apple

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I didn't see much but if you want to run Streets and trips on mac, here is a possible solution - VirtualBox

You will have to have a copy (legit) of Windows XP and Streets and Trips (or some other nav program). Install VirtualBox and then follow the steps to install the OS and you are good to go.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're better off using a computer as a computer, and a GSP unit as a GPS unit.

transporter

Expert Expediter
keep it up dakota, turtle i have to disagree i have latest rand but prefer microsoft. thxs gregg i talked to best buy for 300 bucks thet would add windows7 to my mac but the biggest reason i got a mac was viruses i get every couple months. i have heard macs almost never get viruses unless you add microsoft. so i am looking for a non microsoft solution

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you use the virtual machine with windows XP and only use it with streets and trips, you should not have a virus problem ever.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I run S/T in Parallels but I don't go to the internet through parallels ever so I don't think there's any more risk than an Apple not running windows.

transporter

Expert Expediter
so if i do that bestbuy windows 7 install and only use software no internet on windows side of apple would that keep the viruses off the computer?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Do you get a actual copy of windows7?

I guess I'm cheap, virtual box is free, windows XP is cheap (actual real CD and license). It all does the same thing.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So I assume they are installing it as a dual boot system, which just complicates things even more.

transporter

Expert Expediter
leo i think bestbuy was going to do it like you. i assume paralls is samething.. greg i never heard of virtual box before. i do like windows xp but windows 7 is future. staying with xp will likely limit me with future software purchases.
i am going to have to make some time to become alot more computer savy.