Any Independent Van drivers out there ??

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Where do you look for backhauls ?? I have outbound freight but will end up DH home 90% of the time. Are there load boards for vans ???? or that include vans ???
Also, if you get your insurance on your own, whats a reasonable annual rate ??

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i do not run under my own authority, i could be wrong, but i believe that as long as you are hauling freive to have your own insurght under your own authrority, you have to have your own insurance to begin with and it ain't cheap...but again i could be wrong...

as for backhaulers, why not "partener" with a few other carriers??

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Wow!! LOL! I was typing that while the van was filling up with gas and was in and out and wellll....that was a mess....:rolleyes:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Two thoughts. First, I really hate the word backhaul, but that's just one of my pet peeves. All freight moves forward and should move for the same rate no matter if you're heading away from or toward your house. With that aside, just contact a few other expedite carriers and get partner agreements with them. You never know what kinds of loads you might get from that.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I dont do any backhauls. I charge enough to cover the deadhead back home. I work directly with shippers within a 75 mile radius of my home so it is best for me to come directly home after a delivery. As far as insurance my primary liability and cargo insurance combined is about $1450 a year.

guido4475

Not a Member
Wow!! LOL! I was typing that while the van was filling up with gas and was in and out and wellll....that was a mess....:rolleyes:

I am touched, that is nothing but pure loyalty and dedication to this awesome website, otherwise known as Expediters Online, the #1 addiction to the serious expediter.You ever think about static electricity at the pumps ? KABOOM !!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So far, not a single verified case of static electricity, a cell phone, Blackberry, Ipad, or other electrical device, causing an explosion at the pumps. Not one.

Magic Markers, on the other hand, cause at least 1 deaths per year right there at the fuel island.