Any such thing as a 5 year warranty?

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I was close to buying a new expediter truck, then I was told the warranty is 2 years on the engine which can be pushed to 5, 5 on the transmission, 1 on axles, 1 on sleeper, and 1 on the body I guess. Is that normal? Does bumper to bumper exist for 5 years? Or is this the only type of warrant you will find these days? And is that worth it on a brand new truck? I don't want to start paying repair bills after a year, that's why I want a new truck anyway!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Depends on the type truck. Aftermarket extended warranty's are available. I had one on the drive train of a Pete I had. The only thing I replaced though was a cam sensor but they paid for all of it.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
review all warranties in writing 1st...never never never believe word of mouth sales pitches....been there done that!

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was close to buying a new expediter truck, then I was told the warranty is 2 years on the engine which can be pushed to 5, 5 on the transmission, 1 on axles, 1 on sleeper, and 1 on the body I guess. Is that normal? Does bumper to bumper exist for 5 years? Or is this the only type of warrant you will find these days? And is that worth it on a brand new truck? I don't want to start paying repair bills after a year, that's why I want a new truck anyway!!

The only one that I have seen that offers a 5 year 250k mile warranty is Hino.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
So is a 5 year engine and transmission warranty really all you mostly need anyway?

And also what about just leasing? You get the same tax benefits right? Is there a downside to leasing?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most are extended warranties. Two year is the norm with the smaller engines. Bumper to bumper is usually a year unless you have an aftermarket warranty program. Always read the fine print. We have a four year on our Detroits but you may or may not have to pay extra for that.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
So is a 5 year engine and transmission warranty really all you mostly need anyway?

And also what about just leasing? You get the same tax benefits right? Is there a downside to leasing?

I don't know about all leasing programs but most you still have to take care of repairs not covered by warranty. You are also limited to miles you can drive yearly and then you don't own anything after making payments on it. Personally I feel lease is a bad idea.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Lease purchase worked fine for me...just plan for the balloon payment at the end of the lease and if think you'll want to keep the truck then make sure there's a buyout clause in the contract or you'll have to hand over the keys at the end of the term.

We claimed the lease payments during the 5 years with out the depreciation and then claimed the balloon payment...now maint. and fuel are our main deductions.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Lease purchase worked fine for me...just plan for the balloon payment at the end of the lease and if think you'll want to keep the truck then make sure there's a buyout clause in the contract or you'll have to hand over the keys at the end of the term.

We claimed the lease payments during the 5 years with out the depreciation and then claimed the balloon payment...now maint. and fuel are our main deductions.

I was thinking I wouldn't keep it. Just lease another new one.