Anniversary Trouble

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Need some input from the ladies. A couple posters have announced anniversaries recently. My wife and I will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary very shortly. I had bought my wife something that costs about 20 bucks. I mentioned to her that I had something picked out for her anniversary gift. She said I had already gotten it for her and it had better not be a piece of furniture or something. OOOPS! I won't mention what it is because she might possibly read this post. Hint: It is about 6 ft tall, goes tick, tock, and every quarter hour sez "Bong, Bong, etc. The 20 dollar gift was not the Tick, Tock thingie. Do you think I'm in trouble.

Last edited:

are12

Expert Expediter
Congratulations on your 50th anniversary! You must tell us your secret to a long and happy marriage!:D

Are you in trouble?? That is hard to say, if she would consider that a piece of furniture, I would say yes! If it is something she has mentioned she would like - then I would say no!

To play it safe, make reservations for a nice, quiet dinner and, afterwards, take her to a movie or dancing. That should keep you out of trouble.:D:D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You are nowhere near in as much trouble as the guy I saw in a hardware store. He was buying a weed whip for his wife's birthday gift and telling people in line at the checkout counter how good it was and how much she would enjoy it.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the replies. Her REAL anniversary present is going to be a nice new shiny hip replacement. That is pretty much going to rule out the dinner and dancing part. Dinner will probably be a frozen dinner or Pizza King delivery.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Last year 26th, year before very nice dinner with daughter and a special gift from a friend here on EO.

Got a call at about 9PM from my bride apoligizing to me, She forgot our Anniversary, and dont think for a minute I let on. Boy she saved my b tt.

True story

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
A Team, your weed whip story reminds me of a story my sister in law told about when she was a checker outer at the K Mart. Close to Valentines day a little girl and dad came through the check out. She asked what the little girl was getting her mommy for Valentines's day. She showed what it was as they checked out. She asked the dad what he was getting for his "mommie". He said (divorce) "Papers". Poor little kid.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
She's home with her nice, new, shiny replacement hip. Walked in the house on her walker, past the new tall clock and didn't even notice. Sat in a chair facing away from the clock. She finally noticed it a little later when she got up and walkered down the hall to lie down in the bed. She likes it. I'm safe. BTW, I am her caregiver. She needs all your prayers you can send her way. She survived the surgery, but she may not survive my being her caregiver. are12 asked what was the secret of being married 50 years. The answer is to admit that "yes", I was wrong, and "no", you were right after all.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That last line probably explains why I didn't make 50 years....[but I made 17!] :p
Congratulations, Prof, on a great story, a great marriage, and a great gift - you know she'll use that hip, lol. The grandfather clock sounds lovely too. :)

are12

Expert Expediter
Glad to hear everything went well with the new hip and we will keep your wife and you in our prayers.

Glad she liked the clock, they are hard not too!

Thanks for the advice on a long and happy marriage.:):)

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
We have a few days before the actual anniversary. We might not make it. The other evening I was tucking an ice pack thingie under her left thigh and moved her hip the wrong way. She let out a scream and yelled unlady like language. She may kill me before this is all over.