Another Power Plant Another Story

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Load of New Shoes Once to a Retail Store.
An 11' long Cessna Wing Tip delivered to an Airport Hanger.
A 12' Long Rod to Homestead, FL Nuclear Power Plant.
A 300 lb. Gear to a Coal Mine in WV.
A 500 lb. Spool of Cable to AT&T in Alabama.
Interesting, varied loads sometimes. Rarely though.
2 helicopters unmarked in tt went to a strange place in the desert.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Load of New Shoes Once to a Retail Store.
An 11' long Cessna Wing Tip delivered to an Airport Hanger.
A 12' Long Rod to Homestead, FL Nuclear Power Plant.
A 300 lb. Gear to a Coal Mine in WV.
A 500 lb. Spool of Cable to AT&T in Alabama.
Interesting, varied loads sometimes. Rarely though.
....and now to add to this list this week, a 6' tall, longgg skid of plastic out house walls (unassembled), Color:Sand
....and qty. 4 / 50 Gallon Barrels of Tire Soap, the BOL said (Tire Lube)
So interesting.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't call it interesting but have done several 1 pallet loads in my 53' van before that paid phenomenally well. Just ordinary expedited really. They were nothing oddball like coal from Wisconsin to West Virginia or cheese from Kentucky to Wisconsin lol.
I've seen this quite often when in line to enter a Plant at the Guard Gate and the TT Rear Doors are opened in front of me...and in that long, lonely space, sits a 4' cube, sometimes 2.

Deville

Not a Member
I ran a load a few years ago and the description of the freight on the QC was "SPACE CRAFT PARTS."
That was pretty cool.

Did two loads for Jet blue that were jet engines. Pretty neat driving on to the tarmac to deliver in the Hangar.

Reactions: vandriver2

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
We specialized in relocating data centers, we pulled them apart, transported them, and then put them back together again. Mostly we subbed the transport to Fedex CC WG TVAL for ground transport, or leased an entire plane for air transport. So we have 3 very unique loads that I want to tell you about.
1. The first one is arguably the most valuable data on planet earth; we moved the Nielsen ratings from NYC to Tampa bay. Fedex drove TVAL equipment from financial district in NYC to Teterboro AP in jersey. We then loaded the systems on a Falcon cargo jet and flew it to St. Pete clearwater airport. We loaded it up with Fedex TVAL for the 20mi $1000 trip. We then re-installed all of the gear.
2. We moved the american red cross data base from DC to downtown Chicago. It was 25 year old equipment, with no maintenance contract, no spare parts and no copies of the code that the system was written in. Scared me to death.
3. National Terrorist Database. We loaded up in DC area and transported to a data center in AL. The Prime contractor had cars spread throughout the route to take their place in the convoy. The convoy was trailed by US Marshall Service "battle wagon". The drivers on the Fedex TVAL truck had to coordinate all stops in advance, and the Marshall Service would go and make sure the stop was secure.
4. I also leased a 727 for 6 hours for $70,000 but that's another story. Amex called me about that credit card charge. lol

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We specialized in relocating data centers, we pulled them apart, transported them, and then put them back together again. Mostly we subbed the transport to Fedex CC WG TVAL for ground transport, or leased an entire plane for air transport. So we have 3 very unique loads that I want to tell you about.
1. The first one is arguably the most valuable data on planet earth; we moved the Nielsen ratings from NYC to Tampa bay. Fedex drove TVAL equipment from financial district in NYC to Teterboro AP in jersey. We then loaded the systems on a Falcon cargo jet and flew it to St. Pete clearwater airport. We loaded it up with Fedex TVAL for the 20mi $1000 trip. We then re-installed all of the gear.
2. We moved the american red cross data base from DC to downtown Chicago. It was 25 year old equipment, with no maintenance contract, no spare parts and no copies of the code that the system was written in. Scared me to death.
3. National Terrorist Database. We loaded up in DC area and transported to a data center in AL. The Prime contractor had cars spread throughout the route to take their place in the convoy. The convoy was trailed by US Marshall Service "battle wagon". The drivers on the Fedex TVAL truck had to coordinate all stops in advance, and the Marshall Service would go and make sure the stop was secure.
4. I also leased a 727 for 6 hours for $70,000 but that's another story. Amex called me about that credit card charge. lol
Impressive!

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 tubs of 2500lb total of screws from Chicago to Columbus Ohio then had exact same load very next morning from Columbus Ohio to Chicago. The screws color was just a bit different on the way back.

Reactions: paulnstef39

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was a time that we (USA) would ship coal from WV to Germany for our military bases there. It cost us a fortune. But the senator from WV was on the right committee and got it passed on a bill that was made into law. It was good for his reelection and the state but not for the rest of the country. Don't know if they still do that or not.

Reactions: Moot