american diesel vs sprinter

dawggone

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We own several Sprinters but are considering a ford or GMC. How does the weight and fuel on these vehicles compare to a sprinter. Also what if we added an aerocell body how would this affect the fuel milage.

Looking forward to some insight. Thank you and stay safe out there.

Jim

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Better look back through these forums at what the "routine" maintenance will cost you with the Sprinter. GM or Ford with Aerocell is a much better choice as far as I'm concerned but I still think the gas engine is the best option. I think the fact that Sprinter now has a gas option is telling you something. My humble opinion.

Dieseldoctor

PS If you get the Aerocell I recommend the barn doors over the hatchback type.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I will respond based upon experience with the Duramax.

1. More GM dealers, with trained service techs, available throughout the country.

2. Maintenance items are less expensive.

3. Torque and horsepower bands are more efficient.

4. Initial purchase price average is $6000 less.

5. Duramax is quieter and smoother.

6. Loaded, or empty, the Duramax fuel economy is almost identical. The Sprinter is rated a little higher, but the Sprinter loaded MPG's seem to make the overall parameters nearly equal.

7. Handles better in windy conditions.

PS. IMHO, unless I had a guaranteed freight contract that required a taller load capacity, I couldn't justfy the expense. On the other hand, if I didn't really need the income, the Sprinter is more comfortable in which to live.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
In October 2006 a church up near the Michigan line asked me to consider being their pastor.

I sold the van to help them out.

After 9 months of trying to sell our house in Dayton, the church and myself agreed that they needed a full time pastor who was residing in their area. A retired pastor offered to help out so I kept working my regular job here in Dayton.

If I am going to do anything outside of the ministry, I work better if I work for myself. I have had too many managers who have asked me to compromise my ethics and values. Driving affords me a great deal of liberty and I have been able to help folks while on the road.

As far as why I switched to a gas van this time. Reduced operating costs. Gas is easier to find. Gas is usually less expensive. FSC's are based on Diesel Prices.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
The only thing I see as a down side is that my 06 with a d-max weighs 710 pounds more empty than the same if it were a gas model so if your carrier requires you to haul 3001 pounds to get a higher rate you will have a problem if you install a bunk and have all your goodies in the van, my van weighs 7100 pounds without me in it, thats with a full tank of fuel and a bunk and all the stuff I need to have out here. of course if you buy a sprinter then the weights are not really a issue from what I heard. I have had people argue with me about the curb weight of the van I direct them to GM's commerical web site where they can see it for themself. The web site lets you build the van the way you want with the weight of each option listed, like if you want a d-max over the 4.8 liter gas if adds 708 pounds if you wanted power mirrors it adds .02 pounds,chrome bumper and halogen headlights was something like 1.7 pounds and so-on and so-on and so-on. This of course is a chevy I do not claim do know anything about the fords weight with a diesel maybe someone with one can list there curb weight so we can see the difference

60 MPH ALL-DAY EVERY DAY