Anyone see this? trucker hit with 31,000 dollar over weight ticket

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if PC miler would have told him to turn right into the Ohio river, if he would have followed that direction?:confused:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use a TomTom. I regularly have to over-ride its directions, especially in Chicago. Now, mine isn't a trucker's GPS, so I understand that there are differences, but the basic idea is the same. I drive a commercial van, so I can't go on boulevards in Chicago. Tom Tom never met a boulevard it didn't like. If I followed its directions, I'd have tickets like you wouldn't believe.

Get a Trucker's Atlas. It's a start, anyway, and if you have to take a truck on a restricted road-- be ready to PROVE you have to do it to make the delivery.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Could not watch the video. Too bad there was not a written story with it.

I often wonder how truckers can remain in total compliance with weight laws and still do business. On many occasions we have had to travel on roads that were marked with weight limits that we exceed. The road was the only way into or out of a pick up or delivery. This happens both out in the country and in the center of a big city. How are these business places going to remain in business if no trucks can get in or out? What about all of the museums? Many of them are in large cites and require large trucks to move art work. There is seldom a "legal" way for anything larger than a cargo van to get in or out of those places. A van cannot carry the freight. Nothing like stupidity to rule the world.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could not watch the video. Too bad there was not a written story with it.

I often wonder how truckers can remain in total compliance with weight laws and still do business. On many occasions we have had to travel on roads that were marked with weight limits that we exceed. The road was the only way into or out of a pick up or delivery. This happens both out in the country and in the center of a big city. How are these business places going to remain in business if no trucks can get in or out? What about all of the museums? Many of them are in large cites and require large trucks to move art work. There is seldom a "legal" way for anything larger than a cargo van to get in or out of those places. A van cannot carry the freight. Nothing like stupidity to rule the world.

He could have call PA DOT to confirm...he mentioned route 910...that is a county rd. He mentioned 3 ways of getting into an airport..hard to believe at least one of them was for trucks....

Many signs into a city say for local deliveries only....that would be you....and if your overweight,,,it is on you...and your shipper...an overweight permit maybe?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Could not see the video so I don't know this case. We delivered a pump to a coal mine in PA. Every road and bridge going into or out of that mine was weight restricted. I went in along with several large coal haulers, all of us over weight. PA could make a fortune sitting outside that mine. Many of these regulations are nothing more that a money grab.

They need to get smart with these restricted areas so they make sense. It is not always the condition of a road or bridge that prompts a weight restriction. It is often pure politics and nothing more.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
$30,000.00 for a over weight ticket is a crime if you ask me. This is highway robbery, this just makes me never want to go into PA again.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I hope he goes in front of a judge w/ some common sense. I've got to believe there's more to the story than meets the eye. There's no way this kind of thing is worth even close to $30,000 with what I've seen on the video.

Out of curiosity, how much would an overweight ticket run? I'm guessing different amounts for different situations, but what might be a ballpark figure?

Also, do they give leeway on that at all akin to ya often get 5MPH over on speeds? So if someone's running 26,030 pounds, are they generally strict on that amount or how much do ya have to be over until you know you're probably in deep kaka?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
May be no one noticed but fox opened with saying this was because of Obama. A little disingenuous if you ask me.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gregg, I caught the same thing. It was a state issue not a Fed issuse on the ticket.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Beach dude,
I'm not saying a word about the driver but rather fox's inability of being honest with the information.

It is like their reporting of the girls scout thing the other day, they ignored all the other information just to focus on one issue and only one issue.

I truly hope the ticket is thrown out.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Beach dude,
I'm not saying a word about the driver but rather fox's inability of being honest with the information.
Which is why anyone who watches Fox News and thinks they're getting "fair and balanced", or even honest news, are fools. Fools, I tell you, fools!

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gregg I agreed with you, I was pointing out this was a state issue and had noting to do with the Feds and Obama

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Gregg I agreed with you, I was pointing out this was a state issue and had noting to do with the Feds and Obama

Sorry, I didn't mean to say you were saying anything different, my mind is somewhere else today, not on the forum.