anyone help me with new career

parfive24

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone help me with new career. I am wanting to get into cargo van driving. Should I buy sprinter over a cargo van? Which company should I try to work for? I am completely new at this. If anyone can give me any advice. Thanks Eric

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Here is a list of things I think others and myself would reccomend you do before jumping in and making any big decisions.

1. Read back about a year in the General,Newbie,Newbie Faqs,Truck Talk, and Recruiter forums. Read the ones that the title grabs your attention. This will help you ask more specific questions.
2. Read TerryandRene's recent post that is titled "2000 miles in a cargo van". That may not be the exact name of the title but it's close, and I think it will be a benenficial read.
3. Talk to as many cargo van/sprinter owners that you can.
4. I would seriously think about driving for a fleet owner before buying my own ride. This way you have a fleet owner with experience backing you up.
5. Make sure you have a good cash reserve fund. It takes a couple of weeks to get your first check, but you still have expenses.

Just rememer take plenty of notes, and do your homework. I'm going to be truthful with you. If you jump to quick it may not be long before you are trying to get someone to take over the payments on the truck. There is alot to learn in the industry, and trying to learn it after you have a truck payment is not the time. Be prepared. This may not be exactly what you were looking for, but I think it would be better for you to have others assist you in finding the answers to your questions instead of just giving you an answer. Others may disagree, but these are my thoughts. Have a good day.

Reactions: Rollr4872

barney

Expert Expediter
Eric,
You need to go back and read Terry's post " 2000 miles per week in a van ". Pay close attention to what Terry says. He knows what he is talking about.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hey Eric,

Welcome to EO! You will probably find some of these very questions already talked about in the Newbies Paradise Forum I think it's third on the list of forum sections There are many options and many routes you can go. There are people on here with Sprinters and those with standard cargo vans. Another option is a cargo that has a turtle top, or raised roof, with a taller rear doorway to accomodate taller pallets.

As far as carriers go, I would take the time to make sure you get a right fit for the way you are. Some people prefer the largest of carriers, and yet there are those on here with smaller carriers who love it and wouldn't change a thing. I hope you'll take the time to use the search feature for specific question on here and just browse through in general. Happy hunting.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
That's it 2,000 miles per week in a van. I would say Terry is an authority on the van segment of the business and really expedite as a whole. He gives great advice. I'm just a crazy redneck who try's to help people when he can.

08CareerOTR

Seasoned Expediter
Agree with all, plus check with company you plan to lease on with for some want class C-CDL w/HazMat endorsments.....Plus read all the forum writers for they have more exp and knoeledge. I too am learning here and now just plan to get into the cargo vans and maybe cube van.....Just take time and check all " Informations" before you jump.....

Chris-( FreyFoxx Enterprises)

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
You know I just don't understand something here. There has been post after post about how the expediting field is just saturated with vans, drivers either deadheading all over the place looking for loads or sitting days on end in a parking lot somewhere praying for a load and not getting those prayers answered, talking about how much it's costing them to be out here with nothing or not much coming back in and about to lose everything because for some reason they thought they were going to be the exception and just make easy money hand over fist and see the country. You all say your reading but apparently your not all comprehending. Yeah I know your different and you have a plan. So let me suggest that you buy an 08' chevy express 1 ton extended with a high top, because I'm looking to upgrade soon and when yours gets repo'ed I might be able to get a good deal.

Yeah I know I'm being a smart ass here but I'm trying to drive home a point here. I don't think I can make it much clearer. Well yeah I could but you probably wouldn't want to hear that either.

Best of luck,
Fr8 Shaker

p.s.
for a new career might want to think wallpaper and paint.

baracade

Seasoned Expediter
I read a lot of post on this forum begining in 06 and talked my way out of jumping in the expedite business. I talked to several drivers that I saw on the road, even followed one to his delivery point. Never could get a straight answer from anyone as to what their cpm was. Talked to the Freightliner dealer in my area and he helped me with figuring my cpm, that's when the light bulb went on and I decided not to jump in the business.
So do as advised here, read and comprehend as much as possible before making a life altering decision.
Good luck to all the hard working truckers out there!

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Baracade, glad to hear you didn't jump in with both feet just to drown, you not only need to know how to swim but need to make sure the water is fine and right now it's pretty damn cold. I'm pretty sure anyone jumping in right now and not being at least somewhat experienced would suffer from hypothermia pretty quick.

I would just really hate to see someone jump into this thinking WOW this should be pretty easy money only to lose everything. And like I said before many times, if you have a family and your the sole provider you had better look elsewhere for a career.

baracade

Seasoned Expediter
I blame my initial excitement on the story that CBS aired in 2006 @ a retired couple signing on with Conway Now. Neither had any truck driving experience! I drove 18 wheeler tankers in the 70's, but have not driven anything bigger than a 1 ton since.
Any way, ya'll keep up the good work and stay safe.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
That CBS story got a lot of people into expediting in '05 not '06 which proves that you need to follow the advice given and learn more about expediting,most of those people are no longer in expediting and those that are still here are definitaly not with Conway Now as as Conway now is out of business!

vipra

Expert Expediter
Back to the subject the thread started with... I chose a Sprinter, hardly even bothering to do any comparison shopping, and 3 years later I'm very glad I did. A Mercedes diesel engine, 24 mpg, and a cargo space 6 ft tall and 14 ft long were deciding factors. Mine has 330K miles and has needed very little maintenance. I expect it to go 1 million miles.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have had 3 c unit's and on my 2nd sprinter, and running local with egl now ceva
if this had been around when i started in 92 might not have gone this way
might have gone with driving a dump truck or fuel tanker

this isn't for everybody, to make a go of this you have to stay out at least 3 week's at a time
if you run home every week you use up all your profit's going home all the time
also depends on what area you are in some of area are better than other area

some have change to better and some have change from bad to better
i would say maybe give mary kay a try, when i ran the road's for 11 year's
sold mary kay , mason shoes, laptops, pc's, new and used trucks, proheat gen set's
and a few other things to take make layover alittle better

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I would just really hate to see someone jump into this thinking WOW this should be pretty easy money only to lose everything. And like I said before many times, if you have a family and your the sole provider you had better look elsewhere for a career.

Yeah, but some folks just feel the need to make spend that severance pay that's burning a hole in their pocket ever since they walked off the plant.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
The questioner? Why a Van in Expediting? Why would you want to do this? The advice given is solid, and to clearify what they are saying is there is just no Money left to be made or one is just lucky from what I am told out there by Van Drivers. Going broke is like a old Country and Western Song.

So I ask you WHY? Why a Van? Ones efforts if its the ease of getting into a Van is also ones Rewards the harder something is, generally is what the pay off is in return not always but more often than not.

If one is Convinced, some good points made on the Sprinter.