another stupid question

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Most are looking for trucks newer then 1999.....if your truck is sound mechanically, has a DOT inspection and your willing to let the company mechanic give it a look see you could probably start work with that truck. Since you have no sleeper youll need hotels, I suggest DAYS INN, Join there PERKS club and youll get points for each stay, it doesnt take long for free rooms....be aware your going to put some BIG miles on that truck so the better shape its in, the better fuel mileage you can get, etc will benefit you.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Depends on the carrier. You should ask the carrier or carriers that you are considering signing on with versus being stuck with a truck that you can not sign on anywhere.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need a sleeper for this job, do not even consider a truck without one. Your best bet is to talk to recruiters at companies your interested in working with. Their requirements can change often depending on work loads in any given month.

hernandez212

Active Expediter
thats the next question which companys will be good. i live in nyc and will like to stay 600 to 900 miles from here. i don't mind coming to nyc.

hernandez212

Active Expediter
i will us my current truck as a trade in.. what the diffrence between automatic and auto-shift??? if i have a truck under 26 GVW do i need to fill out a book???

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want to stay that close it is a whole different game. Most likely none of the companies discussed on this site will work for you. Time to search local companies and speak with them about what they are looking for and what kind of truck they can put on.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many companies want no more than 5 years old, especially when signing on. Most will keep a truck on beyond that provided it passes inspection and looks decent. You need to check that with any company you might be interested in. It wouldn't be good to trade yours in for a 2005-2006 and then be turned down by the companies you are interested in.

Staying within 500-600 miles of anywhere isn't really expediting. Expediting is going in order to points A, B, C, D, E, F, G, C, H, I, J, K, F, L, M, C, N, A, O, P, Q and so on with any of those being anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. You might want to find out about Ceva and talk to Geo some. I believe he stays relatively local and thinks highly of the company. Good luck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
i live in nyc and will like to stay 600 to 900 miles from here.
That's about how far away I like to stay from there, too. :D

No, there's really not a lot of expedite that goes to the city. It's odds and ends, mostly. Although, Panther gets a lot of stuff in and out of there, mostly to places out on Long Island, and to and from JFK. Whenever I was around there, they always kept me busy either running up and down the coast, or into one of the boroughs. I've delivered to all of them. But you never know where the next load is going. Next load might be to Boston, or Indianapolis.