There's no better solution for that, at least for me, than looking at the world through a windshield for the best part of the day, interspersed with a great deal of interactions with new people, places, and communities. Driving roads never driven before, and re-visiting back roads and small towns I haven't been to in ages, is my self-prescribed remedy.

As example, every once in awhile I stop in this tiny little bakery/sandwich shop in Flandreau SD, where most shops on Main St have been shuttered for a long time and the town clock only reads right twice a day. When the tiny old white-haired gal in apron and glasses emerges from the back on the sandwich side, I call her by name, having learned it from the gals behind the bakery counter the first time I was there, some seven-eight years ago.

"Phyllis!"

The first time she wiped her hands on her apron, looked over her glasses and said "Now wait, don't tell me, you must be Mildred's oldest boy..."

Now when I go in and say, with open arms, "Phyllis!"

She looks up with smiling eyes and says "You're that traveling man! How are you? Where have you been this time?"

guido4475

Not a Member
Yep, doing the same thing in the same way in the same--often windowless--building, day after day, week after week, drives me up a wall. If I can't see the sunrise and sunsets and the sky throughout the day, and feel more in touch with my environs than seeing the same walls, equipment, and yeah, even people, every single day, I feel stuck and that I am not moving forward in life.

There's no better solution for that, at least for me, than looking at the world through a windshield for the best part of the day, interspersed with a great deal of interactions with new people, places, and communities. Driving roads never driven before, and re-visiting back roads and small towns I haven't been to in ages, is my self-prescribed remedy.

As example, every once in awhile I stop in this tiny little bakery/sandwich shop in Flandreau SD, where most shops on Main St have been shuttered for a long time and the town clock only reads right twice a day. When the tiny old white-haired gal in apron and glasses emerges from the back on the sandwich side, I call her by name, having learned it from the gals behind the bakery counter the first time I was there, some seven-eight years ago.

"Phyllis!"

The first time she wiped her hands on her apron, looked over her glasses and said "Now wait, don't tell me, you must be Mildred's oldest boy..."

Now when I go in and say, with open arms, "Phyllis!"

She looks up with smiling eyes and says "You're that traveling man! How are you? Where have you been this time?"

Wow. That's pretty deep, but true. I once knew this waitress in this little choke and puke outside of Texarcana that went by the name of Mavis Davis. But that was many years ago, back when fuel was under a buck a gallon.Ten Four?...lol....

Sorry, watching the movie "Convoy".....lol...

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Friendly Kenley N.C. at the Petro 180 smiles from home should I or shouldn't I ?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
If Ragman says do it you better dam well do it. Otherwise he may put up an incriminating pic of you in your current state.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Friendly Kenley N.C. at the Petro 180 smiles from home should I or shouldn't I ?

180 from home? Hell yeah, especially these days, unless you have a history of getting more loads from where you are now than from home.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks but pretty boring yesterday and same today. Mound of paperwork to sign and date that was over an inch thick and the training lady read all of it verbatim and in monotone. I could barely stay awake! Lol

Whats the phone number to the call center. I want to call you every three hours to get a position update on ya. lol

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Whats the phone number to the call center. I want to call you every three hours to get a position update on ya. lol

I called him earlier and his training seems to have taken hold pretty well...not only did I upgrade the cable in my van that I didn't even know I had, but I now have a slot at a time share in Solon OH...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I called him earlier and his training seems to have taken hold pretty well...not only did I upgrade the cable in my van that I didn't even know I had, but I now have a slot at a time share in Solon OH...

He's selling the adult swim channel to 85 year olds. J/K.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First night on the road, didn't freeze to death. Next stop when I get home: medical supply place, for a certain "bottle". Available in Colonial Heights, Va. at the Pilot.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Started late monday afternoon with a load from Milwaukee to Valley City ND and now running from Fargo to Edmonton AB. Only 1,600 loaded miles so far this week. But I'm hopeful for something good on Friday!