Approx what should this pay?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
If you can A w/out violating any privacy issues, what would be a ballpark rate for your company for a run going from Flint, Mi to Toronto in a cargo van? This would figure on a 250 mile trip & of course, going into Canada.

I realize there's a slew of variables and an exact price might not be possible. What would be a ballpark figure though?

Thanx in advance

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
For a van I would charge 345.00 to 365.00 usd including FS. If I was close to the pk-up. This is what I charge!! If they don't give it to me then oh-well, there will be another load soon enough.:D

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
Well,depends what kind of weight are you talking about? What kind of freight is it? .75 to .85 a mile for a " A" cargo van

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
Well,depends what kind of weight are you talking about? What kind of freight is it? .75 to .85 a mile for a " A" cargo van

I think he want's carrier rate. That is what I gave him. I also do not change my rate for A or B vans. A van rate is a van rate, period....

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
The type of freight would be open. I'm guessing a lot is automotive going over there & coming back. When I did this in the past most of my freight was auto related.

.75-.85/mile? Yowza. I wouldn't do it for that. You have the bridge tolls, the wait time at the bridge, the extra cost for cell phone usage while in Canada, fuel prices are much higher. While I wouldn't fill up in Canada, depending on how far I went into it I'm going to have to get at least some gas there. Also the 407 tolls, if ya use it. I'm guessing the milage is calculated using that if it's the shortest way. To not use it means you've extended your trip.

When I did this before, I worked for a low paying company. I was ok w/ it because I went from the GTA to Michigan. Then Michigan to the GTA. That was fine. Later on the border agents really started getting to me. Also though, I talked to a driver from another company at the Honda plant. (Maybe Toyota, been awhile since I was there)..

He had taken a run that picked up about 20 miles from where I did. When he told me what he made on his run, vs what I had made, I felt that was too much to be leaving on the table for the sake of being in a Michigan/GTA loop.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The question you should be asking is: "What should I charge?" Everyone's business is different. You should accept or decline the load based on what you need to make a profit.

If my carrier offered me that load today it would pay me about $340. .77 base rate, .23 f.s.c. and $90 border crossing.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
A simple, informative answer. On the first part I'm w/ ya & already there. I'd kind of ran some numbers in my head about bridge fares, how much fuel I'd need to purchase in Canada- depending on how far I went- & 407 tolls, if those came into play. I came up w/ a number about what you're paid.

It's the 2nd part that really made it sink in. I was trying to figure out a per mile rate. Going to Windsor & going to Toronto would require 2 different sets of numbers. So before I had sort of a sliding scale per mile. Kind of confusing maybe.

The flat fee for the border crossing + a consistant mile charge is something I hadn't considered. Perfect idea. Thanx a ton. That helped me a lot.

The question you should be asking is: "What should I charge?" Everyone's business is different. You should accept or decline the load based on what you need to make a profit.

If my carrier offered me that load today it would pay me about $340. .77 base rate, .23 f.s.c. and $90 border crossing.

goslow

Seasoned Expediter

WOW 90.00 border-x-fee Thanks Moot I need to up my Canada rates. I was only charging 25.00 as it does not cost that much to cross any of the bridges, 10.00 tops one-way on the most expensive.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WOW 90.00 border-x-fee Thanks Moot I need to up my Canada rates. I was only charging 25.00 as it does not cost that much to cross any of the bridges, 10.00 tops one-way on the most expensive.

Don't forget the $10.75 to the friendly US customs agent when you cross back in if you dont have a transponder (if they bother to ask for it) :p

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
Don't forget the $10.75 to the friendly US customs agent when you cross back in if you dont have a transponder (if they bother to ask for it) :p

Yea I have the transponder. I was charging $25.00 each way as I always wait in Canada for a load out. Heck at 90.00 you can have the transponder paid for in 2 trips. 200.00 a year ain't bad if you go to Canada allot. I go about 30 or so times a year!!

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm glad I made this post for another reason now.

What transponder? I'm guessing not the same one you'd use for the turnpikes down here or the 407 in Toronto.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The transponder you get from the feds that supposed to discount the fees for crossing. I stopped using mine because many of the times the ICE agent would tell me that he wasn't going to charge me.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The transponder you get from the feds that supposed to discount the fees for crossing. I stopped using mine because many of the times the ICE agent would tell me that he wasn't going to charge me.

I was being asked to pay probably less than half the time I crossed but it was still a no brainer for me to get one crossing at least twice a week. But yeah for occasional crossings the $205 isn't worth it.