Anybody having problems with blood pressure ?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Mine blood pressure was always fine until a couple of years ago when it was 145/90 during a DOT physical . I was put on 10 mg Lisinopril and that worked fine (I switched pharmacies when Walgreens started using a supplier in India that was recently approved by FDA ) . My latest physical a month ago showed 142/92 . If this was the first time with this reading they could certify me for a year . But since it's a recertification I only get a 3 month card . My Lisinopril dosage has been doubled to 20 mg . The problem is I need to monitor my BP . I bought a "good" Omron digital monitor . It has software that allows stored readings to be printd out on a graph BUT it is showing constant readings around 145/88 . When I am home my wife takes reading with a stethescope and cuff and gets much lower readings - no higher than 120/75. I can't risk a high reading when I go back for recertification and we know just being in a doctor's office raises your BP .

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
Loosing only 10 pounds will decrease your blood pressure, and will have you ready for your next DOT physical. This might be hard as an expediter but stay away from fast foods restaurants. With your blood pressure being so close to border line, 10 pounds will make a difference and if you stick with it, you wont have to worry about DOT physicals any more.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>Loosing only 10 pounds will decrease your blood pressure,
>and will have you ready for your next DOT physical. This
>might be hard as an expediter but stay away from fast foods
>restaurants. With your blood pressure being so close to
>border line, 10 pounds will make a difference and if you
>stick with it, you wont have to worry about DOT physicals
>any more.
I should have mentioned everything else is fine . I'm not really overweight . I had a complete physical including EKG and chest x-rays . I try to get salads when I go to fast food restaurants . I'm having a hard time giving up Texas Roadhouse ribs though . Luckily I don't run in TX or AR . That's good BBQ there . And that's coming from somebody living in the hometown of Moonlight Barbeque . Sorry , but they can't compare with Texas .

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>You might try posting your question on this site.
>
>http://en.allexperts.com/index.htm
>
>Maybe you should talk with another drug store pharmacy, and
>your doctor. Could even be a case of drug counterfeiting.
Thanks . I get the prescription at Kroger and I trust them . I won't be able to see the doctor for at least 10 days .

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Take your bp unit to your doctor's office and have them check your bp using a steth & cuff.......then have them use your portable unit. See what the difference is. Most units like that are "off" a little bit.
My wife uses a unit that goes around the wrist and measures that way. Took it to her Dr. and found out it was about 10 points higher than using a cuff..........that's probably why your getting a higher reading.
HOpe this helps!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Eating oatmeal every day can also drop you BP. Quaker makes instant oatmeal that comes in packets. You just add water or milk,microwave it for about a minute and it's done. No mess or major cleanups.

My own BP for some reason has always been higher in the AM vs the PM and like you reads lower with the stethoscope vs the machine.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Food is only a small part of the issue, Stress is the biggest factor involved with BP followed by sleep.

Yesterday I went for a follow up on my meds and my BP was 135/92. my doc wanted me to change meds and I explained to her that; 1- I have had a combined 5 hours sleep for the last two day, 2 - it is stressful for me to deal with the problems I have had in the last week so yes my BP is going to be higher than it should be. When I get sleep (7 hours solid sleep) the BP is always in the area of 115/82 but with constant interrupted sleep, it gets higher.

As suggested, I would make a point to bring your BP monitor in and compare the two, not just at one level but a couple levels.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I appreciate the help . I went to the site recommended and already received a response which said the monitor readings are doubtful . You know how it is trying to make doctor's appointments though . I usually get in town and ask if they've had any cancellations in the next day or 2 .

are12

Expert Expediter
When Jim was having problems with his blood pressure, our doctor recommended 1200mg of Omega-3 Fish Oil. Don't drink alot of coffee or water before going to your next appointment because both will raise your blood pressure. He is also taking 10mg of Lisinopril. And whatever you do, try and stay calm when you go for your next checkup!
Jim would get himself so worked up before his appointment and that will only raise the BP.

Hope this helps.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't eat anything for 2 hours before it's going to be checked. Don't drink anything for an hour before and nothing but water for at least an hour before that. Digestion raises bp several points. Don't smoke either. Don't drink anything with caffeine for maybe 24 hours. If your doctor's office is nice you should be able to walk in with your bp machine and get the nurse to compare it within just a few minutes. I have a wrist monitor, Walgreens by Hometics, and it's within 1-2 lb of what the doctor gets.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also working out helps to, i swim at least 3 times a week
and it has made a different
also maybe carry a bike to ride around and give ya small work out

are12

Expert Expediter
Leo,

Drinking water raises the blood pressure so I would not recommend that before a check up.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I also noticed when I was driving that my blood pressure would be lower after a couple of days at home relaxing than what it was while on the road. So you may want to consider taking a couple of days of relaxing before the recertifaction. How much sodium are taking in? If you cut off the sodas it will go down. If you smoke and lay off the cigarettes they say it will go down, but mine went up when I quit. Now it's back down that I've started back. You could always take an extra 1/2 pill before you go in to make sure it's low enough.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for all the info , especially on the water . Since they usually take a drug test with the physical I loaded up with water to avoid delays which probably cause stress and increase my BP . I never have smoked and avoid sodium as much as I can . I went on a Monday morning after being home for the weekend . I had been taking fish oil capsules but quit - another mistake . Thanks for that reminder .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Agreed, nothing is best for a while prior. I just was told that water could be tolerated a little closer to time than tea, coffee, soda etc. so that's why I put it's cutoff last.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

are12

Expert Expediter
The only reason we know about the water is because Jim would drink a ton of water before going for his re-check, when he mentioned it to the doctor, he told Jim that was the worst thing he could drink. (which I should have realized, since my younger sister has very low BP and she was told to drink more water to raise the pressure)

I guess I can't keep track of everything!:p :p

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
I was borderline for quite a while and last spring i went into the hospital for some minor surgery and it came to light that I had sleep apnea, well that problem is taken care of and my blood pressure came back to normal.

duerm

Seasoned Expediter
Four years ago I was given my 1st 3 month cert. I was put on 50 mg. Topral XL and was able to get a 1 yr. cert. I passed every year even though I was usually borderline on the 140/90. In May of this year I had a reading of 145/92 and was given another 3 month cert. My DR. doubled my dose to 100 mg. and after 2 weeks it didn't make much of a change so he added 150 mg. of Avapro. After 2 weeks my BP was down to 125/80. Many people need 2 and sometimes 3 different meds. to really get their BP under controll. Go to Web MD and look under the hypertension center. In the message boards there is open forum for HBP and there is alot of good info. Like depending if you are right or left handed your BP can be higher in your dominant arm or taking a brisk walk for 30 min. aday can lower your BP.