ANOTHER TOLL ROAD HEADING OUR WAY?

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Just when we leased our one toll road out to a private company here comes this plan from our beloved governor.

INDIANAPOLIS (December 12, 2006) - Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels announced today the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) and Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) have signed an agreement to study potential locations for a new interstate-quality highway connecting I-57 in Illinois to I-94 in Indiana.
The proposed highway, known as the Illiana Expressway, would be publicly owned but built with private funds, not tax dollars, and operated under contract as A TOLL ROAD. The highway would help relieve increasing traffic congestion in Northwest Indiana and the Chicagoland area.
Addressing the movement of freight will be a significant factor in the study. Rail yards in the Chicagoland area feed a large number of trucks using the current highway system. In Indiana, the Borman Expressway (I-80/94) is the state's second busiest highway and half of the traffic is semi-trucks.
The number of trucks that use the Borman each is expected to increase by 50 percent in the next 20 years. Right now, there are 28,000 per day.

300,000 vehicles travel between Indiana and Chicago each day on the Borman, US 6, US 30, the Indiana Toll Road and local streets.
The highway would be approximately 63 miles, with 50 of that in Indiana. Truck-only lanes will be evaluated along with the latest technology to facilitate the efficient movement of traffic and freight.
A map of the proposed study area may be found at this link: http://www.in.gov/gov/pdfs/Illiana_Expressway_Study_Area_Map.pdf

This guy is also planning on leasing out our state lottery! What next: public bathrooms.
: