Apportioned Plate Calculator

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
OK, So I am trying to figure out roughly what P plates would run, called WA IRP office and they gave me roughly (pretty close it seems) figures for the base jurisdiction (WA) but could tell me nothing of what BC will charge, said to call BC. So I call them and was told I have to fill out an application as there are too many questions to be answered, then she puts me to someone else who said basically the same thing but that she heard International Registration Plan, Inc. has an online calculator. I was able to find that, got a user name and start punching in numbers, most seems self explanatory except for the mileage. I have over a years history to work from so don't need to use estimated figures but when I enter mileage is it a daily figure?

Assuming it is daily figures you use, WA seems reasonable but BC? Holy cow, it comes to around $3200 for 60% of a 120 mile round trip. Seems they also factor in a trucks year, MSRP, purchase price and year whereas WA only cares how many axles and what the GVW is.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Dont know what size unit you are talking about,but a tractor trailer,signed up for 48 states will go around 1600 per year.this price is based on total miles.the 1st time you sign up,each state has a minimu figure for miles you will run in their state,use the mimnum miles,then the next year you will have acyual miles,usually the second year cost is less than the 1st year.Some states plates cost more than others but cost wil be like I said arund 1600 bucks a year

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
That would be a reasonable figure and for 48 states not bad at all. As I said I have over a years history to base mileage estimates on, Truck operates in BC and WA state only, average daily trip is 120 miles, 72 miles in BC and 48 miles in WA or 60 and 40% respectively. This was for a 3 axle straight truck, 48K GVW and roughly (at a guess) a 22K unladen weight. The only real variable is purchase price - and with BC it matters what you spent on it. So my only real question is when plug in mileage for BC and WA do I use daily figures? Does $3200 seem high to run only 2 jurisdictions with these low miles?

One other question, can you get P plates on a light 2 axle truck - say around 12K lbs? Guy at WA IRP told me it had to be at least 14K but it doesn't really point that out on their website.